Having "Challenges" with New Metz Mecablitz 76 MZ-5

blanston

<p>I just Googled around for some threads that might help, but couldn't find what I was after. Apologies if this is somehow redundant.</p>

<p>I am running a new Metz 76 MZ-5 unit on my D7000, and I am getting consistently blown-out shots using TTL. It doesn't appear as if the SCA 343 dedicated module is enabling communications with the camera at all (no indicators in the camera's control panel, as are usually seen when my SB900 is attached.</p>

<p>It could be a faulty dedicated module, but I am poking around to see if it is user error. I RTFM, cover to cover in fact, and wasn't able to determine a way ahead.</p>

<p>It appears that my settings on flash and camera are proper. I just called the support number at Bogen, and their man is out for a week. I will call him when he returns on Monday if I can't figure it out before then. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Harry, good eye, thank you. That explains it. The SCA 343 is for "Nikon TTL Cameras", but when I did a little more digging into a model compatibility list, it specified a bunch of older film cameras. I'm ordering the 3402 tonight. Cheers!</p>

<p>I have to mention that Metz doesn't build the potato-mashers like they used to. I purchased this with the memory of the old, durable, well-made, press-style flashes Metz used to make. It works, but it lacks that intangible fit-and-finish factor. Build quality is just OK.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Robert you are right. Compared to my (2) 45 CT 4's the 76 does not match up when it comes to ruggedness. I practically beat these 2 up and they are still ticking. With the 76 MZ I'm very nervous that might bumb into some thing, or someone during a shoot and something might fall off.<br>

For example, just today I decided to pull my 6 month old 76 MZ out of its original box that was sitting in the closet. Somehow the cable that plugs the Contol Unit to the Flash-head was bent. I manged to bend it back and everything is working fine, but it doesn't look right . Especiallly after spending 900 bucks. I called Bogen to find out if I could replace the cable, but as usual they are out-to-lunch.</p>

<p>Hi Harry: Good grief. </p>

<p>I am probably too nice to my gear, and even then I don't like delicate equipment. It's just another thing to think about--a distraction.</p>

<p>As regards the Bogen "support", I have not gotten the opportunity to use them yet, but I'm sure I will. When I called Bogen to ask my dumb question, I came away with them impression, fair or not, that the operation was just a little amateurish. (Example: One subject matter expert, and when he's out, you're out. Of luck, that is.)</p>

<p>In stark contrast, I had an issue with one of my several Quantums and was able in minutes to speak to a real person who knew what she was talking about.</p>

<p><end rant></p>