What lens to complement the 24-70/2.8

harry_p1

<p>24-70/2.8 is a very popular lens on a FF body, especially for reportage and portraiture.<br>

It's sharp wide open at every setting, keeps lens errors well under control, has a large aperture and covers wide, medium, portrait and semi-macro in one lens.</p>

<p>Photographers who use the 24-70/2.8 as a primary lens: what do you use as a secondary lens?<br>

70-200/2.8, 85/1.2, 100/2.8 macro, 135/2... what would your lens of choice be and why?</p>

<p>Depends on the circumstances:<br>

If I need a wide range of focal lengths, I pair it w/ the 70-200/2.8.<br>

If I'm going to working in tight places w/ questionable light, a couple of fast primes (a 28/1.8 & 50/1.4)<br>

If I'm doing a portrait session, an 85/1.8 (or the 1.2 or 1.4)<br>

If I'm packing light, OTOH I don't pack it. ;-)</p>

<p>If you want more reach, the 100-400mm IS EF-L is an excellent lens and when compared to the 70-200mm IS EF-L lenses, (that will only get you 130mm more than you have now), they are not very expensive, and lighter to carry. A long lens will get you candid and reaction shots you can’t get with the shorter lenses, and they are perfect for photographing children playing. With a solid tripod you can get some unbelievable landscapes.</p>

<p>I'm not asking for advice, I do know what I need. I'm asking for what YOU consider your secondary lens of choice.</p>

<p>Of course, this has only meaning for press, wedding, event, portrait photographers and such, whose working lens is 24-70/2.8.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm not asking for advice, I do know what I need. I'm asking for what YOU consider your secondary lens of choice.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But why do you want to know then?<br>

And <em>you</em> don't tell <em>us</em> what lens it is that you do "need." <br>

If you had done so, it would have eliminated some possible misunderstandings, at least.</p>

>>> I'm not asking for advice, I do know what I need. I'm asking for what YOU consider your secondary

lens of choice.

It's a compact 3.85mm, f/2.8 pre-asph John S, characterized by bokeh resplendent with notions of zinc,

worn plywood and crispy bacon, but equalized with slight overtones of petunia. It's a beaut, and for the

last few months it has become my primary lens.

My 35/1.4 and 24-70/2.8 are now jealous and sulk in the closet...

www.citysnaps.net