How do you use iPad in your workflow?

<p>Now that they've been on the scene a while, I'd like to get some idea on how the device has changed your workflow, if at all?<br>

I have several big trips planned for this year and typically travel with a laptop. Aside from providing me a backup mechanism "on the road", I can start some of my lightroom processing before I get home. My laptop is pretty bulky though, and isn't always ideal.<br>

I have a few questions about what I could/couldnt do with an ipad. If you can help me out that'd be helpful:</p>

<p>* Can I shoot RAW and get those pix onto the iPad in the field for viewing? Or would I have to shoot JPG. I know I'd need the adapter for CF</p>

<p>* Do you use the iPad as a "backup device"? <br>

* Are there any good ways to pre-process (keyword/ flag/ pick/ rate) photos in the iPad then get them back to my MAC (lightroom) when I get back?</p>

<p>I guess, I'm just trying to understand how useful it MIGHT be int he field vs. my laptop. I'm also interested in hear how you all have adapted/ integrated it into your workflows.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Although I use Mac Pros (and PCs), the iPad simply doesn't cut it for me for archival purposes. It is likely great for showing slide shows to prospective clients, emails, specialized aps, etc. But as a storage device for downloading image files, it doesn't cut it when a week or ten days shooting on the road with a FF 21 meg camera will fill up several 32 gig cards. It's much easier (for me anyway) to carry a 3lb ThinkPad with a higher resolution 12" screen, , more power and storage capability, download daily, and sort it all out when I return home. And if I do decide to do some pre-processing/editing, I have full editions of Light Room and Photoshop on the Think Pad.</p>

Charles is right about the capacity problem. But if your volume is less, the iPad is a fine in-field backup device, and I

use mine that way. It can show the full-size preview embedded in NEFs, CR2s, and ORFs, which are the only 3 I've

tried. (May not handle the latest cameras... upgrade to iOS 4.3 if this is an issue for you.)

Don't know about keywording, ratings, etc. But a problem for software developers, of which I am one, is that there are

no APIs for accessing the raw file directly, so such an app can't be written without storing the metadata that was

modified in another file or database, and this presents an operational mess. Users would poorly rate such an app,

even though the developer might be doing the best job possible. A no-win game for the developer.

You might be better off with a laptop. Maybe the new Air if you have the funds for it.

By the way, my own WidePhotoViewer is the best way to show photos to clients on an iPad. Supports Flickr, SmugMug, Photo Library, Dropbox, and FTP. Selections can be saved and sent back via iTunes, FTP, or email. Print ordering, too.

<p>I agree with Marc.</p>

<p>The problem with the iPad is, it doesn't run any proper applications.</p>

<p>Now that Apple has finally addressed some of the shortcomings of the Macbook Air, I'd pick the 11" version over an iPad any time: in a package only slightly larger you get a real computer with a real keyboard that you can actually do work on in the applications you regularly use.</p>

<p><em>The problem with the iPad is, it doesn't run any proper applications.</em></p>

<p>Exactly. Even if it did, it's also pretty lame on the hardware front, too.</p>

<p><em>I guess, I'm just trying to understand how useful it MIGHT be int he field vs. my laptop.</em></p>

<p>Look cool and nifty to tethering your camera to it? The iPad is for consuming data, not producing data. OS Lion is (my prediction) the OS that will bridge Mac computers to Mac iThingies and you might have to wait until ipad3 to replace your laptop.</p>

<p>Thanks - Sounds like it would serve as a reasonable field backup/viewing device for RAW pix and shorter shoots. I have a laptop, so I'm not too keen on buying an MbA. Looks like I'd still have to wait until I got home to do any real work.</p>

<p>For data producers, I'm not sure of the purpose of the iPad for most of us? The iPhone and the MBP seem to cover all bases. But I do have a couple photographer friends with the iPads and they can never just leave home with only the iPad and so they pack the phone and laptop along. Just having a coffee with them is a production as $3K in Apple gadgets gets fumbled about on the cafe table.</p>

<p>I've got an iPhone 3GS and have been waiting for the iPad 2. Comments here confirm what I've thought about data display v. data creation.</p>

<p>I think the iPad screen (1024 x 768 at 132 p.p.i.) beautifully displays images. Certainly, I could see sizing my favorite images on a real computer and backloading them onto the iPad for viewing.</p>

<p>That said, I'd mainly like an iPad to sit on my coffee table at home. There's a swell Comcast/XFINITY app that will allow me to use the iPad as a big remote control for my DVR. Also, Klodike has a sweet solitaire game app for the iPad.</p>

<p>The idea of editing photos on an iPad doesn't appeal to me. Using such a small screen with no mouse or keyboard, and an abbreviated version of Photoshop is way too primative.</p>

>>> The problem with the iPad is, it doesn't run any proper applications.

