Something better then a Holga but just as portable?

jon_kobeck1

I have always said to myself it would be great to have a MF camera that was as portable as a Holga, but offered the

ability to focus and set f stops etc.

There are times when I don't feel like carrying my Hasselblad around :)

And I had folders, I wasn't impressed. Mainly I didn't care for the rangefinder

<p>Mr. Kobeck...</p>

<p>How about considering a nice 1950s era MF folder? If you get one with a good sample of a four to five element lens, the resulting slide or negative will be fairly close to that obtainable with your Hasselblad. Folded it will fit in a coat pocket. </p>

<p>A. T. Burke</p>

The Mamiya 6 or 7 is something I always wanted. They are expensive though :(

Not sure if I need to spend a couple thousand on body and lens when I have my Hasselblad here.

Im also not crazy about rangefinders.

I had a 1950 era folder I bought from that guy who refurbs them, Jurgen something? Again, I don't like

estimating the distance. I like to focus

Perhaps the Yashica Mat, I never held one, but it doesn't look too portable

<p>There are hundreds of very lightweight and portable folding MF cameras. Most don't cost anything like as much as even the depressed prices of cameras like the Mamiya and such. Plus they are so cool that they show up in the hands of models in fashion photography. ;)</p>

<p>Zeiss Ikon, east and west, and other German manufacturers all had cameras of this sort. One of my favorites is the MF version made by <a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00YUPh">Welta</a> (who also made TLRs). Ikonta and Ercona are other names to search for.</p>

<p>If you want a box camera, then consider something on the lines of the Perfekta or similar cameras, both from Japan, the USA, and Germany. Some of the Brownies are amazingly good (see Gene M's posts). There's nothing cooler than bakelite art deco, after all is said and done. They weren't constructed purposely to take bad pictures, either.</p>

<p>My favorite lightweight? folder is my Ansco Titan. It uses 120 film and produces (12) 6x6 images. Unlike other Ansco bellows cameras, it does not have brittle patent leather leaky bellows nor does the focus helix lubed with notorious "green" lubricant that time causes it to become cement. The lens and shutter appear to be a product of Wollensak. I'm happy to own a camera that performs quite above average and made in the U.S.A.</p>

<p>I know you said you didn't like the folders, but have you considered one with a coupled rangefinder like the Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16 or Agfa Super Isolette. With one of those you wouldn't have to "estimate" the distance, just line up the images and it's in focus (similar to a Leica). They can be found with some pretty decent glass and the build quality is quite good. You should be able to pick one of these up for under $300 pretty easily.</p>

<p>The Fuji GA645 series cameras are exactly what you seek. They are super high quality,light, autofocus 645 cameras, with built in pop up flashes, and razor sharp lenses. Essentailly, Medium Format Point and Shoots, BUT, they also allow full manual control. The lenses in these cameras are as sharp as my Zeiss lenses. In fact, I more often grab a GA than my Contax 645, simply because they are so light, portable, quick and easy to use. And the built in flash is great too.<br /> Anyways, the GA645i, Wi, and Zi are the primary variants. 60mm/45mm, and 55-90 zooms respectively. I have all 3, they are fantastic! Best of all, they go for around 500USD now. Check out Keh.com, and the used departments of Adorama and BH Photo.</p>

<p>I am not entirely familiar with the Fuji but I would imagine that it produces more contrasty images than the Ikonta. These two cameras are about as far apart as one can get in the compact MF category. The Fuji has auto everything, the Zeiss is all manual (even with the model 533 with the built in meter). The Zeiss is at least 60 years old, the Fuji is at most about 15. Quite different glass on these two cameras- I don't feel that one or the other is better but a Tessar (Zeiss) and Planar (Fuji) design each produce very distinct looks.</p>

<p>Mr. Kobeck…</p>

<p>1. “I had a 1950 era folder I bought from that guy who refurbs them, Jurgen something? Again, I don't like estimating the distance. I like to focus.” </p>

<p>You can see from some of the posts after my first one that there are good folders with coupled rangefinders. You have now also been acquainted with the Super Ikonta. It is a nice camera. </p>

<p>If I were to buy a 6x6 folder with a coupled rangefinder today (I already have about a dozen), I’d pick an AGFA Super Isolette III with the Solinar F:3.5 lens. The Solinar lens has four elements and the F:3.5 is sharper than the F:4.5. The III has automatic film loading/advancing, no red window to mind. The III also has the whole lens move for focusing rather than just the front element for sharper results. It is one of the smaller 6x6 folders and has a shape/contour that makes for easy in and out of a pocket movement. </p>

<p>2. “which would produce better image IQ the Super Ikonta or Fuji GA645” </p>

<p>All things being equal, sample for sample, most GA645s. </p>

<p>A. T. Burke</p>