Antelope Canyon

<p>I am headed to Antelope Canyon in a few weeks (April 19-20). Can anybody tell me whether or not I need a guide to spend two or three hours shooting in the canyons? Further, is it worth dividing my time between the canyons, or should I just try to shoot one?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Jason</p>

Antelope Canyon is on Navajo land, I.e. private property, so you can't just go there yourself. You need to go with

authorized tour outfits, some of whom are Navajo and some of whom are not. There should be plenty of information

available on the web.

One important thing to know. Fine sand falls into the canyon constantly. It can do a lot of damaged to your

equipment. Canging lenses inside the canyon is a really bad idea, for instance. Some sort of weathe protection cover

for the camera is recommended. The sand wreaked havoc on my contact lenses. Be forewarned.

Also, weather. If there is ANY chance of rain anywhere in the area, DO NOT ENTER THE CANYON. You could be

KILLED by flash floods.

<p>Man, when I went there you just opened the gate and drove in(1983), no fee, no guides. I was in the upper canyon for several hours all by myself--exposures on film were up to 30+mins each. Oh, for the good old days!</p>

<p>It is an incredible place, and maybe better even when you can experience it alone. Even then the place was over photographed, but still wonderful.</p>

<p>I was there in April 2008. During the 30 minutes when the light shafts came through the place was full of people and like a zoo. <br>

I used Antelope Canyon Tours and went on their "Photographer's Tour." <br>

http://www.antelopecanyon.com<br>

For the first 30 minutes our Navajo guide took us quickly through the canyon to get shots of the light beams. I was lined up with 10 other people all setting up tripods jammed in elbow to elbow. It was the exact opposite of serene and relaxing. Mixed in with all of that were other tour groups from other companies. The guides were constantly yelling back and forth for people to move to get out of our shots and also throwing sand up in the air to scatter the light and make neat flowing sand type photos. After the sun had moved and there were no more light beams the regular tour groups mostly cleared out. It was actually peaceful and relaxing and we got another 1.5 hours to explore the canyon on our own before meeting back at the entrance.</p>

<p>Oh yea, the sand. I actually used a blower to blow the sand off the lenses while the shots were being made--about every 5 minutes or so. It falls constantly, but is so fine you don't notice it if you don't carry a flashlight--which you always do if you are using a view camera! After being there was the only time I have had a lens act up and needed to send it out for cleaning.</p>

<p>I really can't imagine being there with others at all, let alone a large group. It was such a magical place when alone--I actually don't know if I ever heard anyone else say they were there alone, even the guy who gave me directions. (the closest was a guy, Bruce Burnbaum, who told me he had been there with his dog) I had to walk most of the way down the wash to get there, maybe all but a 100-200 yards or so as my van sunk in pretty quick. I was told I would know it when I saw it, but not told what it would look like. I saw some narrow canyons off the wash I was walking up, but felt they weren't significant enough to "know it when I saw it". It was hot and carrying 50 pounds of cameras wasn't fun in all that loose sand. Then I saw it and knew I was there. A long black slit in the cliff side. The initial drop in temperature as you walk in and the "silence" that cups your ears is a rare experience--especially noticeable after walking in the sun and heat to get there. Right after I got in there and was getting settled in this incredible environment, I heard a loud clacking that startled me. I called out to see if someone was up ahead, just more clacking noise. Then, it sounded like a pterodactyl was flying into the place. It was a crow clacking and which had taken off, but the sound was so amplified--pretty cool actually!</p>

<p>When I was there in 2002, there were many tours operating out of Page, AZ that went to Upper Antelope Canyon. The light shafts mostly happen in the middle of the day. They change from minute to minute and from day to day. </p>

<p>Lower Antelope Canyon and some of the other slot canyons require more strenuous hiking and sometimes a bit of climbing. A tour guide is probably still needed and the fees will be much higher. These other canyons will be much less crowded.</p><div>00YSHt-342143684.jpg.16f9ec5f7a150a035d08cfff01742166.jpg</div>

Yes, it can be a zoo at peak light-beam hours. There are people who are making three, five, or ten-minute exposures.

There are tourists who can't understand why they have to stand still and wait for these people, because they can't

comprehend why a photograph could take that long. And you have the guy who swears that he has turned his in-camera flash off until he clicks the shutter and FLASH! - everyone's long exposure is ruined in a instant. Needless to

say, tensions can run high.

<p>There are two Antelope Canyons - the upper and the lower. The lower one is extremely crowded and it is very difficult to get a shot without people in it.</p>

<p>The upper Antelope Canyon has less crowds and you can go by yourself. Just pay the fee at the booth and they will show you the entrance to the slot. You can stay as long as you want. I got my best shots in the upper canyon!</p>

<p>I think Juergen has it backwards, Upper is the crowded one. Upper has the light shafts.</p>

<p>It is extremely dusty. Definitetly bring something to cover your camera inbetween shots. I used a cheap shower cap.</p>

<p>i shot at ISO 400 at f11 for most shots to limit the exposure times and reduce the risk of people spoiling my images. The people shooting at ISO 100 at f22 are more at risk.</p>

<p>I was there in early autumn 2009, and there was, as has been said by others, quite a crowd of people with whom I had to share the canyons. All of the above problems with tourists and shouting guides were definitely there. Like Matthew says: book well in advance. The extended photography tours are few compared to the normal quickly guided tours, and they seem to fill up rather quickly.</p>

<p>Jason,</p>

<p>It is worth your time to do both upper and lower. Start at the lower canyon and go to the upper about 11:30 for the great shaft which comes down in the large room right at the entrance.</p>

<p>I think the cost for lower was $20.00/4 hours, morning is best, plus $6.00 Indian land fee, which also applies to the upper.</p>

<p>The Navajo try to time the tours for spacing to allow for photography of the shafts but it will still be crowded.</p>

<p>Someone will always be throwing sand into the air to define the shafts. Allow the sand to settle, and the fine dusting will better outline your image.</p>

<p>Also be careful to not overweight your light meter on the bright light. A slight underexposure will give some drama to the image.</p>

<p>Your mid April timing is good for shooting in both canyons. It is dry and usually good light.</p>

<p>You haven't needed a guide at the lower in the past, pay your money and go. But you will have a guide in the upper. The shorter tours are 1 hour length, long enough to get the main shot but too short to wander around for more.<br /> Taking the photo tour is 4 hours, or use to be, and allows more time to roam around and compose between the mobs.<br /> Once again, go in the morning.</p>

<p>Best,<br /> www.billproudphotography.com</p>

<p>A general guideline for visiting any of the Western Nat'l Parks or places like Page, AZ. Is to avoid going between Memorial day and Labor day. The upper Antelope is the more zoo like. It is almost wheelchair accessible. The lower involves some scrambling and climbing, and is usually less crowded if you go early in the day.</p>