A few IR images

<p>here are a few infrared images i shot yesturday down at the lake, when i bought this film it was late in the year, I shot a roll and decided to save the last roll until spring when the leaves came out, these were shot using a shen hao 4x5 and a 6x9 film back, lens was a 152 ektar and a hoya r72 filter, dev. was hc110</p><div>00YhUN-356679584.thumb.jpg.5b1eeeccfd02540bcdb83fc3616eba3f.jpg</div>

<p>Hi John,</p>

<p>It is nice to see some film shots. Of the lot I think the second shot, wide angle of the lake is the best. I sense the color even though it is missing. The light and dark textures of the trees, the composition, and the exposure feels right. The last three appear over exposed. The best clouds to shoot are thunderheads and cirrus. Though any with a good texture and visual movement add a lot to an image. Most likely my IR thunderhead shot will show up under this message.</p>

<p>I shoot IR digital with a Canon 10D and the right look is tough to get sometimes.</p>

<p>CHEERS...Mathew</p>

Well John I too like the clouds ! Nice stuff! One day I'll try infrared film. I like the ethereal look. I've seen some cool looking english castles done in infrared. That third shot; I can't tell if it's just over exposed or out of focus but the lower part of the tree looks right in contrast and focus, was the exposure sufficiently long enough that there is some "movement" in the branches. You do it in regular b&w chemistry right? Really fine work! looking forward to your next roll.. expensive learning curve??

<p>hi chuck, yes the wind was blowing a bit, even in bright sun my exposure was about 1/2 sec. stopped down to f22, i was using a 152mm lens on 6x9, had to stop way down to try to get everything sharp. as far as expensive learning curve, ya the film i used was i think about 9.00 a roll last year when i bought it, if i shoot it with my film back its over 1.00 per image, guess i need to shoot it with my rollei : ) i tried the ilford sfx last year too, its like 6.00 a roll i think, but the rollei film seems to have more of the effect. </p>

<p>Always interesting, the IR images, though the little I've done in the medium I found a little frustrating because I was never sure of what I was going to get. But that's half the fun of it, I guess...You have your usual nice compositions, <strong>John</strong>, and thanks for a really interesting post.</p>

<p>Lovely shots - even the slightly overexposed ones still have a "look" about them. Have you tried portraiture on IR film? I have to say, its interesting, I think its worth a try. Outdoors I find it can give wild results, and in controlled light, it can yield very pleasing, flattering results with a somewhat "china doll" ethereal look. I blab about it because in my case I just did better than I did with my attempts at landscapes:) </p>

<p>John - I have no doubt you will enjoy the experiment - I found HIE to produce more "freaky" results while SFX was a little more subtle, I suppose it can be said the results were more "pleasant" - that of course being a very subjective observation and it really depends what you want to achieve. I have not tried any of the Rollei films myself - but from what I understand they will yield a result somewhere between the Kodak and Ilford offerings - with the sensitivity of the former but without the wild effects the lack of an anti-halation layer would bring (unless you use the Aura). Good luck and I look forward to more examples of your fine work.</p>