Where do I start? Wanting to start photography!

maereth_elliad

<p>Hey,<br /><br />I am completely new to Photography, but I really want to make a start. I want to know if there are any places where I can go on the internet for the technical, to learn, because where ever I try to go they don't start with explaining it to beginners.<br /><br />I want to know what it's like to be a photographer, advice on where I should start, how you'd go about it and so on. Should I try and take a course at a college? Try and find work with a photographer? <br /><br />And where do I start and how? They seem like silly questions, but I honestly wouldn't know.<br /><br />I've been on this site before and was a regular, I used to go through peoples photographs for ages in awe at the work. And I think this site has been my main influence for starting up photography. </p>

<p>Technically, beginning photography books from, say, your local library and a digital camera.<br /> Visually, take notes on all things visual and why they interest or don't interest you...also, look at books, magazine, newspaper etc...</p>

<p>Alternatively, you could do research on the 'net but I find it too scattering and not comprehensive enough. I prefer having it all together to help me understand and see how things relate to each other...it also helps me to remember easier. </p>

<p>Start by taking photographs. If you have a passion for the end result--the photograph--you will become a photographer. If not, this too will pass. Once you have the camera, the next step it to determine what you are passionate to photograph. No one can teach you that. Like most everything that is worthwhile in life it is a journey, not a destination.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Alternatively, you could do research on the 'net but I find it too scattering and not comprehensive enough. I prefer having it all together to help me understand and see how things relate to each other...it also helps me to remember easier.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, that's exactly why I asked where to go, because I can't find anything on the internet which makes sense to me. I'll have a browse through Amazon, do you have any suggestions for books?</p>

<p>Hi, Annalee,</p>

<p>I see you've just registered today on PNet, so welcome.</p>

<p>Since you're starting at the beginning of the learning curve, I think the best thing to do is enroll in a photography course at a community college. An instructor there will be able to advise you on what camera type you'll need for the course, hopefully one that will be useful to you beyond the course limits. Once you have the camera, just start shooting, a lot. As time passes, you should be able to see improvement in your technique, style, etc.</p>

<p>And, of course, come here with questions!</p>

<p>Good luck, and Happy New Year...</p>

<blockquote>

<p> If you have a passion for the end result--the photograph--you will become a photographer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, Gary, that is what I want - The final result, the final outcome of the picture that I take. I prefer taking pictures of nature; animals, gardens, structures, buildings, flowers and that sort of stuff. It helps that I live by a beach.<br /><br />Do any of you have any photo editing software you'd recommend? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Go to the 'learning' tab at top right of page and click on 'Online Textbook'.<br />That will be a good start.<br />Best regards,<br />/Clay</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thank you, I shall do. A bit new to the site :) And thank you for the response. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />Once you have the camera, just start shooting, a lot. As time passes, you should be able to see improvement in your technique, style, etc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hopefully, and I'll try and see what I can do about college and see if I can enrol on a course, or even a club or something of the sort. <br>

</p>

<p>Hi and Welcome! For the beginning photographer, there is always a tension between mastering the technical aspects and 'seeing' what it is you want to photograph. In the digital era with the possibility of instant results and pretty sophisticated hardware, I'd say to begin with learning to 'see' and then refine with the necessary understanding of the technical aspects.<br>

So here's a plan:<br>

1. Photograph anything and everything with whatever camera you have. Discover what interests you, what looks good to you and what does not.<br>

2. Refine what you photograph, taking account of aspects of light (quantity, quality, colour), pattern, shape / form, texture, colour and composition<br>

3. Get to grips with how these technical factors impact on your photographs: shutter speed, f stops, ISO settings, focusing point - embracing subject movement, camera shake, depth of field, exposure<br>

4. Get to grips with compositional aspects (e.g. rule of thirds, lead-in lines, balance, positive & negative space etc.).<br>

This should keep you busy for weeks / months / years and will be great fun along the way.</p>

<p>Finally enjoy!</p>

<p>Yes and no! Basically, the better the camera, the easier it is to take the images you are trying to capture. However, great and poor photographs can can be taken on anything. For me, the key is flexibility. Some here recommend a compact camera to get you started then get a DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera. Compact cameras a great, but can suffer in two key respects: 1 - the ability to control depth of field (e.g. keeping your main subject in focus and allow other elements to blur with distance); 2 - the ability to add external flash (on camera flash tends to look horrible); 3 - ability in low light (sensors are smaller and images can look 'grainy').</p>

