Vintage Leica rangefinder camera

<p>I just purchased a vintage Leica III (black) rangefinder camera at an estate sale. It appears to be the real Mccoy except that the serial number on this camera cannot be found in my McKeown's antique and classic camera book. This book lists all the serial numbers from Leica cameras from 1923 to 1971. The camera has the roller sensor tip on the RF sensor and it has the VF bezel on the front of the view finder so I am convinced that it is not a fake but the serial number has me a bit baffled. Does any one out there have any explanation for this? <br>

Thanks<br>

John</p>

<p>David and Craig<br>

Thanks for your input on my question. After re searching my McKeown's classic camera book I did locate the serial number for this camera. I had overlooked it the first time I perused the serial numbers. The camera is a Model III as I suspected and was made in 1934. Thanks again for your response to my inquiry.<br>

John</p>

<p>Care to share with us the price you paid? I am looking for a Leica too but refuse to spend the high prices that they sell for on the auction site. I'd consider spending $100-150 on a pre-war Leica with Elmar lens, but not twice that amount as seen on ebay, especially considering most cameras that age would need servicing, and possibly new shutter curtains.</p>

<p><em>Care to share with us the price you paid? I am looking for a Leica too but refuse to spend the high prices that they sell for on the auction site. I'd consider spending $100-150 on a pre-war Leica with Elmar lens, but not twice that amount as seen on ebay, especially considering most cameras that age would need servicing, and possibly new shutter curtains</em>.</p>

<p>Dave, I have 7 Leica's, 4 screwmounts and 3 M series. I doubt if you could get an Elmar 50mm f/3.5 lens by itself for less than $200 if it was in decent condition. Film camera prices have dropped like a brick, but Leica lives in its own little universe. My very first Leica, a beautiful IIIc, 401,xxx, which I bought in 2003 from B&H cost $400. A CLA from the best in the business would run #300.</p>

<p>Thanks for all who responded to my inquiry. I am trying to upload a photo of the camera in question to show it but I am new to the thread and am having difficulty doing it. As far as how much I paid for it. Too much I'm sure. I was bidding against a lot of other people at an estate auction and you know how that goes. UP, UP, UP. But hey I got it and it's a nice camera. As for the folks who are wishing to get one for 100-150 dollars. I wish you luck. It probably ain't going to happen. <br>

John</p><div>00YIfP-335857584.jpg.d206eb32d67d4eadcda881004ec05dfc.jpg</div>

<p>"As for the folks who are wishing to get one for 100-150 dollars. I wish you luck. It probably ain't going to happen."</p>

<p>I bought my first Leica 2 years ago from KEh. A bgn IIIf and Elmar 50 3.5 set me back about 500 dollars. Last year I was astonished to see a III with a Sumar at Adorama for 300 dollars, which I, of course, bought without question. The Sumar, although front element scratched and with some chipping, was unfogged. Both are 1935 units. Definitely, a user and I use it a lot. I think it will go into the casket with me...</p>

<p>Thanks Kayam. I had a nice IIIC a few years ago and I think I still remember how to load a roll of film in these babies. That was a real learning experience let me tell you. That was a nice IIIC. I had three nice lenses with it. A 35, 50 and 125 and every lens was crystal clear. I sold the complete outfit because I wasn't using it as much as I should have. I hate to see a beautiful camera just sit on a shelf in a cabinet. But I will load this black beauty up and see what happens. <br>

John </p>

<p>John, and all: one more thought on the serial number question, though it's answered in this case, anomalies do arise. I don't know where the SN is on the III but if Leica ever repaired the unit, put on a new bottom plate or new top plate or body shell, it would not have the original markings. This occurs from time to time on the Leica market. Usually the seller already knows and the information is part of the sale.</p>