How do they do this in photoshop?

<p>Every so often you see pictures that totally inspire you... you get a feeling of I need to do that. So here it is -<br /><a href="http://www.horse-photographer.co.uk/horse-gallery-1.html">http://www.horse-photographer.co.uk/horse-gallery-1.html </a>This website has hoarse pictures like Ive never seen before but my question is -<br /> "What post production work was done to these pics to make them so compelling. The hand of photoshop? If yes what sort of effects in photoshop?"</p>

<p>Any insights welcome :-)</p>

<p>You are seeing several techniques throughout those images. Are you referring mostly to the first image that displays at the URL you've linked to?<br /><br />If so: that's a shot that's been metered for the ambient light (so that the sky doesn't go black), and then a flash is being used to illuminate the foregound. I'd say that the flash is up on a fishpole, using a gridded modifier or some sort, or snoot, etc., to produce that puddle of light (note the shadows of the horses's legs). <br /><br />Other examples in that group of shot simply show a normal exposure that's been heavily vignetted in post production. That's safer than upsetting a couple thousand pounds of horse with a flash mounted twelve feet over head on a boom arm.</p>

<p>I don't see photoshop, I see very good lighting. Take a look at the closeup of the eye, you can clearly see the reflection of the light source in the horse's eye. If they were photoshopping that image heavily, that clear reflection would be about the first thing to go.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Most he does it with lighting...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Looks to me that is the case as well. Strobe (with perhaps grid spots) and alteration of shutter for ambient light to bring it down. Its not Photoshop IMHO.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>The technique is shot by day using a flash head and balancing this with available light, this combined with Matthew exceptional camera work creates the images you see on this site.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>"English is not needed for writing of this." This is clearly how it's done, although I suspect that there is a fair amount of post-production involved to get colors and tones right.</p>