Thinking about medium format, need advice...120 not 160?

david_smith110

<p>I recently saw a brownie folding autographic camera and I was intrigued by its design. It got me thinking about shooting medium format and how easy it would be to carry this relatively compact camera on my motorcycle along with my 35mm slr. I did a little research and found a great site about brownies. The only thing that is throwing me off of getting one is the fact that you need to respool your 120 film onto the 160 spool. A little bit of a hassle that I dont want to deal with.</p>

<p>So my question is....are there any cameras of the same basic design as the brownie folding autographic that use the 120 spool? I really looking for roughly the same shape and design. A thin, rectangular camera that pops open to use. Cheap is good, say under $100. Doesnt have to be fancy, keep in mind I like the somewhat primative nature of the brownie.</p>

<p>Also, are there some other compact designs in medium format I might be missing? I thought I would ask here to get some ideas for which direction to take my internet search. I am a complete noob concerning medium format.</p>

<p>David, there are dozens if not hundreds of compact folging medium format 120 cameras. Some are capable of very good results but that is usually dependant on the lens. If I am on the bike and want a pocket size 120 camera with me I often take a Zeiss Nettar 515. It has a Nettar Anastigmat 75mm f4.5 lens that still look great at 16x20 inches. Cost 2 years ago=£15</p>

<p>Jim- Its those 'dozens if not hundreds' that are the reason for this post. Im kinda lost and am hoping that the knowledge of this forum and the personal experiences from the members herein can help narrow my search. For instance, that Zeiss Nettar is a good looking machine. Thanks for the point in that direction. :)</p>

<p>BTW, what do you ride?</p>

<p>I've used an Agfa Isolette I that was a pretty suitable little folding camera. What size image are you looking to make? The Isolette is 6x6. Another great option is the Voigtlander Bessa which usually produces a 6x9 image similar to your 35mm's 2x3. Zeiss makes good folders as well, but look up their model/numbering format if you're concerned about getting a certain aspect ratio. </p>

<p>David, If you can find a Daiichi Zenobia (645) with the Neo Hespar lens and a light tight bellows, these are a great shooter and are compact. About the size of an Ikonta 521 and the Neo Hespar lens rivals the Zeiss Tessar. Definitely in your price range.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that many of these old folders will need new light seals, and maybe some new bellows.<br /> New bellows could raise the total overall cost considerably.</p>

<p>Pacific Rim site has many articles concerning older/classic cameras. Some good info there, see (link).</p>

<p>http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/zeiss/ikonta/ikonta.htm</p>

<p>PS: It's not 160 film; more likely 620 film you are referring to re-spooling. The link, didn't link, so I added it.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for the suggestions! Im starting to get an idea about this whole thing now.</p>

<p>Ryan- What exactly do you mean about what size do I want? Im assuming you can take different size picture on the same 120 roll? I didnt know this. What are the different variations and is anyone better or more useful then another?</p>

<p>Marc- Your right, I meant 620. See...told you I was a noob.</p>

<p>Richard- Wow. That just about covers it. Thanks :)</p>

<p>I have had a couple Zeiss Ikonta folders now and I love them. I currently use the Super Ikonta B (533/16) which is a 6 x 6. Even though it weighs a whopping 1.5kg, it is actually a slim, easy to tote camera which I have put into several pockets! It is so stiff and rugged it feels like you could run over it with a truck and not be damaged. And holy smokes, does it take great pictures. But that's not the camera I want to suggest.</p>

<p>I'd suggest one of the Zeiss Ikon Nettars - which was my first folder. They usually are "range focused" - which means you set the lens to the estimated distance and shoot - no coupled rangefinder. They sell often for under $100 bucks. The lens is generally an f/4.5. But they too take great pictures believe it or not, and fold up very slim. They take standard 120 roll film - no fiddling around with re-spooling. They are easy to shoot. They also have an utterly simple film advance which amounts to you seeing a number come under a little window as you wind the knob. In the big daddy folders, like the Supers, there is a highly complex winding mechanism consisting of (I am told) dozens of parts. I know, I recently had to have mine repaired. Anyway, the Nettars are simply and GOOD and a lot of fun for getting your feet wet in medium format. Whatever you do - good luck and enjoy!</p>

<p>I mean what format do you want to shoot? 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x9? Yes these folders all take 120 film, but the image format they shoot does vary. For instance, the Isolette I shoots 6x6 square images only. The Bessa shoots 6x9 images unless you have a mask. </p>

<p>It's really about what you want to shoot! A lot of people love shooting square, others just don't like composing for square. Definitely a personal preference thing. </p>

<p>m stephens- well thats another vote for the Zeiss Nettar. Ive been researching these a little bit and they seem to be pretty spot on to what Im looking for. Thanks for letting me know. That Super Ikonta B is a pretty mean little machine to. Maybe a future upgrade when I get my feet wet and want to go a little deeper.</p>

<p>Ryan- thanks for the clarification info on the different sizes. I dont think I would have any problem with a square pic. That would actually be a nice break from 35mm.</p>