To repair or not?

elyse_hilton

<p>My Canon DSLR, a Rebel T1i, fell completely into the water. I tried drying it out for several days and it did turn on but not happily and it would not allow more than one picture to be taken before needing to be turned off and on again. <br>

The repair store says it needs a new "main circuit" and that it must be sent to Canon for this repair. The cost of the part, labor and shipping will be $380. Is this worth doing? While I can't replace the camera for this price, they only guarantee the work for 90 days. Might there be further repercussions from the total immersion? I have been looking around the internet for advice and have joined this forum in the hopes that someone here has an opinion. Thanks.</p>

<p>We had a Rebel that started behaving like that <em>without</em> a drop into water. It would take four pic's, then require battery remove/replace before restarting the cycle. Similarly, Canon's offer to repair would have cost very close to the cost of a new replacement. Maybe $100 less than cost of replacement with same?</p>

<p>Waived the repair and replaced it with the latest.</p>

<p>Who is the repair store? Did you ask Canon for an estimate?</p>

<p>Having just dropped a very expensive lens into a lake, I just went through this. The lens still worked, but even so, Canon totaled it (the cost of repair would be more than the value of the lens). They gave me two reasons. First, they said that all of the circuit boards would have to be replaced because the connections between the pins and the bodies of the chips are not waterproof, so they could fail at anytime. Sounds like yours already has. Second, they said that to avoid fungal growth inside the lens, they would have to take it apart, clean all elements and all housings, and realign everything. On the lens I had, that was a lot of money. So, I ended up with a very expensive paperweight.</p>

<p>So, I would want Canon's appraisal. If they say it is reparable but that they can't guarantee how long it will last, you have to decide whether the gamble is worth it to you.</p>

<p>did it fall into fresh or salt water?</p>

<p>If it fell into fresh water, most likely you did as much damage to it as the water by turning it on to soon... OTOH, the damage that can be done most likely already has been done (unless you count the mold that may grow later on) and as a result, a repair that produces a perfectly functional unit (reliable for 90days at least of normal use), especially as they will completely disassemble it and clean & dry it out, will more than likely be fine in the long term. </p>

<p>If you dropped it into salt or brackish water, I'd not recommend trying to repair it. The residue (truly impossible to completely and reliably remove) will stay behind, and most likely cause further problems down the road -- in the form of internal corrosion and degradation to other components.</p>

<p>Unless you just bought it the day before, your camera was a "used" camera.<br /> Look on eBay for that model or a newer one for "completed" auctions (asking prices are of no use whatsoever) to see what the camera is going for now. Or just see if a used or even refurbished one is available from KEH, B&H, or Adorama (or others). You might pay a few bucks more for one from the stores, but they will warranty the camera for at least a little while, as a rule. Recent eBay prices paid on a T1i <em>with a kit lens</em> run from US$350 to $600, with many selling around $450.<br /> Water damage is really problematic as Scott says, so it would probably be best to get another camera.</p>

<p>If you purchased the camera new with a credit card, check with the credit card company documentation. Some credit cards will both extend the warranty for another year, and cover accidental damage. Might as well check your homeowner's insurance policy too.</p>

<p>If all of those avenues fail to be fruitful, I'd get another camera over a repair from water damage.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Thank you all so much for the responses. Dan M -- The repair shop was Chrysler Camera Repair, recommended by a B&H salesperson. I didn't realize I could/should deal with Canon as it's out of the warranty period. Marcus Ian -- It was in Iceland, one of the hot springs, mineral water I guess. That said, I'm getting the strong message that it's not worth fixing. Thanks again.</p>

<p>I would open up battery & card doors & set it aside for a month. Surprising how often electronics "repair themselves" if allowed to dry thoroughly. Keep the battery out though. No sense in adding electricity to the dampness. No technician that knows what they are doing will warranty any work done on a water damaged camera, so you really have nothing to loose at this point.</p>

<p>Still you're like'y to have water marks on the digital sensor, viewfinder and AF sensor. All that is reparable if you're real handy with small tools. But who knows what issues may crop up from fungus, etc. But I'd still allow it to dry before you toss it. Who knows, you might get lucky.</p>

<p>@ <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1841065">JDM von Weinberg</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Or just see if a used or even refurbished one is available from KEH, B&H, or Adorama.....they will warranty the camera for at least a little while...</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Indeed we do; all Canon refurbs from Adorama Camera come with a 12-month warranty, which includes a 30-day returns period, and all used units rated D, E or V come with a 6-month warranty.<br>

You are welcome to email me at any time for advice or after-sales support: Helen@adorama.com<br>

<br /> <strong>Helen Oster<br /> Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</strong></p>