good monolight studio setup recommendation

mindy_van_hecke1

<p>Thanks for your opinions <br>

I have read for hours and can't seem to sort thru the different recommendations, so Im hoping by posting my requirements I can narrow it down. I want a <strong>basic studio setup</strong>- Im thinking <strong>monolights</strong> to shoot some <strong>portraits and some kids and family photos</strong> in a studio setting. I strongly prefer natural light but have found that there have been enough people who have had nothing available during daylight and want a very basic setup for those rare times when I cant get them outside. Since I only want to do this when forced, I just want to the best of the lower priced ones. Since kids will be moving around I figure I have to have some decent power for my main light to stop the motion. I need a monolight so it has adjustable power and a modeling light so I can see where light is falling. I also want a decent light so if I end up getting into studio more its not a throw away- something I can build on. <br>

1. What exact light or kit would you recommend? Recommendation as to buying it used?<br>

2. Can you get a decent main light and just get cheap hair and kicker light/backround light? Probably a dumb question but for a hair light couldnt you just use a simple clamp lamp with a regular hight watt daylight bulb? </p>

<p>All I have right now is a black backdrop and one of those huge 5 in one reflectors. </p>

<p>Im no pro, but love it and have been doing it for a few years now. I have a Rebel XTi, a speedlite 430 EXii, lens: 50mm L Series 1.4 and a 17-85 IS zoom. Next week I also have to shoot my teenage neighbor for her headshots for her dance school addmission- she needs 2 headshots and 2 full body. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Mindy, Most cheaper monolights are not terribly useful when it comes to seeing where the shadows fall from the dim modeling lights. I really enjoy my SP monolights. I have mostly the Excalibur 3200's, but they can't be turned down enough in a living room sized studio. You may find that 1600's (160 watt second) lights will be fine.</p>

<p>Don't know the price of the Alien Bee's, but they sure are doing a great job in building their product lineup, and I would probably go that route if I was to do it all again now. (PaulCBuff.com).</p>

<p>If you buy used, you may well spend a lot more money replacing the bulb, so I usually recommend going new with lower end monolights. Question 2: Yes, that would work. In fact, this shot (from many moons ago), was done with a single shop light (the ones with the 12" reflector) and a 150 watt light bulb. It was all I could afford, but it is still one of my favorite shots.</p>

<p>Sorry, this is a different shot. Sorry for it being a PNG.</p>