How much to charge?

<p>I'm just beginning to sell my work and wanted some input on how much to charge.<br>

Here are the specs:<br>

-- 8x10 print<br />-- Epson Premium Photo Lustre paper<br />-- 11x14 acid free matte<br>

For now I'm happy to cover my material costs and make a few bucks over that, but eventually I would like to cover my labor costs as well.<br>

Also, should I sign the print, matte, or both?<br>

If you have pricing input on 5x7 and 16x20 sizes, please include matte size as well.<br>

Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Are these for sale as art (say, at a craft show), or are these part of what you're delivering from a portrait session, event coverage, etc? I've sold that exact configuration (8x10 luster in an 11x14 AF mat, with 3/16ths AF foam core backing, all in a clear, sealed bag) for $25, and for $125. It really depends on the venue, the audience, and the circumstances.</p>

<p>Many, many years ago ago (1970s) I had a friend who was selling matted 11x14 B&W fine art prints at craft shows around Baltimore. These were very good landscapes aspiring toward an Ansel Adams look. The photographer was selling them for about $50 and had few sales. He finally asked one of the more successful craft show sellers what was wrong. The answer: you're not charging enough. At $50 they're just photogaphs. For $500, they're art. So he jacked up his prices and he saw his sales go through the roof. Same pictures, new pricetag. Eventually retired to Florida.</p>

<p>I sell an 8 X 10 print matted in a frame for $150. I sell a 10 X 15 print, similarly matted and framed for $250. The larger prints sell much better to my clientele of friends and acquaintances than do the smaller. But there's not $100 more image there. It's about the impression.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Margie,<br>

I don't exactly understand what you're asking. You cleary state:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Here are the specs:<br />-- 8x10 print<br />-- Epson Premium Photo Lustre paper<br />-- 11x14 acid free matte<br />For now I'm happy to cover my material costs and make a few bucks over that...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You've answered your own question, so just do the math.</p>