Is it a good choice for travel photography?

pensacolaphoto

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I am now thinking of using my set aside Mamiya 645E camera for street photography for a trip overseas. The negatives from the 80mm Mamiya lens were always sharp and since I have a Schneider 120mm lens that cost me a lot in the past, I want to use that great lens again. The weight is a factor, of course, but if I limit myself to one lens, the set is not that bad. I also have a 50mm lens by Zeiss Jena. The 180mm lens is a monster, and it is reserved for local shots.</p>

<p> Maybe I have forgotten about the weight! I am curious if anyone here is still using such a camera on the go, and why.</p>

<p>Raid</p>

<p>With the 645E I wouldn't worry about the weight so much, rather it's not the most inconspicuous camera for doing street photography. Since it doesn't have a WLF you'll be holding it up in front of your face: not exactly discrete. However, if that doesn't bother you then the weight should be a non-issue. I've always used Op/Tech straps on my bodies and they distribute the weight really well.<br>

Of course I've been known to walk around with an RB67 with prism finder and grip hanging around my neck, so I'm probably not the best example.</p>

<p>"<em>I am now thinking of using my set aside Mamiya 645E camera for street photography for a trip overseas."</em><br>

<br />Like Tom said the 645E because of its size is not exactly the best camera for street photography. A major problem is trying to hand hold the camera and lens. I have a Mamiya 645 1000s and most of the time the shutter speed is parked at 1/500 or greater to avoid camera shake even under bright sunlight.</p>

<p>This does not bode very well for you when the sun starts going down in the sky and you are shooting at ISO 100. You can miss allot of pictures during that time, because the shutter speed is to slow to hand hold the camera. If you bring a tripod along maybe you can get by, but again not for street photography. Since you are shooting film you might also want to bring along a protective case for your film for when it goes through the X-ray machine at the airport.</p>

<p>One thing for sure, if you want to attract attention to yourself the 645E will surely do that. All the tourist with their little point and shoots will look at you and wonder what you are up to. Nothing wrong with that though, you might be able to strike up some good conversations with the natives., which could lead to exciting photo opportunities. This is what use to happen to me when I use to lug my big 4X5 around town.</p>

<p>Raid, I'm curious about the Schneider and Zeiss Jena lenses you mention. AFAIK, Schneider never made any lenses in M645 fitting, so I'm assuming you've got a Pentacon 6-to-Mamiya adapter that you're using these lenses with. Doesn't this lose you the auto aperture function? And if so, how do you cope with this slow setup while doing street photography?</p>

<p>If you are using a P6 to M645 adapter, how do you find it? I'm considering getting one myself to use my 50mm and 180mm Zeiss Jena lenses on a ProTL.</p>

<p>Rodeo Joe:<br>

I made an error about the Schneider lens. I bought a brand new Schneider Xenar 150/4 from Beyer Camera in Germany years ago. I use a P6 to M645 adapter to use this lens on the Mamiya. I love the 180mm 2.8 CZJ for portaits, and also the very sharp SChneider. This lens costs a bundle when the mount is not P6. The 50mm CZJ is a great lens too. I used to use it for weddings in the past. Yes, I lose the open aperture function, but this is unimportant to me. Get such an adapter (or two). and start enjoying the wonderful CZJ lenses in P mount. </p>

<p>Harry Joseph: I may take with me on the trip a Bessa R RF camera and a fast normal lens, such as the J-5 5cm/1.5 for evening shots. This is not a problem. I am after faces .... in detail. I will try the MS for this goal. In bright sunshine, f 11-16 will be used anyways, and when I said "street photography", I really meant "taking photos in the streets", which may not be the same. I always ask for permission before taking photos of people in the Middle East. I will take with me a small tripod for interiors of mosques. I have done this before in Damascus, Syria. The results were great.<br>

Just a few minutes ago, I took the first photos with the Mamiya and the 150/4, after not using this camera for about 6-7 years. The battery light still lights up bright green.</p>

<p>X-ray at airports is another issue. Film photography is my preferred choice, so I will have tod eal with it. Using lead-covered pouches will not help since in many airports the inspectors then increase the X-ray power again and again. I will have ISO 100 film for minimal damage, if at all.</p>

<p>"Since you are shooting film you might also want to bring along a protective case for your film for when it goes through the X-ray machine at the airport."</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Raid, that's a very good suggestion. My girlfriend will be taking my Pentax K5 kit, and I know that will be our low-light/night camera of choice.<br>

Now I just need to decide if I pack B&W or colour film! That's a whole other thread.... :-)</p>

<p>Raid, in the past (probably not anymore though), I was able to hand my rolls of film to the attendant and thus avoided them getting zapped by X-rays. Here in the US, airport scanners are set at a low enough power where they won't affect the film, but I've heard stories about those in other countries that were set to levels high enough such that they would fog the film. As to how you can tell ahead of time which to avoid, I have no idea.</p>