Urgent Help: Equipment Choice

fotografya

<p>Hello, there. I'm going on a journey to Italy for a week, in two days. Venice-Milano-Florence and Rome are the cities. Which of my equipment shall I take with me?<br>

Bodies: A) Pentax K 10D, B) Pentax ME, C) Pentax Spotmatic, D) Holga 135 TLR<br>

Lenses: Digital: a) Pentax 18-55mm kit, b) Pentax 10-17 mm fish eye, c) Sigma 70-300 tele/macro, <br>

d) Sigma 100 mm /2.8 macro<br>

K mount: 1) Kiron 80-210mm, 2) Sigma 24mm macro (auto aperture), <br>

3) autorevuenon 135mm/2.8, 4) Pentax 50 mm / 1.4<br>

M42: x) Jupiter 9 , 85 mm/2.0, y) Jupiter 37 AM 135 mm /3.5, <br>

z) Panagor 28 mm /2.5, w) İndustar 61 LZ 50 mm/2.8<br>

which of these would you prefer?</p>

<p>The Pentax K10D. A couple of batteries. Ten or 12 memory cards. The 18-55mm lens and the 10-17mm lens. And if you think you need the telephoto, something in lightweight category, lens -- maybe a 55-200mm lens that you don't have.</p>

<p>For one week, going with digital and film will be not-so-much fun.</p>

<p>Travel light - shoot a number of quality images. Enjoy your trip.</p>

<p>Why wouldn't you take all of your equipment?<br>

What good is it if you don't use it?<br>

You know better than anyone on this forum what your goals, interests, and limits are. Trust yourself and have a good time whatever you decide to bring with you.</p>

<p>Master,<br>

I disagree with Allen. Frankly I think two lenses is an absolute maximum. If you like photographing in museums, something fairly wide, fairly fast is helpful in a 'no-flash' environment. IMHO fisheyes are fun, but the images get old fast.<br>

If your intentions are to do any macro, then the Sigma 70-300 is worth considering because it can do double duty. If you REALLY want to do macro work, bring the 100 macro, otherwise..That 24mm macro sounds interesting, especially if it is an 'A' lens and is at least f2.8 for gallery work. I'm not familiar with the lens, but it may also be realatively light correct?<br>

My last trips to Europe were all Pentax film cameras, along with a ton of film. I find there is nothing better than no longer having to worry about bringing film (X-rays, weight, having the 'wrong film' in the camera when that special shot shows up (ie. you were shooting a garden with Velvia when suddenly the King of Spain shows up, you get that 'once-in-a-life time shot and you both look like clowns).<br>

Bringing a backup body is sometimes worth thinking about, but I think in this day and age my backup would be a small digital point and shoot.<br>

The old standard though, pack up everything, EVERYTHING! Walk around for a couple of days carrying it all. Suddenly carrying that stuff seems a lot less interesting.<br>

So my take, the K10 and 18-55. Maybe the 24mm, maybe the 70-300. Maybe apoint and shoot.<br>

The 18-55 is a d lens right? It won't cover your film SLRs. I love the ME Super, but I wouldn't want to bring it.<br>

PS. Watch out for pick-pockets. We ran into SEVERAL in Rome and Florance and Venice isn't all that much better. Don't make yourself a bigger target with a ton of equipment and wear your passport and money in a money belt. These guys are REALLY good, true professionals. It's almost an honor to have a professional of this caliber select you to use their talents. Point made.</p>

<p>I have tried to photograph each of the cities you are visiting. Your equipment choice depends greatly on what, and how, you want to shoot. However, my experience says the widest, fastest, lens are the way to go, plus a mid-range zoom. I personally found no use for long lens.</p>

The digital with it's kit lens... Fish eye? If it fits your style you can find good opportunities to use it in those cities. I

agree that tele isn't strictly necessary but it depends on your style. I also wouldn't shy away from bringing the ME and

the 50mm for it, and some B&W film (and an xray bag if you have it!) or even an M42 kit. There are great urban

scenes and textures you can use it on, and It's not tourist high season yet.