RAF files and CS3: possible w/ DNG conversion?

<p>Hello, thank you in advance for your patience w/ my limited knowledge base. :-).<br>

OK, here's the deal: 1) Got a new Fuji X100; 2) I'm trying to learn to work in RAW; 3) Fuji produces RAF files that aren't compatible w/ CS3 (for the X-100 anyway).<br>

I have installed the 4.6 update to ACR; it still won't open files. In talking to Adobe, they say that I need to upgrade to CS5 in order to work w/ X-100 RAF files. I, of course, would prefer not to upgrade at this time if I don't have to.<br>

I have heard that files can be converted to a DNG format that will work with most programs.So, my question is: is it possible to convert RAF files from the X-100 to DNG so that Bridge and PS CS3 can be used? <strong>If so, <em>how is it done?</em> </strong><br>

Are there any X-100 or other RAF folks out there who can help me with this? What do you do? I'd prefer to stay with Adobe Bridge/PS if possible. I've put in some time on the learning curve there as well as $$$ on books, etc., so using another post-processing program really seems that I would be starting from scratch. (Boo!)<br>

If my only option is upgrading to CS5 or changing post-processing programs, I suppose I will have to consider it. <strong>I want to be sure that there aren't any other viable options before going that route.</strong> I can always continue to shoot .jpg and post process in ACR, but I've been convinced that RAW is the way to go, so I'd really like to make that transition.<br>

What say you?</p>

<p>If the latest version of ACR in CS5 will handle RAF files, then the latest version of DNG Converter should also work. No personal experience here, but I've seen posts on other forums which indicate that the DNG conversion works with RAF files. Try it and see for yourself. The DNG Converter download from Adobe is free, so it's worth a shot...</p>

<p>William, Howard, and Brooks: Thanks so much for your responses. I followed the link, Brooks, and did find that my ACR update was not the newest version, so I have installed that one. I will see if it will work for me the next time I download some pics and have opportunity to check the "DNG" box. <br>

Fingers crossed for luck! Thanks again. :-)</p>

<p>Aaaarrrggg! What am I doing incorrectly?<br>

I have installed the 6.5 version of Adobe DNG file converter. I'm making sure that the program and Bridge are actually open. When I dl files from the card , I get a message at the end that says " x number of files copied, however x number of DNG files failed", or something to that effect. Any more trouble-shooting advice?<br>

Thanks for you input (and patience). </p>

<p>That is a good thought as I've been shooting each pic in both jpg and RAW. After the above, I went back to look: I now have jpg, RAF and FFBD.dat files (I have NO idea what that last one is!), but no DNG's that I can find anywhere; (sigh). Once again, back to the drawing board...</p>

<p>Okay, this is where I'm at: even though the Adobe web-site said the X-100 is supported by the 6.5 ACR/DNG converter version, both the good folks at Adobe and Fujifilm tell me that as of yet, the DNG files cannot <em>at this time</em> (i.e. maybe in the future) be done from the X-100 RAF files. So, the process is to convert RAF to jpg in SilkyPix (the Fuji converter), and then move the jpg to ACR/PS CS3 for further adjustments if wanted. This requires an extra step, but at least it sort of works.<br>

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.</p>