Would you give me some recommendations?

c_k17

<p>I want to get a lighting kit so I can start taking photos inside but I don't know what to get. Should I get the one with the umbrellas or softboxes? How many watts will create an acceptable amount of light, I think most importantly what type of light is right? I want to be able to also create the green screen effect, I would say that the most important questions are how much and or how many lights are enough?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I want to get a lighting kit so I can start taking photos inside</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Of what?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but I don't know what to get... what type of light is right?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Get a book or two on lighting so that <em>you</em> have an idea of what you want. Otherwise, everyone here will be happy to spend your money.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>create the green screen effect</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lighting a green screen can be tricky. In general, you need at least two lights JUST for the green screen. And then whatever else you need for your subject(s).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>how much and or how many lights are enough?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Conventional wisdom says to start with one and learn how to use it. You can actually accomplish a lot with one-light and <em>knowledge.</em> Without knowledge, all the lighting in the world isn't going to help you. I might suggest looking at Paul Bluff's Einstein lighting units. Probably one of the best values out there. In terms of learning lighting, more often than not the book "Light, the Science and Magic" is said to be a standard. But it is NOT a how to book. For that you might want to look into something from Amherst Media. Kelbytraining.com is an good resource as well. Often, the first few tutorials on a subject might be free:</p>

<p>http://www.kelbytraining.com/player/index.html#tab\instructors/instructor\jack-reznicki/course\273/lesson\3915</p>

<p>http://www.kelbytraining.com/player/index.html#tab\instructors/instructor\james-schmelzer/course\184/lesson\2608</p>

<p> </p>

For indoors, bouncing flash off a reflector has better results than forward facing flash. You'd need a tilting or swivelling

head flash for this.

Lights behind the subject produces a sillouette effect, which is sometimes pretty impressive.

You may be looking to set up lights to the both sides of the subject to enhance the subjects features.

You want to avoid RedEye by not using a flash to close to your camera lens.

Two or three floodlights could be of value for portraits depending on the mood you're trying to convey, used with reflectors.

Depending on the size of your studio you may want to minimalize the equipment.

Positioning of light and contrasting shadows is more impotant than how much lighting, again it's the mood that you're

looking to bring to the picture that dictates the perimeters and equipment.

On a personal note, I prefer working with available or natural lighting when possible.

<p>You might be better off posting your question in the lighting forum, but in short, it sounds like you need to learn a bit more before jumping in. It also depends on what you plan to shoot--portraits? Products? One person headshots, or families? An "acceptable amount of light" depends on what you want to shoot, how large the room is you're shooting in, what kind of effects you want to achieve...the list goes on and on.<br>

Before I bought my studio gear, I educated myself for a good long time so that I understood up front how much lighting, and what kind of accessories, I'd need to achieve my goals. I would highly recommend starting with one light with an umbrella or softbox (depending on the look you want), along with a reflector. Learn how that works and practice with it as you learn. Then add to your gear once you start to understand more of the technical stuff like lighting ratios, etc. There are some good books out there, as well as some good online classes. Kevin Focht has a new class at <a href="http://www.ppsop.com">www.ppsop.com</a> on lighting. He teaches the class via video, so you'll get to see him at work. You need two lights for this class, however, and some family or friends to use as subjects for the lessons. I've taken classes at PPSOP and really learned a ton of stuff. Here's the link to the class itself: <a href="http://www.ppsop.com/vide.aspx">http://www.ppsop.com/vide.aspx</a></p>

<p>For refrence, I use two (Paul Buff) <strong>White Lightning X800 </strong>strobes with softboxes. (umbrellas can be used also) Add a reflector to that combo and you can do a lot of lighting techniques with them.</p>

<p>A lot of people suggest starting with only one light. I would suggest, for portrait photography, to start with two. Adding a reflector will in essence give you a third light source. But you'll probably want/need that second strobe light to help seperate your subject from the background by adding in a backlight or using it as a hair light in some cases.</p>

<p>Bottom line though, is you have to really learn how to use them. I'm still studying about different lighting techniques now to try and improve my images. Another good book that I just picked up is: <em>Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers </em>by Christopher Grey.</p>