Have you ever been called a SICKO doing street photography?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Daryl - Strictly speaking, Tom merely said that we should "consider" that you might be trolling, and that he "guessed" you were. It's not a crime to start a thread with the aim of inciting contention - many interesting threads have been started on this and other fora by people with malicious intent which has been subverted by the participants - but it's useful to know when there's reason to believe this was the original poster's intent. In other words, it's not for the admins to try to block such a posting; I might have been slightly more tactful in bringing information to the attention of other participants so as not to offend someone without evidence, but I think Tom had good intentions. You've defended yourself by showing how the original impression was false - as you may have done to the lady who took offence at you when you were shooting. To me, no harm, no foul - and I don't want you to come away from this feeling attacked, especially if it happens the next time you post as well. A lot of people on here post after having a bad day, or after reading the posts of lots of people who've had bad days, so in my experience a thick skin and the benefit of the doubt is invaluable. But now I'm extending the thread off-topic.<br />

<br />

There was a bird on a shopping cart?</p>

<p>Wow! The SICKO discussion has exceeded one-hundred posts! :-O</p>

<p>I thought of one more tidbit to add. It's been mentioned here already implicitly, but I'd like to clarify it.</p>

<p>Most non-photographers don't know what "Street Photography" is or even that it exists. They don't know who Henri Cartier-Bresson was. Unless they've very urbane, they probably have no idea why someone would walk up to them and take their picture while they're walking down the street and minding their own business.</p>

<p>We need to be sensitive to this. If someone looks surprised or asks why you took their photo, don't blurt out some claim of "rights." They'll have no idea what you're talking about and will most likely become even more annoyed with your combative tone.</p>

<p>It might be better to smile, look enthused, and tell them that they looked really interesting while doing Activity X so you snapped their photo. Show them the photo (if you have a digital camera), say that you think it's a "really great photo," but you'll be happy to delete it if they don't like it. Tell them that you can send them a copy if they'd like.</p>

<p>Make the interaction a win for them as well as for you. Compliment them. Offer the image. Offer to graciously delete if if they have trouble with the whole idea. Be patient, polite, and most importantly, RESPECT THEM.</p>

<p>In other words, do the things that a "SICKO" wouldn't do.</p>

<p>Wow! Lots of action in this thread! Let me re-quote an excerpt from Michael's post . . .</p>

<blockquote>

<p>. . . If you want them to think you are a photographer, look and move like a photographer. Body language says more than your mouth ever could. Try to wear professional clothes. Be clean and well groomed. When you move, move like you own the place. Walk with a purpose. Even if you don't, always make it look like you know exactly what you are doing . . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I couldn't have said it better, and it reiterates the spirit of my initial post here. "Look the part," and you'll often be "mistaken" for a photojounralist working for a big daily! Although there's been some heated discussion here, it's not only been entertaining, it's been highly informative. Thanks for everyone's contributions!</p>

<p>After just a few brief attempts at street photography, personally, I've resigned myself to the "ask permission" type of street portraits. Yes, this approach results in different images than purely documentary-style street photography, but for me, it's easier, "nicer," and much more pleasant. Plus, you make a lot of new friends!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Most non-photographers don't know what "Street Photography" is or even that it exists.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And some of us who are photographer don't quite 'get it'. I personally don't see the point of photographing people you don't know in the street but I also respect any street photographers who can't see the point in me photographing dead trees or rocks in a stream!</p>

<p>Ok, photographers of the world. We have identified the issue. We have submitted things that we all do <em>currently</em> to remedy the "being called a sicko" situation, ranging from simply ignoring the person to sarcastic replies. Occasionally we have veered off topic, but there is some really good stuff in here. <br>

Now, what can we do to prevent this problem from happening in the future. Let's take this in a positive direction and start brainstorming on some new ideas. Seriously consider some options. Suggest something, shoot it down. Time to change the way we do business.<br>

Perhaps you could post signs on the street. "Street Photography in progress" or something along the lines. Yes it does give away the element of surprise, but anything with a sign is official. <br>

I also suggest working in 2-4 man teams, if you have the option. Again, more people makes it look more official. Perhaps you could train a few friends. Even if you are the only one shooting for quality images, just having them there changes the atmosphere.<br>

Finally, The technology exists today, to allow you to set up a temporary office wherever you go. If you had a limitless supply of funding, there are wireless transmitters from camera to computer. Even the old Canon IP100 printer has a battery back, and can be used to print in the field. Combine this field office, with a team, and you can give people photos on the spot, or at least display your work to create a professional environment. <br>

Ok, that's all I have for now, what do you got? </p>

<p>I'm not sure about putting a sign up, but I guess if people thought it was a good idea and carrying a camera around wasn't obvious enough, I'd be on for a jacket with some kind of notification on it (or a t-shirt, more likely). Make it fluorescent and I guess you at least look part of something.<br />

