Time travel with Soviet gear

<p>People often bemusedly ask me why I bother with shooting film in "obsolete" cameras. Perhaps the best answer is that for me it's a form of time travel. When using a classic manual camera one is transported from this auto-focus/auto-exposure/18 mega pixel universe to a time when the photographer had to slow down and actually know something about capturing light. Frankly, it's fun to travel back and appreciate what an innovation TTL metering truly was when it was first introduced by Topcon in 1963 (years before Nikon and Canon). Or appreciate how useful an instant return mirror is to the photographic process when one doesn't have it in an Exakta VXii. Until recently, my focus has been Japanese SLRs from the Golden Age of Manual Cameras (with a few German specimens thrown in for good measure). But recently I became the proud owner of 4 Soviet cameras: the FED 2, the Zorki 4, the Zenit C and the Zenit 3M.</p><div>00ZAcl-388413584.jpg.d9732b3cf9cb11e002ad5d1651d09720.jpg</div>

<p>First, a review of some well known but interesting history. FED was started by the same individual who started the NKVD (the forerunner to the dreaded KGB). In the late 30's, he created a commune for orphans and troubled youth and started a camera factory in Ukraine. The early design were clones of Leica IIIs, but over time, these RFs grew into their own identities. In1941, as the Germans advanced into the USSR and overran Ukraine, the factory was dismantled and reassembled in Russia. After the war, the operations were re-started in the Ukraine but the factory in Russia kept on producing the Leica clones under the name Zorki. Early FEDs and Zorkis are identical but these also evolved into distinct designs. Interestingly, one of the first SLRs ever manufactured in 1953 was the Zenit C -- basically a Zorki C rangefinder with a prism grafted onto the top. Very compact and elegant camera about a third smaller than the Nikon F from 1959. But more on the Zenit C in another post... </p><div>00ZAd1-388423584.jpg.8013fdee323611fa839466af5af78d53.jpg</div>

<p>These Soviet RFs are surprisingly well-made. I've heard many disparage them as cheap imitations of Leicas but the build quality is similar to a T34 tank and the Industar and Jupiter lenses are excellent. The cameras are quiet and very compact -- esp. with the 50mm collapsible lens. But to be honest, squinting into a RF and makes me appreciate the significance of the SLR's VF where one can compose and see depth of field in a way that's impossible with the RF. Also, turning knobs is far inferior to advance levers and proper rewind cranks. No wonder the SLR became the de facto standard. </p><div>00ZAdP-388433584.jpg.089de4f29bd03e9e8d9aaf3cf057efda.jpg</div>

<p>And did I mention the awkward gyrations one has to go through to load film into one of these beasts? Sheesh, how did photographers load film on the fly? In any event, I was pleased with the image quality from the lenses and have grown to be fond of the quirkiness of these cameras. </p><div>00ZAdT-388437584.jpg.b3da20ccf72a5e03d32de51e126ca114.jpg</div>

<p>Congratulations <strong>CQ</strong>! They are addictive, aren't they? That is a bunch of very good cameras. They will help produce pictures as good as any, if not better than most others. People complain about Fed and Zorki, saying that they are stiff and rough. They are neither way, actually. Often, the FSU sellers keep the shutter tension very high, as an easy way of ensuring that it clicks as soon as someone buys.<br>

Secondly, the rules of lubrication that the repair manuals lay down for German and Japanese cameras do not satisfy the FSU cameras. The FSU ones need to be greased even in their gear teeth. A CLA appropriate to the FSUs makes them work as smooth and silent as any of those from other manufactures.<br>

You may want to add a Zorki C or 2C and a 4. The Fed 3 with the lever wind has slow speeds and is well finished. Otherwise the Feds are all the same, except for the later bulkier models [4 & 5] and the addition of a meter. Best, sp.</p>

<p>As your images show, these are very capable shooters in the right hands.</p>

<p>They are not the easiest cameras to shoot, but that enforces a kind of deliberateness that is often highly beneficial.</p>

<p>Warning - these things are <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdVTVR-j0Q">fairly addictive</a> and as yet there isn't very much in the way of rehabilitation therapy. Mostly addicts just keep on buying more of them and their peripherals. ;)</p>

