who should I use to process 4x5 b/w film?

durr3

<blockquote>

<p>I don't have anyone local who still processes LF film.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Since we have no clue where you might be, the term "local" is meaningless.</p>

<p>Would you care to give your location, or is that a state secret?</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Why does such a simple question generate so many snarky remarks? </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Because people find it easier to express themselves that way when the person they are responding to isn't standing right in front of them and therefore the responder doesn't have to be accountable for their anger?</p>

<p>Durr's profile lists his location as Ridgeland, Mississippi, USA, not far from Jackson, MS. <br /> That's about halfway between Memphis, TN, and New Orleans, LA.</p>

<p>Anyone out there in Durr's locale with some Southern Hospitality? I can't help, I'm a Damn Yankee.</p>

<p>The OP does bring up something I'm struggling with a bit. My closest known B&W lab is in Omaha, three drive by car and two days one way by mail. It takes a week to get stuff out and back. I'm starting to wonder, just hard can it be to process my own b&w? I always just shoot either HP5 or Efke 25.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>It isn't anger as such, more like frustration. if you had added "to me in xxx,yy" right after the word "local" in your second post, everyone would know where you are and could have given a better answer. This is a pretty common problem on all internet forums, many posters seem to assume their location is known when they ask a similar question, when in fact their location is unknown and not readily available even if someone tries to find out.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It is very easy and cheap (after intial equipment cost) to dev black and white film yourself. If you dont know how, google it then buy a book. If you run into problems most people here will be happy to help.</p>

<p>Jim. England. You know, the Queen (God bless her) and all that.</p>

<p>I develop my b&w 4x5 sheet film on my kitchen counter with a Jobo drum and a cheap roller base. Always get great results. I do 8x10 b&w as well with old color print processing drums on the roller base. Let me know if you need more details.</p>

<p>Wow<br>

I don't beleive that he asked for a local lab in his original post<br>

Everyone assumes that he wants local - he obviously knows he will be sending it out - so the international aspect does not matter as one could send their film anywhere they well choose to do so<br>

State secret comment - snarky for sure<br>

Henry Posner & Tim Ludwig suggested labs to use - good references that I might even use someday - Tony was helpful as well as a few others<br>

Some suggested doing his own - Good advice but he wants to send it out<br>

He can simply ship his negs for development anywhere in the world - why does it matter where he's located? His original post asks` - "who to send 4x5 film to to develop for me"<br>

Relax everyone & either be helpful or ignore it so you don't have to jump through hoops</p>

<p>There's a few problems associated with shipping unprocessed negatives.<br>

1. They may get lost, damaged or roughly handled.<br>

2. They may be hit with high level scanning that could cause fogging.<br>

3. You're really gonna trust a perfect stranger with your prized negatives?<br>

4. How can you be sure the guy processing them has any idea of what he's doing?<br>

Surely a major part of film photography lies in the darkroom? <br>

It ain't rocket science.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So many inane comments. Rocket science? Boiling Eggs, making coffee, drinking scotch? State Secrets? Game of twenty questions? IQ? Some people really need to pump up their fragile little egos at every opportunity. Is that why you guys reply to forum questions, to stroke your egos by putting someone else down with non sequiturs. Such hostility and misplaced anger.<br /><br />If someone asks for places to get film developed, why do you come back saying that they're stupid for not doing it themselves? </p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's absolutely no anger in my comments Blake. It just seems plain daft to send film anywhere. It's not a case of putting anyone down either. Send the negs to me and I'll develop them.. it will boost my fragile ego. LOL<br>

To mention developing ones own negs is merely advice and nothing else.</p>