<br />

I'm not sure about the convenience of making prints in the field (they'd be pre-editing anyway). It wouldn't be impossible to burn an image onto a CD from a laptop, though, and the more tech-savvy subjects might actually prefer an electronic copy without having to give you their email address. If they're <i>not</i> tech-savvy, it may not go down so well, but you can always offer to post a print.<br />

<br />

This might solve the problem of spending a subject's time taking a photo that just doesn't work, and which you don't want to spend forever editing and printing just in case you see them again. Of course, if you make multiple images of one person (who's posing) that's less likely to be a problem - I'd hope to get <i>one</i> keeper.<br />

<br />

Good idea/bad idea?</p>

<p>You dont need to change anything on 'the outside'.</p>

<p>Simply change your attitude, and your experience (as a photographer) and the public's experience (as your subjects) will be much much better.</p>

<p>And if you really MUST put up a sign - make it your thumb, and accompany it with an enormous disarming smile.</p>

Here's something that could be fun. Shoot tethered to a laptop on a stand. Call the subject over, do a quick 60 to 120

second RAW workflow, show them the Before and After versions, and ask them if they'd like a copy. Email them a

small JPEG with information on where they can buy a larger version. If a crowd gathers, so much the better. Ask for

volunteer subjects and start the process all over again.

<p>Dan... do you live in Monaco? I think having a laptop on a stand in the streets near me would be a recipe for not owning a laptop.<br />

<br />

I'd possibly be a bit concerned that people just thought I was making passport photos, and it sounds a bit restrictive in terms of going hunting for subjects. Maybe it would be good for me to have to photograph anyone who wanted to be photographed, though (you can't really say "no, you have a dull face that fails to inspire my inner muse, go away"). I'm not sure I'd traditionally have thought of it as street photography, but that doesn't make it a bad idea - but I'd have to make sure I got good first!</p>

<p>Andrew, it's just an off-the-wall idea. It might be fun to try sometime, safety concerns notwithstanding. It's almost a performance art approach where the photographer interacts with the "audience", and the "audience" can become his subject and vice versa.</p>

<p>I rarely do street phtography, but on occasion I have been confronted, I respond as the ignorant foreign tourist, I stammer in broken English-German, "<em>Hello, gutten Tag, no Englisch me gesprachen; sprechen Sie Deutsch, ja?</em>" That generally ends the "confrontation."</p>

<p>My 30-something niece does a lot of street photography. She is heavily tattooed -- arms, legs, chest, neck, hands, feet -- with a great deal of piercings, her hair in dreadlocks. Oddly -- for some reason -- no one has ever confronted her, I think because they see <em>her</em> as a curiosity, at least in the warm weather when everything is on display. In the winter, virtually nothing is visible. I have to ask her what the reactions are when she's fully covered up.</p>

<p>Dan,<br>

<em>It might be better to smile, look enthused, and tell them that they looked really interesting while doing Activity X so you snapped their photo. Show them the photo (if you have a digital camera), say that you think it's a "really great photo," but you'll be happy to delete it if they don't like it. Tell them that you can send them a copy if they'd like.</em><br>

<em> Make the interaction a win for them as well as for you</em><br>

I think you put it into very good words!<br>

I think, at least for me, it makes the street photography, to be in contact with this people, to be open to them, respect them, as Brad said:<br>

<em>In the end you get the respect that you give...</em><br>

and also Daniels, strong, points are of value.<br>

Ciao Axel</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My 30-something niece does a lot of street photography. She is heavily tattooed -- arms, legs, chest, neck, hands, feet -- with a great deal of piercings, her hair in dreadlocks. Oddly -- for some reason -- no one has ever confronted her</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's not that odd that no one has ever confronted her. I think there are people who take photographs on the street and then there are street photographers. Most of you fall into the former category and that's why you have so much angst about it and get called Sicko. It's just not your genre if you worry so much about how people will react, or if you ask permission. That's posing for a portrait, not street photography. Go photograph flowers and birds and buildings and other things that don't talk back.</p>

<p>I never worry about what someone will say about my street photography. I just do it, with a smile and with confidence of my right to do it, not confrontationally. I never have a problem, just like the tattooed niece spoken of above. If they are in public, they are fair game. And I get what Martin was doing...taking the second shot. I would have taken a 3rd or 4th shot too, as would any journalist. Good street photography is not the sole domain of the journalist with credentials. It belongs to anyone who wants to do it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Christine: It's just not your genre if you worry so much about how people will react, or if you ask permission. <strong>That's posing for a portrait</strong>, not street photography. Go photograph flowers and birds and buildings and other things that don't talk back.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well said... I could not agree more!</p>

<p>A journalist might have a good reason for taking a picture of a "druggie" having a public meltdown. It might be part of a news story, part of a series, etc. A street photographer's reason and output would be different. Sometimes, it just come off as opportunistic gawking, whether by the journalist, the street photographer, or the pop snapper.</p>

<p>It's often the quality of the photo that makes all the difference in the world. Unremarkable photos of unsuspecting people having meltdowns on the street often come off as pathos-laden, opportunistic, or exploitive. Good photos, on the other hand, seem to carry their own more significant reasons for being.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!