Source for Reasonably Priced New Mamiya RZ67 Professional Pro II D Body

andre_noble5

<p>Hello,<br /> B&H is asking $2300 for one of these bodies. I don't see them up on EBay. KEH has none. Lenses are a different story (they are available new on the cheap on Ebay and KEH) , but cheap new RZ Pro II bodies impossible to find.</p>

<p>Anyone know a source?</p>

<p>I ain't paying $2300US for one of these, and yes I prefer new.</p>

<p>Prefer solid leads, if you have a source - not a wild goose chase - thanks.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance</p>

<p>First off, clarify-- do you want a Pro II or a Pro IID? AFAIK, the only reason to want a Pro IID is to use it with the proprietary Mamiya digital back, in which case the cost of the camera body is a secondary consideration. (And if I were using that back, I'd choose a different camera platform.)</p>

<p>If you want a film camera, there are probably some new-old-stock Pro II bodies out there, because it was only discontinued recently. (But I don't know where!) Certainly you should be able to find a second-hand RZ Pro II in excellent condition-- how fixated are you on 'new'? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I ain't paying $2300US for one of these, and yes I prefer new.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Calumet has the IID new for $2200, I think; adorama and B&H both sell it for $2300. I doubt you'll do any better pricewise than those places if you're buying in the US.</p>

<p>Beyond that, I'd echo everything that Dave said. If you're not willing to pay what something costs new you may have to rethink your preference for not buying used. Lightly used Pro II bodies are a tremendous bargain right now, selling for $400-500 on eBay.</p>

<p>What are you really trying to do with it? If this is for shooting film, just get an EX+ or LN- RZ67 or RZ67II from Keh and put any extra money you save into lenses. I wouldn't buy a new D unless you need it for compatibility with some digital back.</p>

<p>Buy an old mechanical RB dirt cheap now that you can trash with a minimum loss. If down the line you still want that digital version, you can take a second mortge on your house n get it then. Technology is changing so fast in digital I'd rtather not invest for the future of electronics based on it staying the same. You may be shelling out alot of money now to find it obsolete in as little as 5 years.</p>

<p> </p>

The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>Being realistic, the most you could lose by buying an RZ body used now and having to sell it leter because it's not compatible with a digital back is one or two hundred dollars. The most you can lose by buying a new RZIID now and later finding out it's not compatible with the digital back you really want is one or two thousand. (Who's to say an RZII is going to be compatible with a 2015 model digital back?) And since the backs cost in the tens of thousands, the few hundred a used RZ costs is not going to seem like a big deal.</p>

<p>I wouldn't buy a new IID now without very specific plans to buy a digital back for it in the short term. I'd buy an inexpensive used body/finder/back set and put the real effort into lenses.</p>

<p>Prices for the RZ IID bodies might well have swung upwards recently, since Mamiya in the US (MAC) coupled it with a Leaf digital back and re-branded it as the "RZ33".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Who's to say an RZII is going to be compatible with a 2015 model digital back?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The RZ IID has the serial digital interface to communicate directly with digital backs in Mamiya/PhaseOne 645AFD fitting. This is PhaseOne's priority fitting since they took over Mamiya, although they also make their backs in Hasselblad V, Hasselblad H, and Contax 645 fittings. PhaseOne now own Leaf, another digital back giant, as well. Since Hasselblad closed their H system to other makers of digital backs with the H3 body onwards, development in the detachable-back market is now dominated by two companies (PhaseOne-Leaf-Mamiya, and Hasselblad-Imacon) and two back fittings (Mamiya 645AFD and Hasselblad H). Apparently PhaseOne are already the biggest sellers, and one would only expect that to increase with their eagerly received new IQ backs. So I would not worry that in 2015 there will be any problem obtaining a new back for an RZ IID.</p>

<p>[Just to complete the roundup, smaller market players, like back makers Sinar and camera makers Rollei/DWH, are also still around, supporting these and other fittings like the Hy6/AFi. Meanwhile, the non-detachable-back market, which kicked off inauspiciously with the premature Mamiya ZD (let down by a noisy sensor and possibly poor firmware as well), is now thriving with the Leica S2 and Pentax 645D.]</p>

<p>Your other option is for an older, cheaper RZ body which will work fine with Hasselblad V fitting digital backs, albeit requiring cables and being less integrated than the IID + 645AFD-back option. On the other hand, not everything is better with the IID + 645AFD-back option...have you seen this page? It's a great clarification of digital options (PhaseOne's anyway) with the RZ: http://www.phaseone.com/en/search/article.aspx?articleid=1123&languageid=1<br>

AFAIK, Leaf backs may be better suited to the RZ than PhaseOne backs, insofar as they don't need that "wake up signal" before taking a shot.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>KEH was mentioned in this thread. I recommend avoiding them--I got a Mamiya 7 body from them recently graded "EX", and it had a crack at the battery cover. A friend got some rubbish equipment from them recently as well. </p>

<p>Take your chances on Fleabay--I have had better luck there than with KEH. I don't see the value.</p>

<p>I used to feel the same way about KEH, until I built an entire BRAND NEW Mamiya RB and half of an RZ system from their LN and NEW system for pennies on the dollar. Mamiya America Corp sold KEH a huge batch of brand new RB and RZ gear, of which there is still some in stock.<br>

But I have bought an RB motor back that I returned to them.<br>

On the other hand, yesterday I received an "EX+" 6x8 motorized RB back that was used less than six times - mint!<br>

You have to be smart with them. If you dont like the stuff, send it back and make a fuss.</p>