How do you use iPad in your workflow?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry,

No, that looks to be a bit too awkward, if it is even possible. I am still running 4.1.2. That was the last firmware that

seems straightforward, if I got a new one, or went for the firmware update, I probably wouldn't do the crack, I'd just go

the Rob Galbraith route.

<p>I use it as an eReader - I have a ton of books on it. But, with the exception of some Photoshop books, that has more to do with my computer nerd persona than with photography.</p>

<p>I sometimes use it for portfolio presentations when it's one-on-one, but I use my notebook with a projector or HDMI connection for group presentations. <br>

As an architectural photographer, I love the little app that shows the direction of the sun relative to my subject at any time of day. But I only use that for planning, not in the field.</p>

<p>I see that several people have mentioned the use of the iPad for image storage. I tried it, but my cameras all use Compact Flash cards, so there was a whole "strap on" deal involved with the USB card reader that I found annoying. My notebook lets me plug in CF cards directly and has a 640 Gig hard drive, so no worries about running out of space. (I shoot medium format digital -- the files are <strong>very</strong> large.)</p>

<p>I've played with some of the iPad image editing apps and, while they are mostly quite clever and easy enough to use, I have both Lightroom and Photoshop Elements on the notebook, both of which I know well and use often. This may just be a matter of old-dog-new-tricks but still...</p>

<p>If I had to choose between the iPad and the notebook, the notebook would win hands down, but the iPad has its uses. (I'm much too old to worry about being cool!)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For a D3, this needs the WT-4A transmitter, which is quite old, and I'm a bit loathe to pay some $800 or so for it. I would guess on the next gen D4 it's built in to the camera or there is a new transmitter at 1/10th this size. I assume there is no other way?</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Well after a messy weekend all the pieces of the puzzle are now available for the Eye-Fi and iPad to talk to each other without a network and without cracking the iPad.</p>

<p>I have downloaded it all, computer program, iPad program and the card update (all X2 cards can be used). It all works very well, though sometimes it is not intuitive. There is priority of wireless systems and the direct mode is the lowest order, basically it will try everything else first so the first image can take a while, but after that it seems fine.</p>