Best DSLR under $1000

<p>I looked at the dp review of the Pentax K-5... Man... dp is really in love with that camera... It received the "Gold Award"... However, it is on the outer edge of what I will be able to spend on a camera... Thank you for the link to DxOMark.com, that is one cool website... Also, thank you for the good information concerning the Pentax K-5. </p>

<p>I must make a confession which will probably make everyone in the group want to vomit... While quality and value are my primary criteria in purchase decisions... There is a secondary consideration... If I can purchase a camera at Sam's Club or Best Buy and have the ability to return it if I do not like it... This is something I take in to account... Unfortunately, Both of those places tend to only sell Canon and Nikon products at the DSLR level... Sam's Club actually has the Nikon D90 on closeout right now. </p>

<p>I would agree that the Canon T3i and the Nikon D5100 good choices... Good value for the money... I have owned a Nikon D5000 and I honestly could not tell the difference between the images of my Nikon D5000 and my Canon 50D... Although, this may have more to do with my photography skills than the construction of the two cameras. </p>

<p>At this point, I will probably try to stay under the $1000 mark... There are so many good choices out there for under $1000 that a camera in this range will probably be able to do anything I want it to. </p>

<p>Thank you again for alot of good advice and information analysis... Thanks also to those of you who expanded my choices beyond the Canon/Nikon models... The Pentax and Sony models definitely deserve a closer look.</p>

<p>i agree with barry goldberg. such questions are strange. nobody has a clue as to what you want. best to go to a photo-store and ask them this question. i hope i don't come across as rude, because that's not my intention!</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>As a long time Nikon user, I recently bought an A580 and Sony 70-400. I photograph a lot of birds and college football so, at times, I have to raise the camera quickly to point it at the subject. The Sony has a mode where it focuses as you move the optical viewfinder to your eye. There is a sensor in the viewfinder that senses your eye and begins focusing before you have time to press the shutter release. I don't think the most expensive pro camera have this feature. For shooting quickly, I now consider it a necessity.</p>

• 12 years later...

You don't  really have to buy a brand new camera, although brand new camera's usually come with a warranty, a manual and you don't have to worry about hiden problems. However, what would you rather drive a used BMW,  or a brand new Toyota Corolla ?  Sometimes you can get more bang for the buck buying used, just saying.

• Like 1