Are 1Ds users satisfied with 1Dx specs?

zafar1

<p>Canon has merged the 1D/1Ds lines into 1Dx.</p>

<p>I see a lot of positive comments from users of 1D series who are enthusiastic about the Speed, ISO, Video capability, in-camera HDR/CA correction, etc.</p>

<p>I would like to know the opinions of actual users of 1Ds lines (Mk II and Mk III) what they think about it. Do you think 1Dx is a worthy upgrade from 1Ds Mk III as a photography tool (excluding Video)?</p>

<p>I personally don't think that the improvements in AF, ISO, Video, or in-camera processing are relevant to the 1Ds series users. Although if the images from this camera at Base ISO are as good as (or better than those) from 5D Mark I or (more importantly) Leica M-9, it may be a worthy successor.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Who knows... Unknown are (in no particular order) noise quantity, content and pattern; color channel processing; image headroom (i.e. "resistance" to torture in post); banding, moire and othe artifacts; VF quality, et cetera.</p>

<p>Most certainly it looks like a wonderful camera, and I'll get one if only for its low-light capability and fps, but will hold on to the 1Ds3 for now.</p>

<p>Specs aren't images. Frankly, if the camera (and it's added functionality) can create gorgeous images at ISO12800+ (as it's competitor, the D3X can), then that capability alone is worth upgrading for. I only use 1Ds3s on rare occasions, as, for me, they don't represent a compelling improvement in IQ over the 5D2. (no BIFs for me!) To me, the potential is exciting. I can't wait to see test imagery. The AF, AI, and other improvements, aren't as important to me... </p>

<p>I'm kind of expecting a big leap forward in IQ (specifically at very high ISO), and to me, that'll be the deal maker/breaker. The current 1s do pretty darn well at everything else, but suck (an admittedly highly subjective opinion ;-) ) compared to the D3x @ high ISO stuff. I want THAT, only better, which, spec-wise it certainly is. </p>

<p>Well, I am very happy that I went ahead and bought a 5D II a couple of weeks ago. This is an odd step backward for the 1Ds series. I can't help but think that there is still another shoe to drop. But, I guess not.</p>

<p>Until now I have owned a 1Ds full frame for architecture/landscapes and a Nikon D2X for sports. I now have to make do with the 5D II for sports, which will be fine for most of my needs, and it absolutely excells for landscapes/architecture.</p>

<p>I find it very unfortunate that Canon has not adopted the Nikon technique of providing a crop sensor and full frame sensor in one body. The D3x offers a crop mode to increase speed, and I had been envisioning a Canon 1DsIV, with an 18 MP crop file and a 36 MP full frame file. Oh, well. </p>

<p>I have also been expecting the demise of the 1D series and this 1Ds X certainly seems to be the right nail in that coffin.</p>

<p> Again, all in all, I am very pleased with my 5D II purchase decision! </p>

<p>I'm irked as a wildlife/nature shooter. The pixel count is too low for serious cropping of wildlife shots or for the highest quality landscape work. I really wanted to avoid buying a 1Ds3 due to the older sensor technology or another 1D4 as I would like a FF for landscape work. I guess another 1D4 it is... shame Canon has never made enough of them and they are still selling over list. </p>

<p>On the fence as a 1Ds III owner. </p>

<p>Improvements in overall speed (not FPS), nicer LCD, dual joysticks are interesting, and I would use the high ISO capabilities on occasion. 18 vs 21 megapixels is not a huge concern, especially if the IQ is really good. Mainly this issue is that I don't have a compelling need to upgrade. The 1Ds III was the first camera where I thought, WOW - this is all I'll ever need as a photographer. I don't think that my opinion has really changed after 2 years of shooting with the camera.</p>

<p>That's because it is, it is not the 1Ds MkIII replacement. It is going to alienate an awful lot of Canon users who are used to the 1.3 crop now too, that has been running for ten years and many have only shot with APS-H, they will get a reality check when they lose their field of view "advantage". But it does mean ultrawides are now back in with a bang!</p>

<p>Personally the 1D MkIV compliments my kit more than a 1DX, but I know I will own one at some stage, the feature on the new body that jumps out at me is the second joystick for vertical control, I use the joystick for focus point selection and it doesn't work well in portrait orientation, great addition, interested in what the second button is on the front next to the dof button, if it has a function or if it is just programable, also notice they are both doubled up, this thing has more buttons than a retired space shuttle!</p>

<p><em>> Reading around I realized the new camera can't autofocus above f/5.6</em><br /> Where..? It seems that f/5.6 applies only to some cross-type AF points and - like other 1D/1Ds cameras - it will be able to focus at f/8 with the center AF point. At least I haven't seen anything trustworthy to the contrary.</p>

<p><em>> link</em><br>

Well, if Chuck says so... There goes budget shooting with 2x TCs for many people.<br>

:-)</p>

<p>Like with every new concept, initially people don't really know what to make of it, and to the market used to the 1D/1Ds dychotomy the Dx is neither fish nor fowl. IMO if the specs are correct and I can get "publication quality" frames at ISO 12800 without serious hocus-pocus in post (and assuming that nothing else on 1Dx really sucks) I'm sold.</p>

