1938 Federal Enlarger Lens

andrew_becker1

<p>I recently ran across a 1938 model 120 Federal Enlarger which I can't seem to find more than the odd magazine advertisement about it costing $9.95. I was wondering if any of you knew anything about it and in particular if there are any new lenses that would fit the mount. The lens that came with it is an -Ilex-Federal Anastigmat F:6.3- Fedar No. 8650.</p>

<p>Andrew, welcome to photo.net. Measure the screw thread at the back of the lens. Most modern enlarger lenses, up to 100mm or so, have a 39mm Leica-type thread. </p>

<p>Your old lens probably has a different fitting. If it does, just look for a more recent enlarger. Good second-hand enlargers cost next to nothing these days, and in many cases are just given away.</p>

<p>My Federal has a 3.5" f/4.5 coated lens mounted with a lens flange on a small flat lens board. The hole in the existing lens board could be enlarged to accomodate the now standard 39mm mount lenses with a retaining ring. A new lensboard would be easy to improvise. If your lens threads directly into a fixed component, modifying the enlarger for modern lenses would reduce its value as a relic without greatly increasing its value as a print maker.</p>

It's a great little enlarger. It will do up to an 11x14 print. It will hold up to a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 neg in the glass holder, so is good for the old plate camera negs too, not many will hold this size. The metal lens board comes off with two screws. Make a 1/8 wood lens board and use a locking ring behind your lens. I have a f5.6/105mm Componon on mine and just leave it set up for the 6 1/2x9 film., but sometimes use it for anything from 35mm to 6x9 120 film. It's not quick to change lenses since you need to take out the two screws and change the jam nut for a 50mm or 80mm lens. So I just leave it set up for 6x9 and use my Beseler 45AF for the rest.

<p>Not sure why this was posted in the LF forum, since it's really an MF or darkroom question, but anyway...<br>

Andrew, you've missed out a vital piece of information. In order to replace that lens you need to know the focal-length of it. As guessed at above, it's probably a 4inch lens or thereabouts. However nearly all lenses postwar have been supplied in metric measurement, with the focal length displayed in millimetres. If you post the marked focal length of your "Fedar" lens, then we can better recommend a modern(ish) upgrade.</p>

Any lens can be used up to the 105mm or so. depending on the film format he is trying to print. There just isn't enough height to the column or the bellows to use anthing longer. The only real restriction is the physical size. The 39mm thread is about max and you don't get much room to work with that.I supose you could build an extention for the lens board to a larger size for physically larger lenses.

For 35mm film, you want a 50mm enlarging lens. Since you can only go to 11x14 any lens that is good to 10x should be great! The Federal lens is not! It's just like a camera, get the best glass you can afford; It makes no difference if it is on a $10 enlarger. It's the lens that matters!