And the "problem" with my Ford GT is that it doesn't let me take my family of five on road trips... I made that up, but you get the idea...

The iPad was not designed as nor intended to be a laptop replacement. It's a new device, addressing a

new computing market segment, for different purposes. In areas where laptops are a poor solution. And

doing so very successfully. Sales of the new iPad2 over the launch weekend are estimated to be between

500K and 1M units.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Brad - I totally agree with you. It AINT a laptop... Are there any purposes that may be "new" that I may not immediately think of?<br>

I like the idea of using it as a field backup unit for short trips. What other things I may not be thinking of is what i'm after...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Keith,</p>

<p>I have a MkI. It is a pretty cool toy/tool and I have found some uses I didn't expect. I have a reasonable list of photo orientated functions for it now, on top of the obvious storage, here is a bit of a list</p>

<ul>

<li>EyeFi, wireless sending of images direct from camera to iPad.</li>

<li>ShutterSnitch, the program that the images go into.</li>

<li>PS Express, the best little App for small touchups and uploading.</li>

<li>Clinometer, it is a super accurate level, I use it for tripods and setting lens tilt for T/S lenses.</li>

<li>Compass, pretty simple but helps for sun angles etc.</li>

<li>GPS+Navigon, it gets me there, and back.</li>

<li>Air Display, it makes the iPad a second screen for a laptop.</li>

<li>Audubon Guides, tells me what I am looking at, even cooler, for birds it plays their song!</li>

<li>Notes, no more lost pens and pencils</li>

<li>Strobox, lighting note recording app.</li>

<li>PDF's, I have all my equipment manuals with me all the time. Who can remember every custom function?</li>

<li>pUniverse, the coolest casual astronomy program ever invented.</li>

<li>flashlight, both white and red nightlight</li>

<li>Camera connection kit, (you can get some good unauthorised USB functionality through it, if you want).</li>

</ul>

<p>These are the Apps that help with photography, but there are loads more out there depending on your specific shooting.</p>

<p>On top of those things, the fact that I can keep up to date, email, play games, web search, review images at a good size, watch TV/movies/podcasts/tutorials, play my music etc etc. all adds up to a very capable package.</p>

<p>If manipulation and serious file handling are a priority then the iPad is not the tool, if a multifunction storage device that has as much customisation as anybody could wish for a beautiful screen and the ability to do so much more then it is unbeatable. Heck good storage devices with card readers and a tiny screen used to cost this much.<br>

I really like my MkI but see nothing in the MkII, to make me upgrade. Both can be very useful, if it fits into your style of working.</p>

<p>Sorry Scott, but for me, all that is available for the iPhone or the laptop and in almost all cases that you mention (except playing games) it's easier to use your phone.</p>

<p>The iPad is great for surfing on a larger screen but that's where it ends for me. It does does not provide any functions over the phone or laptop and just becomes a third device to carry. That doesn`t work for me as I have enough to worry about and carry. The few people I know with them no longer bring them out of the house and they now sit on the coffee table to read email between commercials. I'm not sure how anyone feels that's a new market but then again I thought hand held music devices went out with Sony Walkman's.</p>

<p>Hate to bring up the Windows thing, but by the end of the summer there will be a few Win7 tabs out that will support Photoshop or Lightroom and allow you to leave your laptop at home.</p>

<p>Garrison,</p>

<p>No apologies needed, I am not on commission and don't care if you find my use compelling enough. For me an iPhone/iPod is not an option, the screen is too small to be usable for almost everything I do on it, iPhones are not fully supported where I live and they are vastly overpriced when the contract is taken into account. I'd far rather have a $40 Nokia, that I don't care about when it gets wet, and an iPad and change, or the Nokia and an 11" MacBook Air and no change.</p>

<p>I don't carry a laptop and the iPad, I only travel with one or the other, my laptop is a 17" version though so the iPad is a huge weight and space saving over it. If I had a netbook or small laptop then I might think differently. My point was partially, that the iPad can do many things a laptop can't and it can do many many things a self powered backup device can't do.</p>

<p>I'd hate to bring up Windows too and certainly wouldn't be interested in a version 1 Windows driven PS enabled tablet! Besides, trying to do PS work or even serious LR work is not what the question is currently about, Keith keeps repeating the iPad is not a laptop, but it is considerably more than a self powered external storage device.</p>

<p>I didn't get one thinking it was going to be useful for my photography, it was given to me as a present, but I was wrong, on occasions it has meant I don't need a computer at all and it has added functionality I didn't have.</p>

<p>In this article <a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10055-10851">Rob Galbraith article describes</a> various ways to make an iPad work for his photography.<br /> He also points out two drawbacks: the screen can't be calibrated and – more severe – there is no RAW support(!), so you're limited to reviewing JPEGs – not too practical in my opinion.</p>