<p>I personally would look at an entry level DSLR. I'm a Nikon shooter and can recommend the D3100 with basic kit lens (18-55mm) for starters. It's light (for a DSLR) and you can add to it as you develop. The 55-300mm Nikon lens is excellent. The Canon equivalent is also fine, although in my opinion, Nikons seem to be better built at the same price points.</p>

<p>On the software front, Photoshop Elements is fine and inexpensive. If you get a D3100, Nikon Capture NX is excellent.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would say you need a passion for the process, not just the end result. It's what will see you through the dry periods, the bad pictures, and the good times as well. At the beginning, the end result is not going to match that of more practiced or stronger photographers. Something else has to keep you going.</p>

<p>Look at the work of real first tier photographers, maybe on the Masters-of-Photography website. Learning Photography is like eating an Elephant. One bite at a time...and you should start with two books, something basic and technical, and something about philosophy, the why of making photographs. Also enrich yourself by going to art shows, museums, galleries, etc., and talk to the artists. If your interest is commercial, volunteer as a gopher and/or janitor for a working photographer. </p>

<p>Hi Annalee, welcome and welcome to a wonderful journey into photography.<br>

A lot of good tips already given, but to fill in on 2 more specific questions you asked:</p>

<ol>

<li><strong>Good books</strong>. My go-to-advice is always '<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325001758&sr=8-1"><em>Understanding Exposure</em></a>' by Brian Peterson. It's a very solid introduction into photography basics. It's a bit the 'technical' side of matters, it will focus less on the creative side. There are good books for that too, but in my experience, it's better first to get started, before hitting these books. One step at a time - getting the lessons of 'Understanding Exposure' into your system first, then the next step :-)</li>

<li><strong>Budget/camera</strong>: keep it relatively simple, but I'd recommend a camera with exchangable lenses (be it a DSLR or a camera like the PEN or NEX), because they'll allow you to grow further than most compacts. But you do not need the most expensive models to get started, and the standard supplied lenses ("kitlenses") are typically quite good and very useful. Once you're further down the road, you may find need for other lenses or more advanced features - but at present you cannot tell what you need and do not need, so no need to spend money on features you don't know.</li>

</ol>

<p>Most of all, take it easy and look a lot at photos: your own, those of others, the masterworks - try to find why some photos work for you, and some not. Look for photos all the time, even when you do not have your camera, imagine for yourself how you would photograph certain things. Learning to see is maybe the nicest thing to learn - you will find interesting scenes near everywhere.</p>

<p>Other thoughts! I learnt to photograph using a manual everything camera - no exposure meter, no focusing aids etc. I shot slide film where your guesstimates about light levels had to be accurate. Automation just made things easier.</p>

<p>I've been taking pictures for 35 years, but my photography improved significantly when I joined a photographic society 6 years ago. It wasn't my proficiency with the camera that changed, but my understanding of what makes a good image did. The best talk we have had in the last 6 years was by someone with a fine art degree who then discovered photography - the key being an understanding of light and composition before she'd ever picked up a camera.</p>

<p>So of my list of things to understand, perhaps they could be crystalised as: photograph things that interest you; understand how differing light makes your subject look different (e.g. at different times of day, or sunny/ overcast etc); understand how composition impacts on your image. The camera I recommended can be used in 'program' mode with auto everything - leaving you to concentrate on lighting and composition in the first instance - as well as fully manual and various points in between. In other words, your camera will grow with you as you develop.</p>

<p>welcome to photo net<br>

I and many others prefer film cameras, but we are old Codgers and set in our ways<br>

Digital cameras are far less expensive to use. I thing buying an inkjet printer is an expensive way to print.<br>

it is far less expensive to go to ma store and use their machines. BUT take a cd not your original camera card.<br>

