5D Mirror Issue: Good News

divo

<p>Just wanted to let 5D users know that I had the mirror on my 5D fall out while I was travelling in South Africa. I was concerned that I would have to wait until I got back to South Korea (where I purchased the unit) to avail myself of the free servicing promised by Canon.</p>

<p>However, I took it into Camera Tek (Canon Service in Jo'burg) and within a week they had it back to me fixed, serviced and in great working order--if anything the focus is better than before. It appears that it truly is covered under their international warranty, no questions asked. They reinforce and reinstall the mirror then calibrate and do a general service (not sure what this includes) of the unit. I was able to keep shooting and was happy with the overall experience.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It appears that it truly is covered under their international warranty, no questions asked.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They repair no matter what. Warranty is not needed at all. It's probably Canon's greatest blunder and do all this to make you forget it.</p>

<p>Two experiences:<br>

(1) When I received my new EOS 5D (when first available), one of the first things I did was remove the body cap from the camera. When I removed the cap the mirror fell out onto the floor! The camera was fixed under warranty.<br>

(2) Recently, my wife sent her 100-400mm lens to canon for repair. The lens was out of warranty by about two weeks but Canon sent an E-mail that the lens was accepted for repair under warranty. After two telephone calls and about three weeks had elapsed Canon sent an E-mail stating there was extensive damage and offered to fix the lens for the cost of a new lens. </p>

<p>I had the same problem with my 5D a couple of weeks ago. I live in New York. Called Canon they sent me a UPS shipping label, sent it to the repair center in New Jersey and they had it back to me within a week. No charge. Bad engineering on Canon's part but at least they provided good support for the product.</p>