Buying and Reselling Leicas

<p> Hello,</p>

<p> At my local antique store I have found A Leica M3 with an Elmar f/4 selling for $1175. The serial number is 952636 and appears to be in excellent condition, but without taking it out of the glass case it's in I can't be sure yet. I've also found a Leica CL with an f/2 lens selling for $650. It also appears to be in wonderful condition but I can't be sure yet. Are these cameras worth reselling, and are they as underpriced as they seem to be? I have a similar post about a Plaubel Makina II over in the large format forums.</p>

<p>Like with anything, condition is everything. And judging condition takes an expert to truly evaluate. Or you need the ability to run a test roll and have it developed. These deals at non camera dealers are often "the pig in a poke". Never buy any camera from anyone that doesn't have a liberal return policy.</p>

<p>Leicas are a good buy if you anticipate the expense of an overhaul and you convince yourself that you may not sell the camera at a profit. Unless a camera is very inexpensive, buying to resell is a "dice throw" in this economy. The truly mint ones go for big bucks to the collectors who don't really plan to use them. I buy with the idea of keeping an item and I might sell it at a future date but buying on speculation does not work for me in recent times.</p>

<p>Ditto to above. Cameras are priced average retail, even overpriced if you consider they are being sold by an antique store, not a camera dealer, have probably not been serviced (or even touched in any way) before going on sale and probably do not have a guarantee. Leicas are still sought after by collectors but as the generation which regarded Leicas as the Holy Grail dies out, prices are headed slowly downwards - definitely do not buy Leicas only as an investment which you hope will appreciate.</p>

<p>I will be blunt.<br>

If you have to ask these questions of a Forum, then you have no business buying and reselling.<br>

You will lose money. Dealers/collectors have acquired a lot of information over time and the resources to inspect the equipment and make judgements based on actual condition. Purchasing from a dealer already puts an add on to the price and is usually never profitable for re-sale.<br>

If you also don't have the means to take a loss, then best save your money.-Dick</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Leica M3 with an Elmar f/4 selling for $1175"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>An "Elmar f/4" indicates either the Leica CL 90mm lens or collapsible 90mm or the expensive Macro 90mm.<br /> Either of these three certainly make the deal more interesting...</p>

<p>Also, many of you may have noticed the current excessive demand for Leica M3 camera bodies. In fact, average condition bodies have been selling for over $1,100 plus ! (And they've all required service)<br /> I know, because I'm getting the calls, emails & repairs from these recent purchases.</p>

<p>Well, we may just be in the middle of a <strong>KR effect </strong>here.<br /> This where famous equipment reviewer <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m3.htm">Ken Rockwell</a> mentions a favorite camera. (The M3 as one of his favorite cameras of all time)</p>

<p>Plus, I don't have any qualms about somebody getting their hard earned "current money" together to trade their <strong>"cash is trash"</strong> into a "precious metal" commodity like a "Leica"...</p>

<p>Sounds like a high price to me for a used Leica in unknown condition by a seller who is not a camera expert. Consider that these "antique dealers" have access to ebay and will list their items according to the high end sales on that site. The camera that you will buy will almost certainly need a $250 CLA and that is without the lens needing servicing. Do you want an Elmar f4 as opposed to an f2.8? I saw a excellent+ M3 listed on another forum for $700 (under 1 million is less desireable). What should be the price of the elmar f4 added to a Leica M3, condition unknown? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Elmar f/4" indicates either the Leica CL 90mm lens or collapsible 90mm or the expensive Macro 90mm.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Could be the original 90mm Elmar, so it doesn't have to be any of the above.</p>

<p>These are reasonable prices for the goods (althought the CL is a bit steep) and may even be pretty good if they are in prime condition, but they are not such a bargain that you need to snap them up. Depends a lot on what kind of M3 it is too (is it single stroke/double stroke - later viewfinder or early type?) Certainly you will be lucky to make money on them unless they are mint. Unless you actually want to use them I would pass.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Good deals can and do happen. About a month ago I snapped up a M2-R in really nice condition for $999 from the website of a major reputable NY retailer. They usually sell for between $2K and $2.5K. Yes I took a chance and won this time, but my day job is still firmly in my grasp. </p>

<p>As the others have said, buying for resale is a tricky thing plus you are buying from a place that would typically overprice their merchandise.<br>

The M3 is debatable based on condition and model. There were two version of M3 with the less valuable being the M3 double stroke. Double stroke means you cocked the film advance twice to advance to the next frame while the more sought after and expensive single stroke could be worth more. But if you need to have each serviced to make usable or salable then you will probably wind up loosing money since this vendor is unlikely to give you any form of warranty or offer any sort of repair service should these cameras be faulty.<br>

The CL can also be a bit of a hit and miss. There were two versions again, this time a Leica branded version and an identical Minolta branded version. Other than the names on the bodies the cameras were identical. Where things get a bit interesting are the lenses. The Leica version shipped with a Leica Summicron-C 40mm f2.0 lens with collapsable rubber lens hood and snap on lens cap. The Minolta version shipped with a Minolta lens that was not identical to the Leica Summicron.<br>

I've owned and photographed with both types the one thing I found was that the metering system on the CL can be a bit tricky since the sensor is on a swing out stick that drops down in behind the lens. I've had to have my Minolta serviced once because the wiring gave out... I have a bad feeling finding parts today might be challenging. The other thing to be careful of with this camera is some lenses could have rear lens elements that protrude to far back and this could cause a problem and even damage that sensor so be wary or what lens is on this camera and also of what lenses you put on the camera!<br>

Bottom line, if it's an M3 SS then the price sounds about right for retail. The CL feels kind of high but that could depend a lot on whether it's a Minolta or Leica and what lens is on it.</p>