Of Self Timer Envy, Black Camera Cool and cheap-o lenses

<p>Hi All,<br /> A while ago I saw a post on this very forum (I know...shocking!) of a very nice family of Spotmatics living in perfetct harmony under the roof of one of our fellow CMC'ers.<br /> Having only a couple of SP's, a 500 and a 1000 I grew to like these cameras a lot, but really wanted a "proper" Spotmatic... you know... one that said "SOTMATIC" on it, and ideally, I wanted a black one. As is a commonly known scientific fact, black cameras are more professional and take better pictures because they are just so damn cool;)<br /> Seriously, I have no better reason for wanting one... deep down, I have to be honest... I just wanted one. And I think the black ones are hella cool... I know - I am a small, easily amused person - but hey, c'est la vie!:)</p>

<p>I recently spotted (get it: SPOTTED? ya I know, I kill myself!) a black Spotmatic on eBay, and on a lark, bid on it. A few hours later my snipe came through and for $20 +shipping I had a beautiful black Spotmatic. Upon arrival, I inspected it and concluded it was a very accurately described item, with beautiful, authentic "weathering" - yes, I actually like the brassing. Wish I got it that way myself, but at least it came by its badges of honour honestly. The meter fired up and checked out against all my other cameras - I was a happy camper.</p>

<p>A short while ago, Rick Drawbridge posted some pictures with an Albinar 135mm which I noticed looked very,very much like an M42 Soligor of the same focal length that I picked up for $5 a while ago and never got around to using it. Rick's post got me curious and reminded me of the old lens, so I dug it out and cleaned it up.</p>

<p>I decided to take both new addition and forgotten step-child of a lens for a test drive:)</p>

<p>Two conclusion were immediate: 1) Rick is a great photographer and the lens doesn't matter, 2) The lens works wonderfully, especially on a per dollar basis. And 3) oh yeah, there is three actually - the black Spottie was a pleasure to use and sounded mechanically perfect, solid and well built.</p>

<p>I put a roll of drug store brand 400asa print film (thinking rebranded Fuji something or other), and found no light leaks or any other mechanical shortcomings.</p>

<p>First, for a family photo:</p>

<p>As usual, the photos are representative of my facility to scan them, etc. (the above images are from a cell phone - it is what it is:))<br>

First, the obligatory shot of my shed door, min. focusing distance, wide open.</p><div>00YqDi-366269684.jpg.9adcf0e0f0c558e677bbfa1a25be8c48.jpg</div>

<p>Peter, you wrote <em>"SOTMATIC"<strong> .... </strong></em>is this related to the fabled <em>"Schnapps-O-Flex"</em> ? :oP<br>

Great post, by the way. Always a pleasure to read and see that<br>

1) Old Pentaxes get plenty of exercise<br>

2) El-cheapo glass finally gets some respect<br>

3) Mr. Drawbridge gets yet another mention in a pnet article</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nice cat portrait and dandelion puffs!</p>

<p>I don't have a Soligor lenses, I don't think, just four Vivitars and a Panagor to represent the 1960s-70s third-party vendors. (They're probably all made in the same Japanese factories anyway.) Of those, only the Panagor (a 200mm f/3.5) is M42 mount, and I don't think I've actually shot anything with it yet. I picked it up cheap on eBay a few months ago to give my M42 Pentaxes a bit more reach, but I haven't been shooting them much lately. I've been distracted by my most recent acquisitions, a Canon A-1 and a small fleet of Minoltas.</p>

<p>I posted about <a href="00Xq79">my black Spotmatic F</a> last December.</p>

<p>Mr. Drawbridge is a little embarrassed by all this...Thanks for the totally-undeserved accolades, <strong>Peter</strong>, but I'm glad I spurred you into creating such an interesting post. That Soligor performs well. I seem to have accumulated quite a range of "Lesser Brand" M42 135mm lenses, and they're great fun . Some of them match the Big Names, in performance, and the build quality is often superb. Panagor(Kino) and Soligor consistently measure up very well. Somehow, while I know many people find it "in-between", I find the 135mm a comfortable and creative focal length.</p>

<p>Nice portraits of Phoebe and Holden, though don't let the media exposure go to their heads. The black Spotmatic is beautiful, and I just hope "Sotmatic" isn't a Freudian Slip. My Mother warned me about those, but I don't wear slips, any more...</p>

<p>Craig, Rick - thank you for the kind and encouraging words - I have to say, I have slipped many a time, but usually on a banana peel... I guess sometimes a banana is just a banana though ;)</p>

<p>One thing I can't stress enough is how solid this Soligor is - its a hefty chunk of metal, and everything moves with a solid precision, even if the effort is more along the lines of the Russian "lubricant-compensated" focusing mechanisms, there is nothing sloppy or imprecise about it - and it really snaps into focus very authoritatively even on a somewhat dimmer focusing screen than I am usually used to (not that the Spotmatic screens are bad, I just think my main work horse, the New F1 is pretty extraordinary in that regard).</p>

<p>And Rick,the accolades are richly deserved - as far as Pheobe and Holden go, I tried to convey the warning about all this going to their heads... but their people said they'd get back to my people..maybe will do lunch... I don't know how to take it.</p>

<p>Rick, I love seeing what new images you've added and which weird or wonderful camera you've grabbed them with. Especially, being a 35-EE & SE owner, as you're a fan of the Fujica RF series too. Any chance of some more Fujica love in the not-too-distant future?</p>

<p>Love the dog shots too, Peter. The Spotmatics are an absolute classic, I suppose I will have to track one down myself eventually. I've stayed with Yashica and Fujica for M42 so far but I often have Super Tak lenses fitted to them.</p>

<p>What a fun post. I like your dog Holden. That lead pipe you have looks strikingly like a lead pipe that I have with a Hanimex label on it. Also 90-230, and also $5.00 (Canadian though...). Depending on when you got your lens, your's may have worked out to be about twenty cents cheaper. Congrats on the Spotmatic purchase. </p>

<p>Thanks so much for the kind words, and thank you for having a look - the animals are always such gratifying models!</p>

<p>Louis - I tend to agree, there is just something so right about that camera, I find myself just fondling it while I watch TV :) Wow... did I just admit to that?</p>

<p>Brett - resistance is futile:)</p>

<p>Rob - I believe the lead pipe I have is labelled Bushnell, and came with a very nice tripod collar - all purchased at a garage sale with the Sp1000. There was also a 3rd party 35mm that I have never used because it just wasn't really in one piece lol, but over all, it was a god find, lots of photos came out of that camera. And I am also in Canada, so I right now WE IS RICH!!! ;)</p>