<p>I wonder whether any of that has changed in the new version.</p>

<p> If you want to calibrate the iPad there are several ways to do it, the easiest is to use Air Display, the iPad then shows up in your monitors section and can be calibrated. This will only work when used with the computer, but it means accurate calibrated colours can be viewed on the iPad. In the field when viewing jpegs calibration really isn't a priority.</p>

<p> With regards RAW files Rob Galbraiths article was talking about one program (ShutterSnitch) and that was only when you used a WiFi SD card to send images to your iPad. That was a limitation a long time ago with the MkI <strong> cards,</strong> not the program or the iPad, the Pro cards can all send RAW files and ShutterSnitch can receive and work with them. I have a Pro card and ShutterSnitch and can send RAW files to my iPad wirelessly and view them.</p>

<p>Photos, the native iPad image program has always been able to store and display RAW files. The iPad, even the earliest MkI running the earliest software, has always been able to store and display most types of RAW file.</p>

<p>At home I'm using my iPad constantly alongside my laptop. I find there are lots of ways that I can use my iPad that my laptop can't compete with.</p>

<p>One example is I use it as a notebook, a kind of think pad. This morning I came back from a week's travel abroad, and I used the iPad all the time for typing notes. I also had a notebook in my pocket, but preferred using the iPad - partly because with pen and paper I end up having to type it all up later, with the iPad I just make the notes once. I couldn't do this on a laptop, because getting it out and firing it up would take too long, and it's too bulky to carry all the time, I would just end up going back to pen and paper instead.</p>

<p>Another way I'm using the iPad for photography while travelling is via AirDisplay in conjunction with an Ultra Mobile PC. The UMPC is tiny and can fit in a side pocket of my camera bag - but it's problem has always been that it's 7" screen was very inadequate even for text and surfing, and totally impossible to edit pictures on. With Air Display, I use the iPad as an external monitor, and can edit pictures using the iPad using full Photoshop running on the UMPC. It's especially nice as it's ultra portable but is actually a two screen display, so I have the tools running on the UMPC and the image I'm working on displayed on the iPad. The two communicate wirelessly via a MiFi dongle I carry in my pocket. The UMPC just sits on the other side of the desk and works as a processor running Windows XP, with the iPad controlling it and displaying the photo/Photoshop. It works well.</p>

<p>Another nice thing about that is that I in effect have two computers running simultaneously, so that though the UMPC is slow at processing, I can do other tasks on the iPad, switching back at will between Photoshop, email, internet etc. without slowing the UMPC down.</p>

<p>UMPC + iPad is lighter than my laptop, and more adaptable.</p>

<p>I also use Powerpoint on it a lot to organise images and text into sequencies, see what works with what, work out what pictures I still need to take. It's much more user friendly to use like this than a laptop - it feels more like a pen and paper, and I can switch it on and off instantly at will as new ideas occur. I find it promotes sketching out ideas in a way a laptop doesn't.</p>

<p>I'm using the iPad in so many ways all the time, listing them all here would take too much space, but it has been incredibly useful.</p>

<p>What a stupid premise for a blog post. Nobody has ever suggested that the iPad is a "<em>serious RAW photo editing tool"</em>. Why in heavens name would you want to do full on edits on such a small screen? Why would you want to be able to seriously edit your images with no keyboard, no Wacom, no mouse etc. It is all very silly.</p>

And that's the point... When you're spoiled using LR, the gold standard for me, processing loads of files on a zippy desktop,

you're not going to want to use *any tablet* as a substitute.

Still, if you're in the field and want to do some editing, you can. People need to understand and get a grip on what tablets are, and being a desktop substitute they are not.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Garrison,</p>

<p>I did read it, my surprise was that anybody could even offer the thought of using one for that type of work as a serious suggestion. To think it was "horsepower" that the MkI lacked to enable serious RAW editing just shows a complete ignorance of the user interface and the current small touch screen interactivity.</p>

<p>Apple have placed some annoying limitations on the iPad (Microsoft are just as bad in other ways), but most of them can be worked around if you are inclined. I can use a wireless keyboard and trackpad, I can use a BlueTooth GPS with my WiFi only model, I can create documents and spreadsheets and print them etc etc. Two things I think would be major upgrades, and I was looking for to upgrade mine. Totally unencumbered Bluetooth, and a wider range of usable USB devices, preferably via a mini USB socket but if not through the Camera Connection Kit. By the way there are even workarounds for recognising additional flash sticks and moving files from the iPad to them, I haven't investigated them because I haven't needed the functionality.</p>

<p>It really depends on how you look at the iPad. If you look at it as an even smaller laptop then you are barking up the wrong tree. If you consider it a multi use gadget that can store your images whilst doing a myriad of other things, including keeping you amused, getting you there and back, keeping you informed etc etc then compared to other gadgets (iPod Touches, iPhones, self powered storage solutions etc) they offer pretty good value and outstanding functionality with an absolutely amazing screen.</p>