<p>Privet, Tovarish <strong>Q</strong>,</p>

<p>Shouldn't you change your forum name from 'Capitalist Q' to ' Soviet Q' now? ;-)</p>

<p>I like proper none-leica-fied FEDs and Zorkis. The conversion step always seems to have ruined the ones I've owned (not just externally, but operationally as well).<br>

I do have a couple that work though, and when they do they do it well. Looking to add a NKVD-Fed to my collection in the next couple of weeks.</p>

<p>To answer your question on loading on the fly; I think they had pre-cut film at the time :)</p>

<p>Anyway, great shots. Spasiba!</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Rick</p>

<p>I really like the pictures. The cameras are seemingly presented more in that oldworldy way than the shining sharp pictures we normally get from classic cameras to highlight their image capturing ability. I like this. There is nothing wrong with grain and lack of pinsharp images. I hope to see more of your pictures.</p>

<p><strong>CQ</strong>,<br>

one correction after evacuation from Ukraine FED factory was reassembled in city called Berdsk - which is located in Sibera. They kept producing FEDs in small numbers during all WWII. Those FEDs differ from pre-war only by serial numbers are called *FED-Berdsk* and are prized possession for collectors. Krasnogorsk Factory was built after WWII and start producing FED-Zorki in 1948 which are also very rare and seeking for...</p>

<p>thank you for the kind words, gents. clearly i have stumbled upon a dedicated fanbase for FSU gear.</p>

<p>SP - it was your posts that inspired me to explore communist gear. first the east german SLRs and now soviet heavy machinery. the very fact that you know "the rules of lubrication" is inspiring. i have so much to learn.</p>

<p>JDM & Rick: addictive is so right. as awkward as they are to use, these cameras are lately amongst the most fondled in my collection.... </p>

<p>RvanN: spaciba, comrade. i dunno -- i know communism was apparently buried in the ash-heap of history, but lately the red chinese seem to be doing a better job at managing growth and setting effective economic policy. but this isn't the place to discuss politics. i will say, however, that i admire the russians for their impressive resistance during WW2. and it was the best thing to happen to the chinese when mao defeated the japanese and threw out the american puppets. oops, sorry about that. </p>

<p>LM and Starvy - i agree. great looking gear that photographs well. as a special bonus gift, my russian seller threw in m39 extension tubes. i used them on the Zenit C and was very impressed by the results. will post them soon.</p>

<p>Alan - how did they do it? which german designer thought up the bottom loader? he should be fired. film loading on these things is such a pain that it makes loading an old Exakta seem trivial. </p>

<p>Kozma - nice one. i stand corrected.</p>

<p>Cap, it's good to see you're making excellent use of this really interesting historical gear. Hope you are having a great summer. I've been banging away with my 1969 Petri FT and some chromogenic B&W. Since this was my first real camera, I too feel like a time traveler.</p>

<p>Of the Leica copies, my favorite is the FED2--although some of the later ones are good shooters they looked less and less like a Leica as time went by.</p>

<p>But my heart belongs to Kiev (Contax). Both my copies are swell shooters, although the one "re-badged" as a black Contax II is less "gritty" than the one still wearings its own clothes.</p>

<p>Photographers of the World, Unite!<br>

You have nothing to lose but your AF!</p>

<p>Great article and wonderful replies. My buddy Larry insists i "try" on of his Barnacks.i use Leica-M lots.<br>

i am scared of doing that try! Like doing a line..One thing keeps me clean! On a shoot on a wild wet, snowy,freezing winter day here in Toronto, it took the esteemed Meister, almost 40mins to load his box..<br>

i have way less patience. It would have had a flying lesson.</p>

<p>steve: i haven't had any experience with Petris. look forward to your results. planning on taking out the RE Super soon with the glass you gave me....</p>

<p>rick & JDM: the FED 2 is probably one of the better choices. film loading is more convenient as the back removes completely but not as compact as the FED 1/Zorki 1. i will say the zorki 4 has the best (least squinty) viewfinder. don't have any experiences with the Kievs (yet). frankly, i'm scared to go down the acquisition path of another camera/lens system... </p>

<p>jason: i hear you about your frustrations. i screwed up a couple of rolls learning how to load properly, but as JDM has said elsewhere, slowing down is part of the time travel process. </p>