EOS 5D Mark II wich 35mm ?

romain_j.

<p>Hi,<br>

<br />I am looking for advice for 5D Mark II lenses. I have a 50mm F1.4 USM, that gives me good results. I would like to acquire a 35mm fixed focal length, I prefer to avoid zooms for obvious reasons, I heard that the 35mm F2 is really bad, especially in the corners of the image. So I'm leaning towards the 35mm F1.4, but still very expensive. Before being prohibited banking, I wanted to collect opinions of users satisfied with the couple 5D/35mm F1.4 ...<br>

<br />Thank you,<br>

Romain</p>

<p>The 35mm f/2 is very good optically; it actually has less CA than the 35mm f/1.4 L, according to reviews you can find online. Build quality is of course not as good as the L, and even a step below the 50mm f/1.4 USM, though better than the 50mm f/1.8 II. And because the 35mm f/2 doesn't have USM, it makes a small buzzing noise when autofocusing. But it's good value for money and produces nice images; definitely worth consideration if the cost of the 35mm f/1.4 L is prohibitive.</p>

Thank you for your answers.<br /><br />Many sellers tell me that the difference between the 50mm F1.2 and 50mm F1.4 is really small, some even say that the 1.4 is better at F8 F11 (aside the quality of construction).<br /><br />But against the difference between the 35mm F2 and F1.4 is enormous. The difference in price is justified, it seems. That's why I ask your opinion.<br /><br />Craig you are using 1.4 on a 5D?

<br />

<p>I don't own a 35mm f/1.4 L. I currently own a 35mm f/2, which I use on my 5D Mark II. The f/1.4 L is a fine lens, but for my purposes the substantial difference in cost is not justified, especially since published tests show that in some regards (CA in particular) the f/2 is actually somewhat better. Consider these quotes from slrgear.com's reviews of the two lenses:</p>

<p>"At a price of about $250, the Canon 35mm f/2 lens is a winner. In a few words, here's why. In blur tests, it's a standoff with the Canon 35mm f/1.4 ($1150) and measurably better than the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX ($420). The Canon f/2 slightly outperforms the other two lenses in both chromatic aberration and geometric distortion comparisons. And it (Canon f/2) holds its own quite well in the light fall-off measurements against the other two lenses."</p>

<p>"[The 35mm f/1.4 L] makes a good lens for a full-frame user if you really need that f/1.4 maximum aperture. If you can get by with f/2 to f/2.8 though, the Canon 35mm f/2 gives much better bang for the buck."</p>

<p>It's true that the comparison between the 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.2 L is closer, mostly because the 50mm f/1.4 has USM with full-time manual focusing, which the 35mm f/2 does not. But the 35mm f/2 is still good enough and affordable enough that it deserves serious consideration unless you absolutely have to have USM or f/2 just isn't fast enough.</p>

<p>The 35mm f1.4L is, justifiably, a legendary lens. The only thing keeping me from buying one now is the nagging feeling that when a new 1Ds MkIV is announced (sometime in the foreseeable future) it will be with a MkII 35 f1.4 L, I doubt the image quality will be vastly different but, for my use, I would really like weather sealing.</p>

I have the 35 F2 and I am disappointed with it. I find the 50F1.4 and 85F1.8 are both very good - especially for their

price (although the 50F1.4 is soft until F2). I rarely use my 35F2 as I find the 24-70 performs as well. I was a big fan

and user of the old FD series 35F2 but the EF lens has not impressed me

<p>Philip, you didn't say what it was about the 35mm f/2 that you found disappointing. What was it?</p>

<p>The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM is a fantastic zoom lens that costs something like five times the price of the 35mm f/2. I was highly impressed by its performance, but I don't like carrying around a brick on the front of my camera, so I ended up selling it.</p>

<p>I don't find the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM to be all that soft below f/2, but the DOF is so shallow that it is very easy to get soft pictures.</p>

<p>Not sure why you are asking for "advice" - it seems that your mind is already made up, though based on some questionable assumptions. You want to avoid zooms "for the obvious reasons?" What might those be? You have heard that the 35mm f/2 is "really bad, " especially in the corners - which is not the case at all. And you only want the opinions of those who are "satisfied" with the lens you seem to have settled on, the 35mm f/1.4.</p>

<p>Why are you asking us, again?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 35mm f1.4L is, justifiably, a legendary lens. The only thing keeping me from buying one now is the nagging feeling that when a new 1Ds MkIV is announced (sometime in the foreseeable future) it will be with a MkII 35 f1.4 L.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's funny, I just had the same dream! ;-) </p>

<p>People seem to like the 35/2, but when I read the review of it on "the digital picture" I wonder why as it wins no awards resolution-wise at or near full aperture - in fact it looks pretty poor. The 24/2.8 is pretty good (I have one). Pretty well everyone loves the 35/1.4 (me included), except perhaps for Photozone.de. If you cannot stretch to an L (I don't blame you) I think you will just have to get the 35/2 and be done with it. The 24-70mm, by the way, is very good at 35mm, but it is a huge lens and expensive (like the 35L).</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Optically the 35/2 is a great little lens, IMHO. Small, light, and beautifully sharp photos. But nobody mentioned how LOUD the little sucker is! I actually had people at parties stop talking and look at me more than once! Oh well, ear plugs are cheap...<br>

I think most of the incredible wonder of the 35/1.4 is in the wide-open end, plus craftsmanship. But for the same price you could buy 4 35/2s so I don't think that's as big of a factor.</p>