terms that should be abolished from use with respect to photography for the betterment of the craft

f_ph1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<ul>

<li>Tack sharp (it's a lens, not a nail)</li>

<li>Flash (Dude, it's called a strobe)</li>

<li>Walk-around lens (unless it has legs and feet)</li>

<li>Point-and-shoot (it's a technique, not a camera design)</li>

<li>W/NW (includes every possibility, so why bother writing it?)</li>

</ul>

<p>'Prosumer', as in 'I imagine one of Canikon's prosumer lenses will be perfectly adequate for your needs, though obviously a serious photographer like me would only buy professional gear'. The original meaning of 'producer/consumer' is an interesting concept, but it now seems to have shifted to 'professional/consumer', jargon for 'enthusiast'.</p>

<p>'Making an image' for that snapshot of the Eiffel Tower.</p>

<p>'Pull the trigger', as in 'I've just pulled the trigger on Canikon's latest prosumer body at B&H. Wish me luck! ! !'.</p>

<p>'Deadpan' , as in 'The Schweppes Prize-winning image of a bored teenager epitomises the Deadpan Style'.</p>

<p>'Build quality', as in 'Are you sure this polycarbonate prosumer body has sufficient build quality for making images of my daughter's school soccer game?'.</p>

<p>Along with the unfortunate 'giclée', the other pretentious terms for common print types when displayed in galleries e.g., 'gelatin-silver' (b&w) and 'C-type' (colour).</p>

<p>Let's just adopt them all and then see if we manage to communicate between us and still talk about photography. I think we will all be send to the Off-topic forum to discuss something else - anything else.<br>

Did anyone mention: "Art is just an empty word"?</p>

<p>Lex, <strong>IQ</strong>? That's one I plumb forgot about. If there ever was photography word torture it's that one.</p>

<p>Now if I can kindly and respectfully ask you to not use the word "parlance" ever again among your wonderfully fulfilling prose here at Photo.net, I'ld much appreciate it.</p>

<p>Parlance? Really? Not cool, man! Not cool!</p>

<p>David,</p>

<p>I can't agree with that one, originally telephoto lens was used to describe a long focus lens that was shorter than its focal length. Nowadays they basically all are, so they truly are all telephotos. What isn't is a tele, is a 70-200 zoom, it is not a tele zoom.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...and 'Lomography'. Enough is enough.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I absolutely agree whole heartedly. However since most 'Lomography' cameras are one aperture and one shutter speed (with maybe bulb thrown in) then I guess they can't stop. Down with the term anyways I say.</p>