My Hasselblad 503cx

jaydesi

<p>I know it's nothing special to most folks in this forum, but it's my first foray into serious MF cameras and I'm pretty excited about it. I have a couple folders and brownies, but they're not really the same. I got this from KEH.</p>

<p>The hardest part I have is figuring out accessories, like filters, etc, since it seems these vary from the standard sizes.</p><div>00YHNl-335075684.JPG.30ffd794da37a3e9d6cdca2c64cc986f.JPG</div>

<p>Hi Jay,</p>

<p>Congratulations! Nice camera.</p>

<p>Almost all of the modern lenses (CF and siblings) use bayonet-mount filters in the "Bay 60" size. These are unique to Hasselblad I think, although Zeiss lenses for other cameras may use the same.</p>

<p>KEH should have a good stock of them, and you'll find them on the 'bay.</p>

<p>The 40mm wide-angle lens uses a threaded 93mm filter.</p>

<p>The earlier C lenses used a slightly smaller "Bay 50" filter.</p>

<p>Good shooting. Hope you like the Hasselblad family as much as I do.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Congrats! I got a 'blad kit a couple years ago, and it is a fantastic piece of engineering. I really admire the fact that it is purely mechanically driven, no need for a battery, so if you're out on a sunny day, you can just use the "sunny 16" rule, your trusty 'blad, and shoot away!</p>

<p>One thing I got for mine is a step down filter from Bay 60 - 58mm... that lets me use the same filters as some of my Canon lenses. I think they make other ones to step up as well, so if you have some filters already, it'll be easy to use them with an adapter.</p>

Yes, sensors are not full frame. But what of it? It's an 'empty' observation.<br>Most DSLR-sensors aren't full frame either. And in any case, MF, not-full-frame, digital still delivers better quality than 35 mm based DSLRs can.<br>So if you want to shoot digital and have the means to make that MF digital, leave the 35 mm based DSRLs for people who value convenience more than quality. ;-)

<p>The sensor in the CFV-39 is 49.1mm wide, which is < 10% narrower than the image on film. Hardly of significance.</p>

<p>Given that there are 7,212 pixels in that 49mm, and 39 Megapixels in the image, I certainly don't think any DSLR is in the same category.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Leigh, I was referring specifically to the older digital backs...I don't have $14,000 to spend on a CFV-39, but I agree with you completely that any DSLR is not in the same category. I suspect even the oldest digital backs are out of my price range (Phase One Lightphase 6MP, $999, after a quick search on the auction site).</p>

<p>I bought this 503cx with the intention of shooting 120 film with a higher quality camera than the folders I already had. I already have a fair 35mm film system, and I have digital covered by my DSLR. So while it's nice to know that, should my finances permit, I could hook up a digital back, it wasn't an issue that I considered when purchasing.</p>

<p>Hi Jay,</p>

<p>I wasn't being critical. I just wanted to address the issue of the sensor being "undersize" relative to the film image.</p>

<p>I shoot both color and B&W. The CVF-39 does a wonderful job on color, but I still use film for my B&W work, which accounts for probablt 80% of my shots.</p>

<p>I've been shooting Hasselblad since 1970, long before digital backs were even a glimmer in some engineer's eye. ;-)</p>

<p>Good shooting. Hope you enjoy the system as much as I do.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>