Are photos really more powerful than words?

<p>"But do any of them even hint at what those women went through emotionally?"</p>

<p>And there you go.</p>

<p>A visual image can only tell part of the story.</p>

<p>It is all about communication and the most precise accurate form. We started with cave drawings and them moved to...well, we all know the story. And then we had words and vocabulary.</p>

<p>Perhaps in the future we might have pure thought communication....it is all about the clarity/precision and depth of communication.</p>

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Glen- Those are not my photos, but thanks for thinking about me. I did not link to them to start a competition over who understands breast cancer better, or best. Yes, different mediums, different artists, different messages etc. I don't remember the OP asking if images and words were identical or even equivalents. But are there not scenes in your history, the images of which stay with you, but the writings about the scene escapes your memory? Sure there are, just as there are no pictures that convey the meaning(s) of the Gettysburg Address. Remember the words written about the photo of the boy in front of the tank in Tiananmen (sp) Square? Me neither. Get my point?</p>

<p>To Jim Jones, Yet you were unable to tell us that graphically. You could show us your walls, but could you guarantee that we would notice the lack of words there? I don't believe you can accurately compare the power of one with the power of the other.</p>

<p>BTW, do not confuse the single word with the single image. One is but a single element of a work of art and one is (hopefully) a complete work of art.</p>

<p>Apples and oranges question. The two overlap in power only occasionally. Both, unfortuately, use lots of clichés, which diminish their power except to gullible or undemanding audiences. But originality in either does not always demonstrate visual or grammatical power. As a doctoral student I inserted in my thesis three invented words that I developed and which I believe were necessary to properly describe the phenomenon I was attempting to discuss. The examiner, very conservative, was not impressed, but he kindly overlooked them as being secondary. Highly original photos and texts have equal high power, but the rest of the field cannot be easily compared and I believe it is as senseless to do so as comparing Oxbridge to Harvard or jazz to the music of the baroque.</p>

<p>Photographs can give you an idea of the truth but they can not always be interpreted correctly. They can be cropped altered and we see what we want to see. Have a look at this artist and it will give you some idea.<br>

<a href="http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~g.legrady/academic/courses/02w200a/algorithmic/hilliard.html">http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~g.legrady/academic/courses/02w200a/algorithmic/hilliard.html</a></p>