Leica M5

cody_moore1

<p>The Domke straps work very well. Straps with metal rings, such as the one suggested above, are not a good match for the M5. M5 lugs are designed for a strap with narrow flat-woven ends. Rings would slide around on the M5 lugs.</p>

<p>I saw somewhere that an M5 user had a custom strap made by a saddler. The original strap, which I used a few times in the early 70s when I was at school, was not attached at all to the lugs but designed to slide through the two lugs (it wouldn't work if you used the third lug put on later). The beauty of the original conception is that the camera hangs rather than swings at your side, on the left, with a good shoulder pad stopping slippage, and with the strap sliding through the lugs as you bring the camera up to take a shot. Unfortunately, with the strap ends attached to the lugs, like with the Artisan and Artist M5 strap I am using, it is necessary to remove the strap from the shoulder to get the freedom to lift the camera.</p>

The Domke gripper strap (without swivels, though this is just my preference) or the Opt/Tech EZ strap will do. You can remove the rings off the Domke. The Op/Tech does not have any. If your M5 is a two- or three-lug, these are the most adequate ones.

At least, IMHO. Did you get a black or a silver one? Just wondering...

<p> I don't like straps while making images but certainly couldn't live without one the rest of the time. The ease of the attach/detach mechanism as well as protection of the camera body are of primary importance. Also important are the shoulder grip/slip cooeficient and how nicely it stows in the camera bag. Loud advertising is an absolute disqualifier. All this being said, the classic nylon rubber Leica strap is my favorite. It has the best ratio of positives to negatives.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the replies. Right now I am trying to track down a strap for the camera so I will be less worried about the possibility of dropping it while bringing it on a trip I have planned next month.</p>

<p>Francisco, it is a silver 2 lug. Right now the lenses I have for it are a 135mm Hektor, 35mm F/3.5 Summaron and my old 50mm Summar.</p>

<p>Hello,<br /> I always use these old snake metal straps. They coil up neatly in the bag, they take up no room. A bit cold on the neck in the winter, that they are, and they snap at your neck hair. I wrap some duct tape around the ends, so they won't hurt the camera body. The leather straps are too stiff. And the rubberized ones tend to gum up, and become sticky. Glad you got your M5, Cody. And again, what do all these people have against M5s!? Great looking cameras, no?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Cody,<br>

Domke makes these very practical satchel-like bags (F-5XC if memory serves), which don't at all look like a photo bag. It's much narrower than your average camera bag, and actually looks like the satchel you put your lunch in. It open from the top, but there's also a zipper on the lower side of the front. What I did, I used the separation that comes with the bag to separate the top half from the bottom of the bag. The 3 Leica's go in the top half, and the rest goes in the bottom. Neat.There's a guy who explains it all on YouTube: <a href="

What I did do is cut off the huge Domke label that sits diagonally accross the lower side of the flap, which is like a public statement "Hey Guys, look, I'm a camera bag, there's all sorts of valuable stuff inside !!!"<br>

I'm sure there's oodles of other stuff out there.</p>

<p>Cheers<br>

André</p>

<p>Cody, Congrat's on your M5 and good luck with it! Afraid I'm still in the dreaming stage, but hope to own one someday. I am a serious film photographer though, and own three Domke bags. (I'd second the recommendation for their strap too, but would specify the 1.5" width over the 1", for more comfort.)</p>

<p>Satchels seem nice, I guess it just depends on one's preferences/needs, but when I want to travel light, I reach for the Domke 5-XB, as it is quite compact. With my SLR's, I'll usually have the camera with a lens attached in the big compartment, with another lens in the remaining opening. There's a nice pocket in the front for film, etc. It also has a built-in belt loop if you desire to carry it that way. I think with Leica M, you could probably configure it differently, and carry more gear if you want to. I really like all of my various Domke's! (The F-6 is another that might be appropriate for you...) I'd get the cotton canvas material, as it is durable, great looking, and I've heard it said that they "age like a favorite pair of jeans". My oldest is about 8 years young; with moderate usage, it shows almost no wear. And they're made in a relatively progressive Western democracy, the U.S., which is refreshing, at least to me; kinda like to support that sort of thing... </p>

<p>I think that they've introduced some new models recently, but the 5-XB seems to remain popular. You might want to check them out here at the link below, but also, check prices at Adorarma and B&H, as they may be better. There are many reviews on the big retailer sites, too.<br /> http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_type_no=430&tablename=domke</p>

<p>Nice looking specimen Cody! I can easily envision that M5 bringing you a lifetime of pleasure. For someone with the right kind of photographic interests, I think of it as a camera that one can grow with, and never look back. I had a Yashica Electro 35, which whetted my appetite for rangefinder photography, and although the lens is superb, I'd like better build quality, and perhaps, lens interchangeability. And even though I still use and like my slr's, I could easily see being perfectly happy (more so, really) with a rangefinder, and perhaps no more than 2-3 lenses. And I think that from all I've read, the M5 would probably be my first choice, also.</p>

<p>I'd almost forgotten about the Upstrap camera straps when I'd suggested a Domke strap. Although I don't own one, an Upstrap is definitely on my list. They're also made in a relatively progressive democracy (I try very hard to base all of my purchase decisions on this condition), and I've heard nothing but rave reviews. I think based on complete comfort, especially with slr's and anything but the most compact lenses, they very likely edge out the Domke Gripper. Not really being able to closely imagine what the M5 and a Leica lens weighs, it's a bit hard for me venture a good guess whether this would be a better choice than the Domke for you. But I think I'd urge you to go for the Upstrap, and again, if you go for the Domke, I would definitely only consider the widest one. For looks, the Domke has it, for me at least, but the Upstrap certainly doesn't look bad, and I think in the pictures they look wider than they actually are (1 3/8" for the model I'm considering, and that I think might also be appropriate for you. It's the "SG Mid Black Pad" (or the same model just below it with Kevlar) about half-way down this page: http://www.upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLST</p>

<p>But for me, at least, Domke <em>bags</em> reign supreme:)! Glad you're leaning towards them, and I think that they are another product that once you buy the right one, you will tune out all the noise, and like it even more ten years down the road. My only complaint with them is the noisy velcro on the F-5XB, but that's minor (there's little or none on my F-6 and F-2). You really want to think about the right one for your anticipated <em>particular</em> needs though, so that it's the right size, and you'll be happy with it. One of the satchel type might be great if you think you'll be carrying paper-work, a small laptop, etc., or one of the shoulder bags like I have might be best, if not. There's a lot in the archives here that you can search on, too, and it seems Domke's come up with several new bags in the last year or so. I'd stay with cotton canvas, though, instead of the other material. It looks great, is soft and fairly body-conforming, ages well, and will be perfect with that beautiful M5.</p>

<p>Congratulations on your nice find Cody, and I wish you the best of luck with it! If it needs a CLA, or if you have other questions, as you probably already know, there are many people here who are very knowledgeable and willing to help.</p>