Photo Mats

rawphotos

<p>I cut my own. There are a number of types of mat cutters on the market. If you constantly need mats cut you may as well do it yourself. I use a hand cutter from Logan. I find it quite a nice tool, easy to use. You can view their products at www.logangraphic.com/products/. They are by no means the only suppliers so shop around.</p>

<p>A halfway decent standard mat runs about $4 around here, custom cut mats are $15 or more. I can cut my own for $1.50 or so in materials. It takes less than 10 minutes to cut a mat and mount a print. Since a good mat cutter can be had for $100 or less you can see it doesn't take many pictures to pay for the expense.</p>

<p>You can get standard and custom-cut mats at www.matcutter.com but unless you order a bunch the shipping will kill any price advantage.</p>

<p>As both George and David said, cutting your own is much more economical and rewarding. I cut all my own except when I'm having a show and need a bunch all at once.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>I agree with everything above; I photograph for gallery exhibits and as such many of my prints are matted and framed. The most recent exhibit I did, 25 prints - the single most expensive part of it was the mats (because I had them custom cut). I already had a lot of the frames from previous exhibits.</p>

<p>So if you're going to do it a lot, invest in - and learn to use - a mat cutter. </p>

I think Jim is asking about fancy cut mats, ones that don't have just straight edges. Most mat cutters cut straight lines. I'm not sure how well a rotary mat cutter works. I tried using a hand held mat cutter on 100% rag, museum quality mat board. That stuff is hard. I kept ending with up turned corners.
James G. Dainis