Wanting to upgrade my lens for better picture quality, please hear out my choices and help me make the right decision!!!

First off I have the rebel t1i, I currently have the kit lens, the 50mm f1.8 II prime lens,and the 55-250nm f3.5-5.6 IS lens. I do portraits

and weddings. I am debating between the ef-s lens 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS lens or the L series 70-200mm USM f4.0 lens. They are both

around the same price. I like the zoom range and the IS on the ef-s lens but the 70-200mm lens is an L series lens which is suppose to be

the best! I want to make the right decision since $800 is definatly not pocket change!! Also if you think it would be better to update my

camera to the canon 60D first let me know:) like I said I am looking for better picture quality and I hear thats in the lens! I greatly

appreciate any answers!!!

Ashley :)

<p>I wouldn't expect the image quality of the 18-200 to be much (if at all) better than the 18-55 + 55-250. You're mostly paying for the convenience. The 70-200/4 is an excellent lens though obviously the IS version is a bit pricier. For that money you might want to consider a Tamron 70-200/2.8 though it's a good deal heavier than the other lenses mentioned. It's not stabilized either but offers a full stop of extra speed, and it would also be a decent optical improvement over your 55-250.</p>

<p>In my opinion you would benefit m re from a EFs 10-22 than from either of the lenses you are considering. You are currently lacking a true wide angle lens, and a EFs 10-22 would fill that gap, allowing you to take images with a completely different perspective than what your current gear offers. Of course if wide angle photography is not your thing, then that would be of no use, but personally I think I'd find it invaluable for weddings.</p>

<p>That all said, this question would have been better asked in the Canon EOS forum than under 'off topic'.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I may just re-post</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nooooooooooo....!<br /> You get just one post per topic in a reasonably short period of time. Multiple posting is something you agreed not to do when you signed up on this site -- which is archived, not a 'chat" or IM. Photo.net is a wonderful resource, but you need to use it intelligently and according to the rules to get the most out of it. Welcome to P.net ;)</p>

<p>The others are right so far as they go. The quality of pictures is not primarily determined by equipment. The cameras and lenses used by people of great photographic fame in the past were often taken on equipment immeasurably worse than your present set up.</p>

<p>First, master the camera and equipment you now have, then you will be in a position to make intelligent decisions about what to buy next.</p>

<p>Lots of rich people buy the latest and most expensive cameras and lenses made, many of them take really crappy pictures with that equipment. The good thing about this, is that they always have the latest thing, so often their hardly used expensive stuff comes on the market where those of less wealth can find them easier to afford. :)</p>

<p>Don't buy anything just <strong><em>yet</em></strong>. Nothing you are thinking of purchasing will provide you with "better" images. What you need is to discover the <strong><em>cause </em></strong>of your present dissatisfaction. It is more likely to be <em><strong>you </strong></em>than the gear you use, but you can only find out by shooting test images under as controlled conditions as you can, then examining large enlargements, to see the real problem. Post images here too....you will get helpful replies....Best regards, Robert</p>

<p>[[Thanks everyone :) yes I have an external flash the 420ex but I never seem satisfied with results I always prefer the shot without the flash if possible]]</p>

<p>You should learn to use your flash, as it will likely aid you immensely with your photography.</p>

<p>If you care to upload some examples of where you are finding your photos lacking, many can offer more fine-tuned advice.</p>

Thanks I will try that before I make the big decision :) I mainly notice that the futher I zoom out with the 55-250 mm the

more unfocused the picture even when I use a high shutter speed and higher iso. I usually always shoot in M but because

of the problem I have been setting my M settings according what my AV mode has said and adjusting from there in case it

is me but it doesn't seem to matter the shot is usually always unfocused a bit and also dark, often I notice the unfocused

problem when im not zoomed out even with a tri pod!! and yes auto focus is on.I really dislike how the lens works in low

light period.

About the flash I agree I should learn how to use it more but the 420ex has no manual settings it shoots at the same

power setting always which is to hash for everything, and I hate what it does to skin tones :S<div>00Z8al-386181584.jpeg.d0ca5753cc6e24027182621415e70a5d.jpeg</div>

<p>[[About the flash I agree I should learn how to use it more but the 420ex has no manual settings it shoots at the same power setting always which is to hash for everything, and I hate what it does to skin tones :S]]</p>

<p>This is an opportunity to learn both how to better use your flash and how the Canon flash system works. </p>

<p>You can control the flash with the Flash Exposure Compensation option in your camera's menu system. It's not as fancy as controlling it on-board but it does offer the opportunity to reduce or increase the flash output. </p>

<p>Both of the sample shots are low-contrast and could benefit from sharpening in post. By nature, low-contrast shots will have the appearance of not being as sharp. I agree with Robert that without EXIF data, it's difficult to provide any more information than that. </p>

<p>Attached is a very quick and unrefined contrast adjustment and sharpening of the second photo (in addition to it being cropped simply for emphasis on the changes) for comparison. </p><div>00Z8kA-386359584.jpg.80b04336e7929769e34b304e5196b30f.jpg</div>

<p>here is the data for the first picture, sorry!<br>

dimensions 2874x4397<br>

f/stop- 7.1<br>

exposure time: 1/100sec<br>

ISO- 400<br>

focal length- 84mm<br>

metreing mode: pattern<br>

no flash<br>

shooting mode mannual<br>

white balance auto</p>

<p>This is an opportunity to learn both how to better use your flash and how the Canon flash system works.<br>

You can control the flash with the Flash Exposure Compensation option in your camera's menu system. It's not as fancy as controlling it on-board but it does offer the opportunity to reduce or increase the flash output.<br>

Thanks! I really dont know why I never thought of that before :S I am going to start practicing right away :) Also the photo looks so much better with just the simple changes you have made!</p>