wedding formals-large group lighting

brittany_r._dunks

<p>Yes, I have searched this forum for this topic. However, I couldn't find anything recent (with current product options) that applied.<br>

I shoot weddings and baby/family portraits (1-4 people usually). I have 3 Canon Speedlites (580, 580 II and 550) and Pocketwizards and I am trying to decide if I want to buy softboxes and/or umbrellas.<br>

I see the benefits and drawbacks of both, and I think I am leaning towards a collapsable/umbrella-like softbox, maybe a 24 or 28 inch? For my portrait work, I know this size will be fine, but I am wondering if it will be effective for wedding formals?<br>

Of course, setup time is an issue w/weddings, but it seems like these will set up easily. I just don't know if ONE softbox and one on camera, bounced flash will be enough? If I have to light 10-20 people on an alter, would direct flash be better? or two softboxes, or one/two umbrellas.... lalala.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For 20 people you need a lot of light spread. I think you could use all three flashes with either reflective umbrellas or shoot through umbrellas. You would lose a lot of light with soft boxes. Shoot through umbrellas would probably give you better lighting for a large group. Umbrellas are cheaper, the light stands will be the same cost in either case.</p>

<p>I recently shot a group of about 45 people(3 rows deep) with a single 580EX II with no problems. Luckilly the walls and ceiling where all white, so the light had no problems bouncing off them. I used Direct flash since I had no umbrella handy, and still had to boost the FEC to 1 1/3+.<br>

The flash and camera were set to Manual/ETTL(1/60 f8.0), the ISO was 250 although there was plenty of ambient light in the room. There were no signs of harsh shadows(on faces/walls) and the light was surprisingly even from front to back.<br>

In a church you would probably be better off with one of the big handle mount flashes(potato mashers) IMHO, but the 580EX seemed to handle things pretty well in my situation. Maybe you can try using your flash in Manual mode if you want to use an umbrella ? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>If I have to light 10-20 people on an alter, would direct flash be better? or two softboxes, or one/two umbrellas.... lalala.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The trick with groups is to make sure you don't get crossed shadows and the way to avoid them is to use <strong>one </strong>light source. A 60" white umbrella should easily handle a group of this size. A Lastolite Triflash Bracket or Interfit INT337 Strobies Triple Flash Bracket would let you use two or three of your Canon speedlights in one umbrella.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>1. A 24-28" umbrella is too small for altar groups at weddings. I use a 60" umbrella, when I use an umbrella, and even that isn't all that big.</p>

<p>2. Umbrellas set up quickly. Softboxes, unless they are built around the umbrella concept, don't. If you get softboxes, get the umbrella construction based ones.</p>

<p>3. One large umbrella, along with on camera flash, is fine. The on camera flash can be bare headed direct flash, if it is fill. The main light determines the overall quality of the light.</p>

<p>4. For lighting 10-20 people on the altar, direct flash is not better. If you have lots of instances, within the group, where someone's shadow is over others' faces, then you may want to use frontal flash (which does not necessarily mean direct). Of course, you can arrange people so shadows are not issues.</p>

<p>5. I almost always use one key light about 15 degrees to my right (bride always gets the good light), and on camera fill. My set up is very fast--about 2 minutes.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input. Formals are my least favorite photos, both technically and aesthetically, but I want them to be better! I was thinking I could get away with buying one item, for both weddings and portraits, either a softbox or umbrella, but that doesn't seem to be the case. <br>

I may try the on-camera flash and one speedlight/umbrella set up. I didn't have pocket wizards last year so I am excited to at least have the ability to shoot OCF.</p>

<p>thanks1</p>

<p>I use reflective with and without a diffusing front cover. However, I have the black backing on the umbrella. I find if you use shoot through with only one umbrella as key, the curved surface of the umbrella makes the light fall off too fast. I like to feathre the light across the front of the group. You also lose more light with shoot through, unless you have a backing cover for it as well. In large churches, the backward light giving added fill is also negated.</p>

<p>However, for using two umbrellas, one on each side or clumped together around the camera and pointed outward, shoot through would make sense--again, because of the curve of the umbrella.</p>