Hong Kong Airport Nikon D3x or D3s in 3 and 1/2 hours

tropdude

<p>Wing Shing and Tin Cheung are reliable stores. Wing Shing and Man Shing are sister stores not far from each other and actually share a web site. I know them quite well as I watched Wing Shing open their first store around 1973/1974 or so. Back then, I was a kid growing up in that area watching the Nikon F2 and lenses .... :-)</p>

<p>I know modern public transportation in Hong Kong is excellent, but rushing from the airport to Wing Shing to buy a camera and back to the airport in 3.5 hours is a bit risky.</p>

<p>I have tested both the D3X and D3S for photo.net but own neither one myself. In the last 3, 4 years, I managed to take a lot of pictures around the world without using either camera. Those are fine cameras but I can't imagine that they are such a must have.</p>

<p>P.S. In case you still want to do this, Nikon Hong Kong has a list of authorized dealers. Check the "Where to Buy" tab on their site: <a href="http://www.nikon.com.hk/en_HK">http://www.nikon.com.hk/en_HK</a><br>

Wing Shing and Man Shing are in the Mong Kok area on the Kowloon Peninsula. They and Tin Cheung are all on the list.</p>

<p>I would taxi, not transit it.<br>

Tin Cheung has a nice new store on Hanoi St. Bit further than Mongkok, but they are better to deal with IMO. Wing Shing might have slightly better prices, but I don't really like that place even though I have spent a lot of money there.</p>

<p>To complete your purchase within 3.5 hours, it will be stressful even if every condition will be perfect. The "perfect conditions" will include:</p>

<ul>

<li>No issues at immigration - i.e., the lines are not long.</li>

<li>No issues finding and riding the airport shuttle to the airport terminal and getting off at the right station. </li>

<li>No issues grabbing a taxi outside of the terminal, as the driver knows exactly what you want - note that he may not be allowed to stop in front of the store. And you may need to pay him in HK currency. Also, I think there is a surcharge if the taxi from Victoria ("HK" - where the terminal is) needs to cross the ocean to go to the Kowloon side, and vice versa. Also, there is a possibility that the driver from "HK" may not be too familiar with the streets and traffic in Kowloon. I had experienced that even when I was going to a "HK" address in "HK". The driver was bewildered by the one-way lanes and could not get to the address I wanted, even after several tries.</li>

<li>No issues finding the store, explaining what you want, the store is not busy, and they have what you want. No issue paying with your credit card.</li>

<li>No issues on getting back to the airport, stepping through the above in reverse, and going through security in time for boarding your flight.</li>

<li>Good luck!</li>

</ul>

<p>A better solution perhaps: Why not call and pay in advance and have someone deliver the cameras to the airport?</p>

<p><em>Nikon USA will honor the warranty on a Nikon product sold by a Nikon dealer anywhere in the world...just be prepared to provide a receipt (and maybe a copy of your airline ticket?) to prove the item was not imported to the USA by a dealer selling non-Nikon USA merchandise.</em></p>

<p>Jerry, could you provide a source for this information. (I know I have E-mail correspondence with Nikon USA to verify that for lenses this is true but none regarding bodies.)</p>

<p>This is correct for items with worldwide warranty (such as Nikon lenses) since Nikon USA is mentioned among the list of companies to whom to send it for warranty repair. But digital cameras have a regional warranty only. As I said national legislation may override Nikon's own promises but you may have to take it to court and I'm not at all sure that USA has legislation to protect the consumer in such cases. What you may have to do is send it to the country of purchase of Japan which could be really expensive. Do check this with Nikon USA and see what they say about it.</p>

<p>There are only two electrical shop in Airport, Fortress and Leica and most likely they will sell the goods with official list price only. <br>

I will rather suggest you go to Maritime Square located at Tsing Yi Station. It is only one stop from HK Airport Express Line which is only about 10 mins. journey from Airport. There are many reputable chain stores like Broadway, Chun Yuen, Citicall, Fortress, have branches here. I believe they can offer better discount rate than that in the Airport. All of them should accept credit cards payment, like Visa and Mastercard. You can search the web about their branch telephone, call them before you leave US and ask them for the stock availability. I am not sure the current street price of D3s and D3x but I believe D3s should cost you around HK$36K-37K. Also, you can get some cheap gift together with the purchase, like screen protector sticker, tripod, camera bag or even a CF card. <br>

You can check check the mall directory here.<br>

http://www.maritimesquare.com/eng/shoot.asp#back</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...