New gem in my camera collection

<p>

<p>Hi to all,<br>

First, although I don't post often, I read Photo.net regularly. It's a fine site.<br>

Recently got a like new Minolta SR-T202 + Rokkor 50mm/1.7. Oh man, that cam is a gem. All mechanical and manual, excellent and clear viewfinder displaying exposure settings. Easy focusing, even in low light. Built like a tank and smooth mechanism. ISO setting up to 6400. Just love it. Now I'm torn between my Nikons FM and that Minolta. Sigh! I hate GAS. Unfortunately, I don't have pics yet to post.<br>

Happy shooting to all!<br>

Pierre, Montréal, Canada</p>

</p>

<p>I have an SR-T 201 and I agree that these cameras are a pleasure to shoot. But so are the Nikons. And the Canons. And the Olympuses. And the Pentaxes...</p>

<p>One thing that does irritate me, in a very small way, with Minolta's lenses is that they don't have a good gripping surface for use when mounting and unmounting them. Nikon gives you that nice non-moving silver ring between the focus and aperture rings for a grip, but Minolta doesn't provide anything comparable (nor does Olympus, for that matter). Sometimes there's enough of a gap between focus and aperture rings that you can hold onto the inner barrel at that point, but sometimes the gap is too small for that. I end up having to twist the aperture ring all the way to one side and then push it farther to make the whole lens turn. It's no more than a minor annoyance, but since I'm used to Nikon it seems like a rather thoughtless oversight.</p>

<p>I agree - the SRTs are beautiful. Years ago, as a teenager, I had an SRT-100X with a 50/1.7 - it was a joy to use (except for the power switch on the base), but solid as a rock and the CLC meter was super reliable. Alas - it was stolen and I replaced it with an OM-1. I need another camera like a hole in the head, but I really should try to find another SRT, for old time's sake.</p>

<p>Hi Pierre, I find Minolta has some of the best value-for-the-money lenses right now if you're buying online, and the cameras are hard to beat. I will always keep one or two bodies around because I have a couple of lenses in Minolta mount that I can't afford to replace (like a close-focusing, ie 4inches, Vivitar 20mm and the Rokkor 50mm 3.5 macro with 1:1 extension tube). I also happen to think the earlier SR series looks really cool, I have the SR-1 and SR-7 with the clip-on accessory meters. Not sure if I presently have a 201 and I'm not going upstairs to look, but I know I've had one or two in the past.</p>

<p>Jody in Montreal</p>