Contax S2B or Leica R6.2

lewis_henning

<p>(Not sure if I'm in the right category here...?)</p>

<p>I was recently going to by a full frame digital SLR but I decided against due to the cost and the fact that they devalue so fast. I think I will buy one, one day, when I know it's the right on and I have a bit more cash at hand.</p>

<p>I've recently remembered how good it is to shoot film. So I'm using an FM2 at the moment. It's great, you have to take so much more care about the shot.</p>

<p>Anyway, to the point. More as an indulgence, I was thinking of buy something different. I still want a mechanical camera, just a light meter. And I would like a 35mm, fast lens (about f1.4 or f2 ish).</p>

<p>Contax S2B<br>

Contax Carl Zeiss T* Distagon 35mm f1.4</p>

<p>or</p>

<p>Leica R6.2<br>

Leica 35mm f1.4 Summilux-R</p>

<p>or</p>

<p>Any other suggestions…? (A Leica M6 or M7 would be very nice but I don't think I could afford a lens for it.) I think though the M7 is auto isn't it? Maybe an MP?</p>

<p>I don't know a great deal about the S2B or the R6.2. I've read some reviews about the Contax S2B and it seems it's very loud and quite clunky. Still researching the Leica R6.2. But my research so far hasn't found any comparison between the two. Any info on the lenses would be cool too, I've read lots of good things about the Contax Carl Zeiss T* Distagon 35mm f1.4 although it's big and heavy.</p>

<p>Like I said it's a bit of an indulgence. I know it's more about what's in the photo not the camera that took it. But the way I see it, if I buy right, then hopefully I shouldn't lose any money if I want to sell it later on down the line.</p>

<p>I think these later manual cameras like the OM3 and above are quite interesting, the technology was there to create more advanced electronic cameras but manufactures carried on making this manual versions.</p>

<p>Your comments about very much appreciated.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>You could always buy a nice Nikon F2A or F2AS and a Zeiss ZF 35/1.4. Getting service/parts down the road will probably be a lot easier with an F2 than with either the Contax or the Leica. If you want "different", you could recover the Nikon - I have a CLA'd F2 Photomic clad (finder & body) in dark green (verdigris) leather - looks awesome and, of course, being an F2, works perfectly. Between the body, finder, CLA and leather, I think it cost me ~$300, and it will last a lifetime.</p>

<p>It's easy to overlook among all the text, but if you look at Community Guidelines here<br /> <br /><a href="../info/guidelines/">http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines/</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />9. <strong>Don't post the same question to multiple forums. If you have a question about shooting portraits on the beach in Hawaii with a Nikon camera, don't post it in the Travel, Lighting, Nature, Portraits and Nikon forums. Just pick one (probably Portraits in this example).</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>also see http://www.photo.net/info/terms-of-use</p>

<p>Lewis,<br>

This lens is nothing short of amazing. I'm only a hack, but the images it produces are incredibly sharp and very nicely rendered. It worked well on my D200 and still shines on the D7000. It is an AiS, manual focus, so it pretty much can be slapped on any film Nikon. When at 5.6 it is my sharpest lens.<br>

Mr. Bjorn Rorslett sings its praises, and THAT is saying something!<br>

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html">http://www.naturfotograf.com</a><br>

"Click the spider, click "Lenses" on the left then click "Wide angles" at the bottom of the page and scroll to the 35 1.4."<br>

Enjoy.</p>