skimmer ground pod II query

sanjay_chaudary

<p>Hi,<br>

Is skimmer ground pod designed to have camera attached directly or only with a head?<br>

I was trying to attach my camera directly , but the default thread is 3/4 inch on the ground pod. Are there any situations when one needs to attach the camera directly?<br>

Can I use the reducer bushing if I want to change 3/4inch to 1/2 inch to fit the camera ?<br>

I also noticed that the 3/4 inch bolt was detachable . If I detach it, what are the options that I could replace it with? ( Only bolts of different diameters or are there any other accessories which could enhance its purpose )<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Charles, thanks for pointing it out. That is actually 3/8 " thread and Adorama stocks a bushing to convert the 3/8" to 1/4" . I was wondering if I could use that to fit the camera directly to the ground pod. The skimmer ground pod is frisbee shaped with 3/8" thread to which a head can be attached or lens with plate. It is meant for ground level shots. </p>

<p>Sanajay,<br>

You can use the bushing and connect the camera directly. But I am pretty sure you won't like how it works. Without some sort of riser block no matter what lens you have mounted it will be too close to the ground. Also you will find that you will want to be able to adjust the angle of the camera if only just a little. Then there is the fact that the ground is not always level or even. I suggest using a riser block and/or some kind of head, (either a ball head or pan tilt), to get your chin out of the mud and compensate for your subject being a few degrees above or below you or your setup being on a slight incline. In my case I use a discarded 10 inch frying pan from our kitchen with a 2 inch stack of fender washers as a riser and a spare pan tilt head. Does the job, costs less and has a handle.</p>