The Konica IIF

tomscott

<p>I recently purchased this Konica IIF and another Konica Auto S2 from another Pnet member. Thanks again Andy. Both were in excellent condition, although IMO the Konica II is nearly perfect. Other than the missing lens cap, there is not a scratch on it that I can see. There does not seem to be a lot of info out there on these cameras but Camerapedia has some info and Mike Butkus has a manual for the original Konica II on his site. Close enough. If anyone knows anything more about them, I would love to hear about it. The only difference mentioned between the II and the IIF was the fact that the IIF has the Konirapid MFX shutter instead of the Konirapid S found on the original Konica II.<br>

"The <strong>Konica IIF</strong> (February 1956) has a 50mm f/2.8 Hexanon lens and a Konirapid-MFX shutter. Rather few of these were made."<br>

Here is the link if anyone is interested: <a href="http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Konica_(I),_II_and_III">http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Konica_(I),_II_and_III</a><br>

At any rate, I finally got out and shot a test roll through it this past week and here are some shots I took at Watson Mill Bridge State Park near Comer Ga. This is the longest covered bridge in the state at 229ft and crosses the South Fork River. I used the Contax 139Q for metering as I needed to put a test roll thru it as well. More on that later.<br>

All of these are un-cropped and un-manipulated other than resizing.<br>

Here is the Camera:</p><div>00YG9S-334389584.jpg.8c10b8d46e9ea9d5e7d6e2efa36fd521.jpg</div>

<p>Looks like your Konica is in good shape!</p>

<p>I don't know if your IIF takes the same size filters as <a href="00YB9g">my III</a>, but mine takes 35.5mm filters. So far I've only shot B&W with it, so I've just used contrast filters. I haven't bought a polarizer for it, and probably won't, since not being able to see through the lens is kind of a disadvantage with a polarizer (or a GND).</p>

<p>Nice photos Tom, I specifically like the first one of the covered bridge and I am yet to see one of those. Also, #5 seems to have good depth and looks impressive. Thanks for sharing with us, and would like to see more photos snapped by this lovely Konica when your time permits.</p>

<p>Good point about using a polarizer and not being able to see through the lens, would it matter with a linear polarizer? I'm not sure what size threaded filter it would take or if it is even threaded for sure but a Series VI slip on adapter in 31.5mm fits the outside of the lens. If the lens is threaded it would be somewhere in the area of 24mm. I have several sets of series VI filters but, naturally forgot to take them along.</p>

<p>Thanks Ralf, next time I will shoot some B&W. I just use the Fuji Color for a test roll because I have plenty of it in 12 exposure rolls.</p>

<p>Thanks Rick and Kayam. These are scans from CVS pharmacy Rick, I moved recently and haven't got my scanner unpacked yet. I hate moving, I will be unpacking for years it seems. As for making adjustments, I really don't know what I am doing in that department, I always feel like they look worse than when I started. I generally just use the auto adjust colors feature or sometimes the contrast or gamma correction if anything.</p>

<p>Beautiful camera, Tom. Great color pictures. There were so many places where I could develop my Fujicolor films in town. Not one left so I just shoot B&W these days.<br>

Congrats on your purchase! I say that because until last week I never owned a Konica and had no idea how good they are. I will tell the story of my Konica Auto S2 in a separate post. Cheers for now</p>

<p>Thanks Mihai, the Auto S2 is an easy camera to love. The Konica II is a little fiddly in comparison, knob wind, shutter has to be cocked seperately, the aperture has a funny little lever type thing on the lens that you basically set with your thumbnail and the rewind button has to be held down the entire time it is being rewound but, then again, what do you want from a 55 year old camera?</p>

<p><strong>Tom</strong>, its basically just had the levels adjusted in Photoshop, and the colour saturation slightly increased. I find these minor adjustments are usually necessary with low-grade scans, and there are plenty of programs simpler than 'Shop that will manage this. Please feel free to email me if you feel that I can be of any help.</p>