Nikon FM meter problem

<p>Hi All, I come begging for wisdom - not sure if to post this in CMC or the Nikon forums, but scanning the former I didn't get a very optimistic feeling seeing the dominant subject matter, I thought I'd try it here.</p>

<p>I "came into" a Nikon FM, a camera I always admired - and it seems to be in great shape, other than the meter. The "-" or underexposed diode stays on constantly whenever the meter is turned on. It does not move. Close the advance lever and the meter turns off, click, and the "-" comes on, but I can not affect it to move.</p>

<p>I have tried:<br>

a) removing and replacing existing batteries<br>

b) putting in new batteries<br>

c) various lenses<br>

d)all shutter speed, ASA, aperture combinations...</p>

<p>I am at a loss, but I have this weird feeling that this meter is not dead, it just needs to be somehow nudged. I know the camera was used with a MD-12 motor drive (which I don't have) and remember that there was some mention of it affecting the meter somehow, but can't recall... something about having to short out the contacts on the bottom? I don't want to screw around with it in case I break something until I ask some people who generally know better.</p>

<p>Any help, advice? Thanks in advance,</p>

<p>Peter</p>

<p>Hi Pete,<br>

I have an FM /MD 12 motordrive also. I think you covered all the bases already. I don't think the motor drive is going to help you or affect the meter one way or the other. AFAIK with the motor drive attached, the meter simply draws power from the drive instead of the onboard batteries. I am guessing that the meter has other issues. Obviously keep in mind the age of this camera.... The cool part of owning an FM is that the shutter is not battery or metering dependent. Just another thought, I purchased my FM from the As Is section of KEH for less than 25 bucks with a working meter. I did have to put light seals in it.<br>

Sorry not much help, good luck! Mark</p>

<p>Thanks guys, I just remember vaguely reading that sometimes after the drive is removed, the meter gets "confused" and there is a way to reset it or something... Something to do with the contacts (the four pins)... I just can't find the post and don't recall what it is exactly or if its even the same issue. I was hoping maybe someone would remember - as far as I know the MD's don't even power the meter - but they do communicate with the camera to allow the wind lever to stay flush and the meter to come on from the MD shutter release. Something that apparently can cause the meter to remain somehow "confused" once the thing is removed. Its a snowflakes chance, but I thought I'd ask. I am not overly concerned with the cost of the camera ($20), I just would like to get it working. God knows I don't need another camera... but He was looking the other way when I said "well... for $20 why not..."</p>

<p>Rick - I think I created a login there years ago... thanks for the reminder, I'll try a search there too.</p>

<p>Sorry to say that after checking out the schematic diagram of the FM I think the meter is dead unless you left the lens cap on (which i dont think so). It seems that the metering circuit doesn't get signal from the photosensor. Could be a loose or broken wire. The meter power up so it doesn't have to do with the motor drive. The motor drive messed up can prevent the meter from powering up. But in this case it does power up.</p>

<p>I am tempted to see if there is any obvious "mechanical" damage (ie loose wires broken off, etc.,) but I am a little bit afraid of taking the camera apart lest it ends up being a total door stop, and now it might be a nice companion for night photos where the long exposures eat batteries and the meter is really no help anyway... It is a really nice piece of machinery - one of the smoothest operating SLR's I have ever played with, the film advance and shutter release certainly lives up to the billing of being incredibly "buttery":)</p>