Best Camera for Street Photography? (Film)

>>> life's rejects

Interesting... I've shot a ton of portraits of total strangers I've engaged on the street. Many times in marginalized, or what others might

call challenging neighborhoods. And have never felt the need to characterize *anybody* that way. After a portrait it is

always "my friend."

www.citysnaps.net

>>> You may be right Jason but I prefer to be unnoticed at least before I take the picture,

I prefer, and get much better photographs being out in the open. It's only when you're accepted on the street,

with no one caring about what you're doing, that you can understand and relate to the dynamics and take photos that

captures the energy out there, up close. Life goes on - nobody cares.

In San Francisco, I see lots of other shooters trying to hide, shooting with long lenses, sneaking shots, etc. And all it does is raise suspicion and

make people uncomfortable. It comes off as creepy.

My feeling (from looking at their photos) is shooters who do that are not really trying to catch scenes

undisturbed, but rather are afraid of being caught. Probably without good people skills to defuse a situation that

might escalate.

Also, shooting hidden, or from a distance, being tricky, etc, is conceding you're DOING SOMETHING WRONG taking pictures in public. That's

the worst part. People on the street, being far more aware than you think, pick up on that quickly.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Brad, as You know there are some situations that may bring You troubles if someone discover that You are photographing, but the scene is worth it. Most of the time it's OK and only thing You are worry about are people mot staring directly at the camera, but sometimes things may get dangerous... <br>

<a href=" I Want This Cigarette

<a href=" Yawn

<p>I'm not the fan of long lenses for Street photography, 35-40mm are my favourite, but I need quiet camera...</p><div>00Zkqw-425755584.jpg.a3622ae9cf2cd38f5eda173e40c6f0b8.jpg</div>

<p>Zone focusing is fast and easy, and leaves only framing the shot. With a 40mm lens (common on 70s compact rangefinder cameras) at f/8, for close subjects set the focus at 12 feet, and everything between 8 feet and 26 feet will appear more or less sharp. For distant subjects, set the focus at 25 feet, and everything between 12 feet and infinity will appear more or less sharp. I am including a link to a depth of field calculator for your own use. I generally use zone focusing with a vintage 120 folder (though not for street photography), with good results. <a href="http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html">http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html</a> .</p>

>>> Brad, as You know there are some situations that may bring You troubles if someone discover that

You are photographing, but the scene is worth it. Most of the time it's OK and only thing You are worry

about are people mot staring directly at the camera, but sometimes things may get dangerous...

I just take the shot and not worry about being seen after the shutter's released. Though sometimes I like

being seen (creating strong eye contact) at the moment of exposure when taking spontaneous photos. If

somebody has an issue (which is rare) I'd rather address it.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>One does not dabble at street photography. You cannot dabble when you are sucking up someone's soul with you magic box, sometimes making moments people want to forget immortal. Street photography demands that you look life in the face and that you do not blink. It also demands a necessary measure of agony over what the hell you are doing to people you don't know.</p>

<p>There is no correct answer as to what equipment you should use. The equipment should complement your world view as an artist. It is simple as that.</p>

<p>That the question has been asked in the first place suggests that the dabbler does not know what he is doing. There is no sin in that. The only way to find out what you want to do in street photography is to take street photographs and take your lumps--let's hope only metaphorical lumps. Saying that, I suggest that if the artist who initiated this thread wants to try a film camera he should do so by all means. There are lots of them around. </p>

<p>I've used a lot of film cameras for street photography. I have settled on Leicas and rangefinders because I like the feel. I also have this notion that a Leica gives me a certain authority to take street photos. A priest hears your confession. A Leica photographer takes your picture without asking. </p>

<p>Currently I am using a Leica M8 and M9 on a day to day basis. But if I want to go totally stealth I think there are advantages to film cameras. Not having the image instantly produced for all the world to see give one (I think) a kind of cloak of invisibility. Naive? Maybe. But it steadies the nerves.</p>

<p>I've also used waist-level finders. </p>

<p>One of my all time favorite stealth cameras is the Konica Hexar AF. Quiet and unobtrusive. With autofocus it's great for shooting "blind."</p>

<p>In film cameras I like TLRs and medium format folders. Not because they're discrete, though. A TLR is anything but discrete - peering down into a big black box looks odd in almost any setting. Most TLRs can be used at eye level too, which is a really odd sight to most folks. And a folding camera with an accordion-like bellows tends to attract attention. </p>

<p>I like 'em because people seem to respond to them with tolerance, curiosity and humor. TLRs and folders seem to be regarded as quaint and non-threatening. They're good conversation starters.</p>

<p>But in busy situations like street fairs, it doesn't matter much what camera you use. Between the noise and motion, few people really pay much attention to the candid photographer, let alone the type of camera used.</p>

<p><em>"...sometimes making moments people want to forget immortal".</em> <br>

<em>"It also demands a necessary measure of agony over what the hell you are doing to people you don't know."</em><br>

And then we all <strong>admiring</strong> photographs by Josef Koudelka or other Masters of photography, right?...<br>

I'm never photographing i.e. homeless or disabled people without a reason.... To take a photo there must be <strong>something special</strong> about the scene, gesture, face, environment... Something different and unique... It's different than a snapshot of a homeless man just sleeping on the bench that some people call "street photography"... <br>

If someone is drinking sparkling wine like a fish in a crowded bus, that may interest me...<br>

<a href=" To Drink Like A Fish...

If a little kid is walking with a gun that don't look like a toy, then I will shoot, with my camera... But then I need a quiet camera....</p><div>00Zlhq-426671584.jpg.4cb62e42465e93dc25daab57113644b3.jpg</div>