Which len(es) to bring on a cruise

henry_l

<p>Not sure what ports of call you have, but most Mexican Cruises stop at XCARET, which has great photographic opportunities. When I went I had a crop sensor camera and a 50 f/1.8 because I was travelling light.</p>

<p>Hindsight being what it is, on that trip I would have skipped a few excursions they offered at the park, (the reason I was travelling light), and brought my 70-200mm. There's a big cats display that I was kicking myself over when I got there with only a 50mm.</p>

<p>If I went again I'd forget travelling light and bring my FF camera, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, and 300mm f/4.<br>

<br />RS</p>

<p>I agree with almost every think that has been said. I took my 24-105 lens and my wife took her 15-85 and 28-135 lens and were able to capture almost every thing we wanted to take on our last cruise in December. The only time my 70-200 f/2.8 was used was to capture fish shots from our cabin balcony and while going into and out of port.</p>

<p>Wife and I have been on 20+ cruises. I consider myself an accomplished photographer with more than 50 years of film and digital exposures under my belt.<br>

As this is your 1st cruise go easy on yourself. A good point and shoot with wide andle capabilities is a "must" to live with onboard. A DSLR with wide to med zoom is a good all around lens to take. One thing you will soon find is that time on shore at various ports of call is way too short / hectic to really get into serious image making. Way too many people all wanting to be in the same spot at the same time.<br>

Enjoy your cruise from more than just the back of your camera.</p>

<p>thank again everyone for the insight,<br>

I have a much better idea now. Bill Haag, thanks for the wisdom, I anticipate chaos when we're visiting the port. Maybe, shooting for two excursions, but one if I'm lucky.<br>

I'm leaning towards NOT bringing a 70-200, as it may yield excellent shots, but probably won't indicate that we're on a cruise. I'll go wide on the 60D with the 10-22, and supplement with S95 for everything else.<br>

My dad will take the 5DII with 24-105, and that should suffice for his needs. We can swap gear as needed.</p>

<p>If you want to travel light, I suggest the 60D, 24-105, and 10-22. This is my main travel rig and covers a fair range. Even lighter, then just take the 5DII and the 24-105.<br>

Depending on you shooting style a 70-something tele might be useful too.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've found that it's best to to regard a cruise as a family holiday with occasional photo opps rather than as a 'photo trip'.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd agree with what the other Tom said previously, since you have an 18-month old. Bring the S95 and let Dad carry the dslr. Your wife will be happier, and that's more important. Nothing worse in my experience than playing with lens changing when the wife is asking for help with kid care...Tom</p>