<p>I am so glad I bought a MKIV this month. It is hard to believe that the 1.3xcameras are done. That was what set us apart from Nikon. The line has been fabulous for 10 years. Big mistake, Canon. You have just made it easier for loyal customers to jump ship, now that we are all equals.<br>

One reason I did buy the MK IV was because I knew the next camera would be more expensive, and was hoping only a few things beyond my III improved. The IV is fabulous. My used lenses are worth more than I payed for them, everything is going up in price.<br>

I hope this X is phenomenal. I wish them luck, as I want Canon to do well. But I have no use for the X at this time. I have the III and the IV, and really don't find anything holding me back enough to warrant the new X purchase. It will be interesting to see how the 5DIII pans out, because I can't see where they'd offer it during the sales push of the X.</p>

To the OP, I doubt that Canon have merged the 1Ds and 1D lines, the 1DX is headlined as a replacement for the 1D

and is positioned for high speed sports/wildlife use.

What the do seem to have decided is to abandon the APS-H format, presumably pixel density vs cost vs speed now

make this sensible.

My understanding, and I may be wrong, is we will so a very high pixel density 1Ds line going forward in parallel with a

lower pixel density but higher speed 1D line.

This would permit them to complete in both the pixel war high definition Market and the low noise high ISO Market

both with a full frame camera.

The question seems to be more do the 1D users have enough pixel density to aford to crop more else use longer

glass.

Seeing this move the release of the 7D line seems to fit well with the above assumption.

<p><em>> fold out/hinged LCD</em></p>

<p>Huh? There are 2 keywords to describe series 1: performance and durability and let's hope that Canon will never make the 1D/1Ds/1Dx series less durable. My cameras are banged up every day, both in use and in transit, and the last thing I need is a moving LCD that can easily break off. Canon wisely listens to the target market...</p>

<p>Lester, I agree about the lack of autofocus at f8 with a teleconverter not being acceptable. That IS the reason why wildlife shooters buy the MKIII and IV, along with the extra length with the 1.3. Huge difference in the 1DIII, IV, compared to the 7D. My 7D hunted all over the place, so this will not work for me. I doubt very much if a wildlife or sports shooter would consider this 1Dx to be viable. So doubting also that Canon intended this to be a wildlife camera. Who knows what the future brings....Canon never ceases to surprise our scratching heads.</p>

<p>And it bothers me that Canon does not realize how much money they make off of wildlife/sports shooters and therefore wouldn't listen to them. The lenses we use are the most expensive canon offers and so are the cameras. Why oh why would they cut that market out of their future is beyond me. These corporate guys must be very rich and think we will just run out and buy longer lenses. No way. In fact the thought of the 200-400mm future is no longer appealing nor long enough for the cost of it on a FF.<br>

The 1Dx sounds like a beautiful step towards the FF future, but no, it will not replace what we have right now for sports and wildlife. I think one of the biggest reasons canon has kept some shooters in the past is because of their 1.3 cameras. Perhaps FFs are easier to build. This will get interesting....</p>

<p><em>> wildlife, sports</em><br>

Now, how many serious (i.e. willing to part with $7K for a body only) wildlife photographers are there in the world? Even though when you go to a popular wildlife site you'll see gazillions of $$$ worth of equipment and really big crowds of photogs, that's peanuts comparing to the number of event and sport shooters who will use 1Dx. I for one find 300mm too short and 400 mm a tad too long on a 1.3x crop for field sports from the sidelines, but 400 mm is just fine IMO on a FF rig (1Ds3 is a tad too slow for some uses.) And being able to blast at 10 fps at high ISO is a godsend for event shooting.<br>

Of course I speak only for myself and YMMV.</p>

<p>Linda: Yes I am shooting a 7D presently, the best lens I have for birds is a 300/f4 IS +1.4X (yes I COULD do with a 500/f4 but my wife likes to eat!).<br>

Typical cooprative song bids without a hide mean cropping about 1/2 the 7D frame with this setup, results are suprisingly good, but I am sure not up to top end wildlife shooter standards.<br>

I suspect no mater how long a lens you have you will end up cropping for many bird shots. So although I might lust after a high megapixel 1D, the loss of the f8 on the 1Dx and the limited cropping capability (relative to format size) makes the camera of no interest to me.<br>

BTW previously I had a 20D, on this I could get closer by double stacking 1.4X, it would AF fine in good light, the 7D however goes nuts, so I fear the 1Dx may also have an issue with tricks of this sort due to the high performance AF.<br>

On the other hand the 1Dx low noise performance would be great for macro natural light work although the weight would be prohibitive for me in this application.<br>

I am guessing this is why the 7D platform was produced with (very) slightly more rugged construction because this 1Dx was on the road map.<br>

Clearly Canon are stating the 1Dx to replace the 1Ds and 1D, I am just having trouble believing it.<br>

I wonder what this means for the 5D roadmap, more or less megapixels.</p>