Replaced Shutter, but actuation count still high

kevin_break

<p>40D shutter died, camera wouldn't even turn on.<br>

Local shop says it needed a new shutter for only 260$ and five days.<br>

However when I shot ~5,000 frames today on the new shutter, I hooked the 40D up to EOSinfo and it says it has over 98,000 shots.<br>

Does the count reset when there is a new shutter, or is the data stored elsewhere?<br>

TIA</p>

<blockquote>

<p>However when I shot ~5,000 frames today on the new shutter</p>

</blockquote>

<p>5000 in a day? I shoot 5000 every YEAR! I think the 40D shutter has an expected life cycle of 50,000. If you shot at that rate every day then your shutter would last 10 days! If you were shooting film you'd be burning through $1400 a day!</p>

<p>Pretty sure my forefinger would crap out if I pressed the shutter button 5000 times in one day. I couldn't imagine going through 5000 images and picking out the good ones to convert, tweak and print or put in web galleries. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I shoot 5k a day easily for weddings (though I spread it over two cameras), If you make that a habit though, I'd suggest maybe upgrading to a a 1 or 5 series body. If this is the only problem you've experienced w/ the camera over 98,000 exposures than you should consider yourself lucky! You've certainly gotten your money's worth!</p>

<p>I had a shutter replaced on a Nikon D300 - It was reset to 0 when they installed the new one. They did 10 test images - it showed 10 on Shutter Activations when I got it. Based on that experience - I'd expect it to be reset to the actual number on that shutter assembly.</p>

<p>I don't think it's the same as replacing the tires on the car, Steve - since the counter (on Nikons anyway) is clicks on the shutter, not clicks on the body. Or if you wanted to use the car analogy - it would be more like replacing an engine as opposed to new tires.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well this client shoots specific stock photos of people in specific poses and I'm doing another 4-6K photos today, and yes, I do get a numb shooting finger and tennis elbow.<br>

At the end of the day I'm wiped, but it pays my rent in just the two days. Then I don't see him again for a couple months.<br>

I use the 40D since I don't want to put the wear onto my 7D or 5D, thanks for all the responses!</p>

<p>[[unfortunately this is the only piece of software which can read Canon 40D's shutter actuations. And it's quite precisely.]]</p>

<p>It wasn't used before the camera was repaired and the OP has stated that he's never tracked the numbers before then, so how high can the confidence level be that the number is right? But more importantly, if shutter count wasn't an issue before, why make it one now? Even if the number is wrong, is it so difficult to track the new shutter yourself?</p>

<p>@Rob and Kevin<br />As I know, this application reads directly from camera's chipset in the same way as Canon does it in their service centers, even if it is a third party application. They match Canon's tags which store the count of shutter actuations.<br />I test it on my 40D and I found out that it reads correctly the data. I rely on this tool. In fact is the only one, beside a trip to Canon, which can offer this information.<br>

I'm not a maniac of the number of picture taken, but once a year I look at it, out of curiosity. It is more convenient than counting the number of saved pictures plus an estimation of images deleted directly from camera.</p>

Kevin, to ad to your post I have to tell you that I recently replaced the shutter and the curtain on my D2X and the

count remained at or around 25K so I think there is no resetting of the shutter done. I also must express my shock at

the sheer amount of images you seem to take in one day. I shoot for a clothing manufacturer and I can't make myself

shoot that many images in a month yet alone a day. Like someone said here, how do you have time to choose the

best ones to catalogue them? I have trouble choosing out of hundreds! Just out of curiosity how many images do you

shoot for each clothing change? If I get to fifty each I have enough poses. But then again I have very strict guidelines.

By the way I shoot with a medium format digital and not a DSLR so maybe that explains the difference in amount of

shots.

Anyways, I guess you can buy those cameras cheap enough now a day.

<p>Well the beauty of this client is that he picks the images and sends them to India to have the background removed.<br>

I just have to provide a clean grey backdrop.<br>

The models are shot for stock to be used in educational guides and PowerPoint manuals, they all are different ethnicities and run thru the exact same poses, emotional reactions; doctor, nurse, patient, intern, plumber, secretary, middle management, upper management, mail room clerk, telemarketer, etc ... props are a minimum.<br>

I admit it is a real grind, especially to shoot the exact same 50-60 poses, each facing in a different direction, left, to the right, front, rear, diagonal left, diagonal right on 12 people, then repeat for six different outfits, makes my brain go numb, right after I lose sensation in my arm all the way up to the shoulder. And yes, he wants raw and jpeg, and I'm counting the file # and dividing by two before I found the EOSinfo utilility, to get a shutter count. I got him to pay a little for wear and tear on the camera, so I'm ok with it wearing out. Again.<br>

The subjects move too much to use a tripod, believe me, I tried tripods twice.<br>

Just before I lost contact with my arm, I took a pain med and it worked perfect till it wore off later that night.<br>

His check cleared today.<br>

:)</p>

<p>As a mechanic - I agree the tire analogy doesn't really work but by saying the "shutter count" should be reset is like saying an odometer should be reset when an engine is replaced. What about the rest of the vehicle? Transmission, tires, body, brakes, etc. The mirror assembly moves as often (or more) than the shutter and it could fail. The shutter release button could fail. The command wheel could fail, etc. So I gotta agree that it shouldn't be reset.</p>

<p>Nice that you got almost 100,000 clicks out of it though.</p>