scott_killian1

I've apparently completely lost my mind as I now have a nagging urge to

make even larger negatives for contact printing. The resulting illness has me

looking at various 8x10 cameras, particularly oldies like the Deardorff,

Korona, Seneca, etc...

I'm going to be in NYC on business next week and was hoping somebody on

the forum could recommend a shop in the city that would actually have a

selection of older 8x10 cameras (somebody other than B&H). I'm aware of

eBay, but was hoping I could actually handle some of these cameras.

I am always amazed that anyone uses Lens & Repro anymore. They have high prices but more importantly the rudeness of the salespeople is probably unsurpassed in NYC. This is really an accompishment! Most of the pros I know avoid them like the plague. Try Photo Habitat (212-473-5665) or FotoCare (212-741-2990) for knowledgeable people who seem to actually want your business. These guys are a pleasure to do business with.

I have bought equipment at almost all of the stores so far listed. Lens and

Repro is expensive, and Jeff Kay, the owner, can be quite grumpy and

occasionally rude, however his knowledge and stock of older and obscure

equipment is unsurpassed. Photo Gizzmo, Photo Habitat, and FotoCare are

all good stores, with smart, helpful, and friendly staff, but small used stock. B&

H and Adorama have used equipment, but their staff can range from helpful

and knowledgeable (like Julio at Adorama) to completely ignorant (like most

of the other sales people at Adorama) and rude (like many of the B&H used

sales people). Another store is Camera Traders (on W17th), I have bought

some great stuff there, however caveat emptor--buyer beware-- their

equipment is not always in great shape, just be careful. Avoid Cambridge

Camera at all costs. Remember, in a number of these stores you can offer

your own price, or trade. Good Luck!

"I am always amazed that anyone uses Lens & Repro anymore. They have high prices but more importantly the rudeness of the salespeople is probably unsurpassed in NYC"

I concur! Rude and condescending. I went there a couple of years ago to see if they had any Minolta Autocords in stock, and the rep disdainfully sniffed at my interest in "last century" equipement as he called it (coicidentally they didn't have one in stock) ... then brazenly tried to sell me a Yashica 635 (inferior 3-element lens) that he'd just gotten in. I guess the relevance of the date of manufacture was directly related to the odds of the rep being able to make a sale.

The only positive thing I can say about them is that they once offered more money for a Canon rangefinder and lenses than B&H, Adorama or Camera Traders did. Still not high enough for me to sell it to them, but at least it's a point in their favor.

I have had only good experiences in dealing with Lens & Repro. Professsional service and they have many hard to find items. Ken Hansen is also very professsional, but their business is now mostly geared to medium format & smaller. Photo Gizzmo is also a good place to visit.

I have a grudging admiration for Lens And Ripoff, because the guys know their stuff -- ask for GI (Geoffrey Itten). Jeff Hirsch at Foto Care is great. At Camera Traders you may be able to pick up a good lens. The whole trick to shopping is to define your needs -- which is kind of hard until you have a clear idea of what you are doing. It's a bit like shopping for a musical instrument that you have not yet learned to play.

Photo Gizzmo and Ken Hansen.

Ken is moving away from LF and is doing house cleaning. Maybe you can find something cheap there.

If you just want to handle some 8x10 cameras, go visit GI at Lens and Repro. If you are nice to Jeff Key, he might give you a "huge" discount, so you can buy a camera there. Second thought, Ebay has better prices. Cheers,