Epson V500 being 'eccentric'

<p>Hello,</p>

<p> My Epson V500 is being difficult. It seems to function fine in the fully auto mode, but that's not much use to me. In the Home mode, it scans the images but cannot make the last step of saving them. In the Professionsl mode -- the one I use -- here's the problem: I initiate the scan and the light under the scanner bed comes on. The light shuffles back and forth an inch or so, the scanner makes all the right sort of noises, then it sits there with the light on but not moving. It will do a preview scan in Professional and the other modes. I hope it's not a terminal issue; I can't afford to replace it!</p>

<p>Thanks in advance,</p>

<p>Rob</p>

<p>Rob, I own one of these scanners also but I've never used the bundled software that came with it. I use Vuescan and have never experienced a problem with that combo. If none of the suggestions above work for you I suggest you download a free trial version of the Vuescan software. The only difference between the paid and trial versions is that the trial version file will have watermark $ signs spread throughout the file, a feature that disappears when you finally pay for it. Keep us informed of your results, successful or not. I think many here could benefit from this exercise, especially if it's resolved for you. Best, LM.</p>

<p>Rob, For the record, let us know if the Vuescan software is what made you a happy camper or whether the reinstalled bundled Epson software was the solution. I'm beating the drum for the Vuescan solution having never used the software that came bundled with the V500 scanner. Best, LM.</p>