Sun causing purple bloom over entire image... damage?

jim_d8

<p>Hi,<br /> I was living rather dangerously a few hours ago and shot a few images on my 550D with the 4:00 sun in the background in an attempt to generate some interesting lighting. The problem is that while most of my pictures were taken at 1/1000 of a second or faster, one was accidentally taken at 1/50, and the result was that the sensor got massively overexposed. I saw the below image at home during RAW conversion and became very nervous.<br /> This purple splotching seemed to go away in the other pictures, but I'd love to hear from other people who have had this sort of thing happen to them.</p>

<p> </p><div>00ZJPt-397309684.jpg.f90ebe8f93c52f8b8281c83653c7698c.jpg</div>

<p>If it went away in other photos, then this was just an artifact from the sensor and/or lens as a result of looking into the sun for a relatively long time. You may have "ruined" this photo, but there's no "damage" if it's not carrying over to other photos.</p>

<p>I hope it's nothing serious. I did notice a white dot or two as an artifact later in that shooting session, but everything seems to have gone back to normal. I should have been a little more cautious I suppose... I was aiming for those sun-filled backgrounds (the image below was from later in the day).</p><div>00ZJTE-397379784.jpg.9a7519ed1b0cdaad330785c7bd3198d3.jpg</div>

<p>It's good to hear that the purple is regular even without extremely bright light. I was trying to replicate the effect earlier today in slightly lesser light through long exposures, but without a lot of success. The lesson, I suppose, is that if you're going to shoot the sun, use an older body (I have my old 300D still. I don't know why I didn't think to use it.)<br>

Now, to stop convincing myself that my eye is sore! It wasn't hurting until I started reading up about what could have happened in harsher sunlight, and now I've invented a new problem for myself.<br>

Thanks to all who responded, in any case!</p>

<p>You're right, Rob; I got confused by having too many tabs open and was thinking about something I had just read elsewhere a few seconds earlier about total exposure shortening sensor life (and I'm not even sure that it's correct... otherwise, wouldn't the video mode on these cameras cause massive lifespan issues?).</p>