D70: A classic?

errol young

<p>For what it's worth, I think of the D70 as desirable. Mostly because it has the 1/500 flash sync of the D40 but AF lens compatibility and, allegedly, a lot of IR sensitivity for shooting behind an R72. If I get a crop body to go with my D700, it's high on the list. Can't say I've actually been bothered to get one yet, though, so it's only mythologically classic to me so far.</p>

<p>Yes I believe the D70 is a classic, with the caveat that we are discussing what is essentially disposable electronic technology. It was the first DSLR that had the features buyers wanted, with Nikon reliability and at an affordable price.</p>

<p>Looked at now, it has become a good dslr to learn with. While capable of great images, care should be taken to capture the image you want, without having to resort to post processing. The limiting factor is 6.1 mp. There just isn't enough to allow for serious cropping of the image while still retaining image detail. As a photographer you are forced to think about composition, exposure etc before your press the shutter. With later bodies, it becomes too easy to let the camera take over exposure decisions and then use post processing to get the composition just right. Skills learned on the D70 will be rewarded with a later body, but those who dive right in with say a D90 may not have the benefit of having learned how to shoot within the limitations of a DX sensor DSLR.</p>

<p>At current prices, it is possible to purchase a D70 and lens for less than the cost of a mid level p&s. The D70 will prove to be more durable and in the right hands, capable of better results.</p>

<p>In a few years, we may even think of the D70 as the digital equivalent of the Spotmatic.</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Ross</p>

<p>....and yes I started with a D70, but have upgraded.</p>

<p>A lot of posters here understand the revolutionary underpinnings of the D70 and Canon Rebel. The word "classic" may not be totally accurate but both those cameras, introduced by Nikon and Canon at about the same time, did a great service to photo nuts like me by making the transition to digital a relatively painless process. The D70's controls, size, feel and look were similar to my nikon film cameras and I could easily tune the menu to get some nice images right out of the box. Comments like "The D70 belongs in a recycling station. That's where it will make the least damage." show a lack of knowledge that is quite silly in my opinion. Viva la D70 and Canon Rebel!</p>

<p>I'd agree that the D70 is a "Classic" and one one of the better build Nikon DSLRs. We bought quite a few of them at the college where I teach. Most are still working and you know how badly students treat loaner cameras! The later D80s we bought have almost all died. How well the D90s hold up remain to be seen.<br>

The Flash Synch speed on the D70 is still impressive. It can indeed be quickly modified for Infrared! And its control layout is fairly intuitive. Perfect for a College photo student on a budget. I would argue that the Canon Rebel was a step down from the D70. The Canon EOS 20D would be the classic contemporary equivalent of the D70.</p>

The D70 was the first digital camera that I could simultaneously afford and take seriously. After a disastrous

experience with a CoolPix model that cost WAY more than it was worth, I went back to all film for a couple of years. The D70 changed that. It was fun,

versatile, and the IQ was respectable. Great little camera! I took it everywhere. I can see why your friend wants one, but point him to the more modern

D7000. That should knock his socks off.

The D3 is perhaps the most classic of all classic DSLRs. That camera changed the world of photography overnight.

<p>The D70 was my first digital camera after having shot film since the 1960's. It convinced me that digital was here to stay! I even shot a lot at 1600 iso and still I am amazed at the low noise and high quality prints I made with a 6 mp camera. I eventually gave it to my niece for school and I upgraded. I have many really nice prints around the house that I made with that camera. </p>

<p>I wouldn't say it is a classic. </p>

<p>Still don't know why people call it at the time, the cheapest dSLR having a dismal viewfinder. I mean just look at the consumer AF film cameras. If they wanted a pro body, why don't they get one. </p>

<p>But the D70 is still my main camera, the only with a L bracket. The other I have is a D2h without the L bracket and is seldom used. I might fire off 8 fps and stitch into one for a bit of fun. Since I shoot off a tripod the D70 does everything for me and in low light paired with a fast prime.</p>

<p>Maybe the D70 is no classic as of today, but it may well become one in the future, simply because most people see it as disposable electronic junk today. Remember the first IBM PC? You will not want to use one for serious work today, but to own one that still runs on its floppy disk... I just checked the different auction sites: no mint or "like new" D70 or D70s around. If you have small money to invest, maybe you should try and find a mint one in its original box. Not for now, but for times to come.</p>

<p>I'd say it's a classic. It was my first DSLR and my second digital camera. Until I got mine, I kept using film and a Canon S40 alongside it. For me, it showed me what was possible with digital and unlike a lot of the lower-end Nikons now, it had an AF motor, meaning I didn't need to get any new lenses for it. It was the first affordable Nikon DSLR, had all the necessary controls and was way faster than any compact in a similar price range at the time. It showed me that DSLRs were not just for the elite, but for anyone else, too (and in fact they are now almost ubiquitous).</p>

<p>The tiny viewfinder and LCD mean you really have to work to use it properly. Once I downloaded a tone curve recommended by users and upgraded the AF with firmware, I was getting some of my best images. Yet, as an F90 user perviously, I missed the 'pro' body and controls and upgraded to the D300 the month it came out, despite the cost. This opened up a lot more benefits of digital than the D70 ever had- increased resolution for cropping or prints, better dynamic range and high ISO, not to mention the fabulous LCD to see results. Another thing is the progress in memory cards- back then, 2GB was expensive whereas now 32GB is cheap, which makes a large impact on shooting styles. I'm not so sure I'm getting better photos, though, even if they are more accurate, as the improved technology has made me a lot lazier.</p>

<p>So, yes, the D70 is a classic, but newer models are definite improvements, especially if someone is happy to just use the AF-S lenses, the selection of which has improved in leaps and bounds in the intervening years, on something like a D3100.</p>