Quality film P&S cameras are now inexpensive. Canon and others make some good (well made) cameras.<br>

that will let you try film without spending a lot of money. here I go again-walmart send out film and a 24 exp roll costs<br>

abut $7.00 to process and print or you could have a cd made. <br>

don't jump in with both feet and speend too much at first.<br>

a simple do everything digital or film camera will deprive you of some creatiev controlss.<br>

but it will also relieve you of setting things when you concentrate on taking good photos.<br>

learn to actually see what you are shooting and frame anc compose. this will avoid " trees growing out of peoples heads..<br>

or catching folks with one eye closed etc. once you are pleas3ed with the sesults, then move on to a better camera. at that point you will have a better idea of what you need and which model better suits your needs.<br>

this is a great place to ask questions and learn. many here have a great depth of experience which they are more than willing to share. A very few might be too harsh or off track but the other 99% ar excellent.</p>

<p>Annalee, I would suggest "basic" and "beginners" books. Read them and understand them but importantly, remember the views are only those of the author. No one can tell you what the best photograph is or what is the best way to get to the results you are looking for. You will read lots of "rules" and helpfull tips. Learn these rules first then dont be afraid to break them.<br>

If you do buy a camera in the near future, I would suggest you make it a very cheap basic one. There is a very good chance that if you went out and bought an all singing camera and several lenses now, you would want to change them for some reason as you learn.</p>

<p>Do you know anyone who is into photography? They will probably be very happy to share their knoledge with you.</p>

<p>I second the recommendation of Bryan Peterson's book, <em>Understanding Exposure</em>. It will give you a good understanding of the technical aspects of achieving a "proper" exposure, and what the tradeoffs are.</p>

<p>Peterson also wrote another book that I like, <em>Learning to See Creatively</em>. Unlike <em>Exposure</em>, this one is about the creative side of photography, composition. There are some rules-of-thumb that can be used to achieve pleasing composition. Once you understand what those rules are telling you, you can decide when to break them, but they remain a good starting point. What makes the difference between an ordinary image and an extraordinary one?</p>

The most important thing is to find out what you enjoy shooting, or whether you enjoy photography at all. You might hate

sports and love fashion or vice versa. You might prefer video over stilll photography, but you'll never know until you try many different possibilities.

Get out there TODAY with whatever camera you have available - even if it's in your phone - and shoot, shoot, shoot. Then review your work on you computer monitor. Don't worry if some of it doesn't look as good as you expected; you can fine tune your technique later. When you find something that you REALLY enjoy, you can focus on improving the technical aspects of your shots and learning about the business of photography. Don't worry about those things in the beginning.

Also don't worry about people who tell you that you need a certain kind of camera or a certain type of lens or a particular

brand of software. What works for them might not work for you. When you decide what YOU want to do, the tools and

techniques that you need will become apparent.

Remember, take pictures in as many different situations as you can, and first and foremost have fun.

<p>I also agree with Gary Woodard.</p>

<p>I have no specific advice as to cameras but a DSLR is a good bet. Also, the micro 4/3, NEX or Nikon 1 formats are worth looking at. Please feel free to ask us questions like "what's the difference between the D3100 and the D700?". What are we here for, otherwise? We like to learn and we like to help others learn, too.</p>

<p>As has been stated, the two commandments we always give out to beginners:</p>

<p>1. Take lots of photos.</p>

<p>2. Look at lots of photos (examples: old stock catalogues; National Geographic; Vogue and Bazaar; movies with top-class cinematographers are also worth watching carefully).</p>

<p>I tend to recommend against any kind of training (and I strongly recommend against a degree). Not because they're wrong but because they're a waste of money and time (I am pro-education, but a photography degree is not education). Wouldn't you rather spend your time and money improving your photography? I think photography clubs are probably fine, as are workshops. A quick beginner's course is fine, too. Why not?</p>

<p>FWIW I have taken some great photos with my mobile phone. They are limiting but so were Box Brownies. :-)</p>

<p>As always: my two cents. Be the photographer that you want to be, not the one that other people say you should be.</p>

<p>One of the wonderful things about photography in the digital age is the easy ability to follow through the process. You take the photo and then you develop it in editing maybe little maybe a lot. So if you are hoping to get into the industry I second the early suggestion to get Adobe Elements as it is the capable first step to the industry standard of Photoshop proper. On the other hand I enjoy/prefer working with Paint Shop Pro ... but basically it seems people like what they start with and get used to. For starters you will probably find these programmes mind-boggling in complexity but hang in there and it will start to make sense with experience and practice.</p>