<p>How do I disable iPhoto so it does not launch automatically whey I connect a CF card reader to my computer. I want to use Lightroom and PS. I solved this problem once long ago, but had to reinstall the operating system after a hard drive replacement, and now can't figure out how to do it.</p>

<p>Bob did you get it to work ? If not, attach your CF card reader with CF card mounted->Open Applications' folder->select Image Capture->will see your device on left panel->bottom of left panel is a 'up' symbol, click on that->will open up a window->will let you select which program you want to use.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Thanks to all. I used the Image Capture steps and it seems to have worked. Now when I plug in a card reader it opens LR3.</p>

<p>Now, I just have to figure out how to use the program. Any good recommendations for a tutorial? I'm not quite a beginner, but none of this is intuitive to me, so it will have to start out at a pretty basic level. I'm having trouble even understanding the labels used in the program.</p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>

<p>If you have $25 a month to spend, subscribe to Lynda.com. Lots of tutorials on LR3. Otherwise, look for iTunes podcasts on LR3. There are several. Finally, you could buy a Dummies book or, like I did, buy LR3 Classroom in a Book to really dive deep.</p>

<p>I have two recommendations for you as you begin to use LR:<br>

1. Understand that changes you make to the photo are virtual in every case - they do not affect the file jpg/psd/nef/tiff/etc. <br>

2. If you want to make different versions of the same pic, use the "snapshot" tool (look it up) instead of making a virtual copy. It will keep your catalogs much cleaner.</p>

<p>Brian - thanks for the tips and recommendations. Does Classroom in a Book start at an entry level, or is it too deep for a beginner? I think I would do better with a book rather than an online or podcast tutorial. More time to study, I guess. Maybe I need to start with the "Dummies" book, and move up from there?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"2. If you want to make different versions of the same pic, use the "snapshot" tool (look it up) instead of making a virtual copy. It will keep your catalogs much cleaner."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think that is a very personal decision. I prefer to be able to see variations of images <strong>side by side</strong> in the library or survey view. That's why I use virtual copies more often than snapshots. I find snapshots helpful in the process of developing an image. But I might want to preserve two or more different versions as <strong>virtual copies</strong> in the library for future use, which isn't possible with snapshots.</p>